Zoltan crew members are annoying.

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
zarakon

Zoltan crew members are annoying.

Postby zarakon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:54 pm

The way that Zoltan crew members add power only to the room that they're in causes a lot of problems when they move around, particularly when they move from a powered room into an empty room. The way they only add power to the #1 weapon, even if it is not enabled, also causes problems.

My Zoltans aren't allowed anywhere near the weapons room, for fear that they might accidentally toggle off one of my weapons. I have to try to avoid moving them through the shield room. I usually keep them in the O2 or Cloaking room just so they won't cause trouble.

While the idea of having them power their current system is neat, it's troublesome when the game has to make decisions on where to reallocate and deallocate power as they move around. I think it would work much better if each Zoltan crewman on the ship simply added 1 to the ship's total power.

edit: oops, I meant to post this in General, but I guess it sort of makes sense here too.
icepick

Re: Zoltan crew members are annoying.

Postby icepick » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Well when you move them, make sure you have a free power bar for each one. Problem solved.

Tedious? Yes. But zoltans are pretty freaking awesome, so it's a tradeoff worth making.
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 pm

I find Zoltans to be my most-desired crew once I get a rock or two. Keep them in the engine room to power it if you're concerned about other systems shutting down. But really, I tend to keep them as the ones who are on the stations and have other people move about the rooms.
icepick

Postby icepick » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Oh they are also cool b/c you can keep two (or more) in your shield (or whatever) room and keep things powered even through ion damage.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Zoltan are second only to the Mantis. But then i would say that.

A healthy mix is:
Engi on Helm and Weapons - for quick repairs
Zoltan on Engines and Shields - for extra energy
Mantis onboard enemy vessel - for fun and profit

Humans are very versatile, they should not be underestimated. I find Slugs to be the same. Rocks are better at soaking up damage that being at a station. Slow, but dependable.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
TJJ

Postby TJJ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:31 pm

icepick wrote:Oh they are also cool b/c you can keep two (or more) in your shield (or whatever) room and keep things powered even through ion damage.

Is that true? :o
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

zarakon

Postby zarakon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Well here's something that I would actually consider a bug:

Power on your weapons such that you are using the full power of your weapons system with #1 disabled. Walk a Zoltan into the room, and one of those weapons will be switched off as the power is diverted to #1.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Yeah, Zoltans are annoying in weapon rooms. When I had one and took damage, I found I had to reorder my weapons to handle his "contraints". I prefer to put them in other rooms.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Spazticus

Postby Spazticus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm

TJJ wrote:
icepick wrote:Oh they are also cool b/c you can keep two (or more) in your shield (or whatever) room and keep things powered even through ion damage.

Is that true? :o

It's true. Next time you have two Zoltans, put them both in the shield room, and keep them there. Normal hits can take your shield down, but if you have the two of them there before any ions hit, you'll keep at least one point of shielding intact.

Actually, the same applies to any system you want to keep from getting locked down by ions, for example the medbay, transporter, or your cloak during the boss fight. Or, if you have one or two low power weapons you always want available. As others have noted, if you have to shuffle them around a lot, it's just not as effective.
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Maybe they could be changed to always provide +1 total power while on board, AND one point of ion protection in their current room.