Just Lost My Entire Save

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Last Wolf

Just Lost My Entire Save

Postby Last Wolf » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 pm

So yeah, I was just playing FTL and the game decided to crash on me. No biggy. I'll just restart, right? No. My entire save has been wiped. No ships, no achievements, nothing. Is there any way to get my save back or am I just screwed?
boa13

Re: Just Lost My Entire Save

Postby boa13 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:25 pm

You are just screwed, unfortunately. :(

You could try running some kind of undelete utility, but considering the file is very small, and there's usually important disk activity in modern operating systems, the chances are very slim you'll get your file back.

A forum user has created a tool to edit profiles, so that you can unlock your ships again and get your achievements back (if you remember them). You'll have to be strong to resist the temptation to unlock more, of course. :mrgreen: See this thread for more information: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2877
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:37 pm

depending on the OS, there's a restore previous version utility sometimes
xXSoulSlayerXx

Postby xXSoulSlayerXx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:37 am

The game likes to idiotically delete your previous save when you quit out of it without pressing the save & exit button or when the game just randomly crashes. I got my saves deleted a few times because of that... However, you can find saves with all of the ships unlocked very easily on the internet! Just remember to press the save & exit button every time you quit!
Ahhhhhh!!! Not the ion cannons!!!
icepick

Postby icepick » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:26 pm

xXSoulSlayerXx wrote:The game likes to idiotically delete your previous save when you quit out of it without pressing the save & exit button or when the game just randomly crashes. I got my saves deleted a few times because of that... However, you can find saves with all of the ships unlocked very easily on the internet! Just remember to press the save & exit button every time you quit!

That only affects your continue, not your profile...
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:30 pm

xXSoulSlayerXx wrote:The game likes to idiotically delete your previous save when you quit out of it without pressing the save & exit button or when the game just randomly crashes. I got my saves deleted a few times because of that... However, you can find saves with all of the ships unlocked very easily on the internet! Just remember to press the save & exit button every time you quit!

In addition to what was already said about the difference between your "last game" save and your "profile" save, it's not necessary to download a random save file from someone else on the internet - there are utilities on this very forum for editing your current profile to unlock only what you want to, rather than arbitrarily copying someone else's data, without losing any of your own scores.
Emetivore

Postby Emetivore » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:04 pm

In my opinion, this is a major flaw in an otherwise fantastic game.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Did you ever find a solution Last Wolf?
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Emetivore wrote:In my opinion, this is a major flaw in an otherwise fantastic game.

If profile loss occurs, then that certainly is a major flaw. However, that seems to be a very rare occurrence (I think I've only seen one or two people who've reported it happening), and may likely be related to non-game issues (ie system crashes, viruses, etc).
Farlark

Postby Farlark » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:37 am

Icehawk78 wrote:
Emetivore wrote:In my opinion, this is a major flaw in an otherwise fantastic game.

If profile loss occurs, then that certainly is a major flaw. However, that seems to be a very rare occurrence (I think I've only seen one or two people who've reported it happening), and may likely be related to non-game issues (ie system crashes, viruses, etc).

This same thing just happened to me. All I did was quit without saving. I hope they fix it in the next patch {I'm currently running 1.02.5).