Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Ontamu
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:26 pm

Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby Ontamu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:34 pm

So I got the rebel fighter event that imidiately starts charging his boosters and tries to inform the fleet of your position.

I had a crew member on the ship as it jumped away, and I jumped imidiately after that, expecting that my crewmember will get cloned, but he just dissapeared. I notice that there is a small delay between the crewmembers death and when his clone starts charging up (atleast there is a visual one)

I think jumping to a new sector during this short period caused my crewmember to dissapear. The cloning bay was undamaged and fully powered. This happened with Mantis C.

Best Regards
User avatar
R4V3-0N
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Last Federation Fleet
Contact:

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:30 pm

This is not a bug.

You only clone people when they die. Your crew member didn't die. He is just away from you.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Jai
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby Jai » Thu May 01, 2014 8:45 am

More specifically, Federation Regulations forbid cloning of a person who is alive and elsewhere, and it's more important to follow regulation than save the galaxy.

Also, somehow cloning doesn't cure diseases, which makes no sense even in the pseudo-science world of 9 second cloning.
User avatar
5thHorseman
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 am
Location: On the bridge of The Potential
Contact:

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu May 01, 2014 9:01 am

Jai wrote:More specifically, Federation Regulations forbid cloning of a person who is alive and elsewhere, and it's more important to follow regulation than save the galaxy.

Also, somehow cloning doesn't cure diseases, which makes no sense even in the pseudo-science world of 9 second cloning.


You don't actually clone the person. They wear a wristband that, upon death, disintegrates them and teleports them back to a holding buffer in the clone bay, which then reconstructs them exactly as they were at the time of death, but with their wounds healed.

This is why you can't clone your guys as they jump away, why enemy ships get clones of guys on your ship from previous encounters, and why your guy still has the plague after being cloned.

It doesn't explain why they call them "clones" but hey, I can't think of everything.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Jai
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby Jai » Thu May 01, 2014 10:35 pm

5thHorseman wrote:
Jai wrote:More specifically, Federation Regulations forbid cloning of a person who is alive and elsewhere, and it's more important to follow regulation than save the galaxy.

Also, somehow cloning doesn't cure diseases, which makes no sense even in the pseudo-science world of 9 second cloning.


You don't actually clone the person. They wear a wristband that, upon death, disintegrates them and teleports them back to a holding buffer in the clone bay, which then reconstructs them exactly as they were at the time of death, but with their wounds healed.

This is why you can't clone your guys as they jump away, why enemy ships get clones of guys on your ship from previous encounters, and why your guy still has the plague after being cloned.

It doesn't explain why they call them "clones" but hey, I can't think of everything.


That can't be entirely accurate, as the game text mentions 'copies' on at least one occasion. There's also a 'DNA Bank' that is specifically for saving their DNA to clone later, so yeah, they're clones.

I have no idea where you got the wrist band thing, I've never seen it mentioned in-game, is it something the creators released or just your personal theory?

I think the reality is, for obvious game-play reasons, they didn't want you making a million copies of your crew, and didn't want every crew death to be reversible, so they came up with some whacky reasons why it works the way it does, and those reasons aren't entirely sensible or consistent.
User avatar
5thHorseman
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 am
Location: On the bridge of The Potential
Contact:

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 am

Jai wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:
Jai wrote:More specifically, Federation Regulations forbid cloning of a person who is alive and elsewhere, and it's more important to follow regulation than save the galaxy.

Also, somehow cloning doesn't cure diseases, which makes no sense even in the pseudo-science world of 9 second cloning.


You don't actually clone the person. They wear a wristband that, upon death, disintegrates them and teleports them back to a holding buffer in the clone bay, which then reconstructs them exactly as they were at the time of death, but with their wounds healed.

This is why you can't clone your guys as they jump away, why enemy ships get clones of guys on your ship from previous encounters, and why your guy still has the plague after being cloned.

It doesn't explain why they call them "clones" but hey, I can't think of everything.


That can't be entirely accurate, as the game text mentions 'copies' on at least one occasion.

I explain this the same way I explain the use of the word 'clone' in the first place :D

Jai wrote:There's also a 'DNA Bank' that is specifically for saving their DNA to clone later, so yeah, they're clones.

That one's easy. The personal while-dying teleporter gets you to the clone bay, but your atoms will disperse if it's off for too long. The backup bank saves those atoms until you can turn the clone bay on.

Jai wrote:I have no idea where you got the wrist band thing, I've never seen it mentioned in-game, is it something the creators released or just your personal theory?

Neither. It's my own personal invention with 0 intention that it's actually the way things work, but it fits what actually happens in the game better than the way it's explained so I'm going with it. IE: I'm Star Treking.

Jai wrote:I think the reality is, for obvious game-play reasons, they didn't want you making a million copies of your crew, and didn't want every crew death to be reversible, so they came up with some whacky reasons why it works the way it does, and those reasons aren't entirely sensible or consistent.

I agree, but my lore gives a(n admittedly poor) in-universe reason for the way the game was designed.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
project_mercy
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:31 am

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby project_mercy » Fri May 02, 2014 6:21 am

5thHorseman wrote:I agree, but my lore gives a(n admittedly poor) in-universe reason for the way the game was designed.


I opted for the simpler answer.

Your crew hates you. They know you're probably going to die in a horrible fiery death or ate by giant spiders, and they were just hitching a ride to get to one of those fancy planets with the friendly horse-creatures.

When they had an out, they took it.
hybridfive
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby hybridfive » Fri May 02, 2014 2:06 pm

I take a more pessimistic view. Your former crew members are confused by the lack of communication from their captain. They are overwhelmed, captured, and restrained. They'd kill themselves and clone back to you, but they can't. The enemy crew cuffs them, then forcibly disables the device that communicates with your cloning bay. They're slaves now.
Jai
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby Jai » Fri May 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Actually, I really like the wristband theory, except make it a brain implant.

In the FTL case, when the person dies the brain implant sends out a 'Save Me!' message. If there's a friendly clone bay in range, the clone bay then immediately transports the body back, extracts some DNA, and clones the body. When the body is complete, the brain implant is injected to restore the persons memories and skills. Unfortunately the Combat-Certified cloning bays used on most military vessels are designed for speed over safety, so any dangerous viruses or other dna-based infections in the host body are likely to be re-created in the clone.

Since each person only gets one brain implant, you can't create multiple clones because they would be brainless automatons and no good for anything but spare parts. You also can't clone the person if they aren't dead, because you don't have the brain implant.

Although the implants are internal and well armored, crew bodies are quite vulnerable in the chaos of space-age combat. DNA is quickly corrupted in the vacuum of space, bodies are easily destroyed in plasma fires & by laser blasts, & enemy crew tend to vaporize fallen opponents to prevent their reconstruction, so it's useful to have a backup of your crew's DNA in case the cloning bay is offline when needed, but such systems are expensive and take up considerable space, so few ships are equipped with them.


OK, I think this plugs all the plot holes except for the case where the crew member dies of disease and you have a backup DNA bank, in which case you really should be able to reconstruct the body from the backup. I haven't actually tried this, but I presume the event doesn't account for this.
shadowcrust
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby shadowcrust » Fri May 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Jai wrote:it's useful to have a backup of your crew's DNA in case the cloning bay is offline when needed, but such systems are expensive and take up considerable space


Jai wrote:OK, I think this plugs all the plot holes


Except that a couple million copies of your DNA need much less than a cubic mm of space ;-)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests