No sound on Linux

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Exedra

No sound on Linux

Postby Exedra » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:44 am

So I recently switched to linux and decided to play some FTL. Unfortunately when I launched it there was no sound, or sound for a split second and then nothing. After running it in the console I noticed it said an error about a missing BASS library, which I then installed, however it is still not working, and I've tried searching but can't find any other post with this error happening.

Loading Arch = amd64
Initializing Crash Catcher...
Initializing Video
Video Initialized
Opengl version = 3.0 Mesa 17.2.2
Creating FBO...
Starting audio library...
sh: safe_fifo: command not found
Audio Initialized!

Resource Preload: 3.012
Loading text....
Initializing animations...
Animations Initialized!
Loading Ship Blueprints....
Blueprints Loaded!
Initializing Sound Data....
Generating world...
Loading achievements...
Loading score file...
Running Game!

The game now crashes on start up, but the issue still seems to be with the audio section, which is bolded. Anyone have any ideas?
isla

Re: No sound on Linux

Postby isla » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:50 pm

The last time it came up, it turns out their .asoundrc file was not selecting the correct default alsa device (Pulseaudio). At this point, I would highly recommend updating your drivers, just to see if that changes anything immediately.

Yet another possibility, if you are using Pulseaudio, which someone brought to our attention about a month ago is applying the following to ~/.asoundrc (in your home directory/wherever Steam is if you are using Steam):

pcm.!default {
type pulse
hint.description "Default Audio Device"
}

ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

Put simply, the game wants to use ALSA, and may be defaulting to not use Pulseaudio.

I'm sorry for the lack of a clear answer, but I hope this helps.
Exedra

Postby Exedra » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:41 am

isla wrote:The last time it came up, it turns out their .asoundrc file was not selecting the correct default alsa device (Pulseaudio). At this point, I would highly recommend updating your drivers, just to see if that changes anything immediately.

Yet another possibility, if you are using Pulseaudio, which someone brought to our attention about a month ago is applying the following to ~/.asoundrc (in your home directory/wherever Steam is if you are using Steam):

pcm.!default {
type pulse
hint.description "Default Audio Device"
}

ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

Put simply, the game wants to use ALSA, and may be defaulting to not use Pulseaudio.

I'm sorry for the lack of a clear answer, but I hope this helps.

Oh my goodness, thank you so much, this has been bugging me for days. Made the file at ~/.asoundrc and now it works perfectly. Thank you for your help.
isla

Postby isla » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks for letting me know it was useful!