game needs autosave

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
boa13

Re: game needs autosave

Postby boa13 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Nope. In order to be fixed, it would have to be considered a defect. I have read in a thread that the defect is that the game sometimes crashes, not that it erases the continue file after it has loaded it.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:57 pm

boa13 wrote:Nope. In order to be fixed, it would have to be considered a defect. I have read in a thread that the defect is that the game sometimes crashes, not that it erases the continue file after it has loaded it.

Technically, I'd consider implementing an autosave a "defect" in the same manner as "not showing the connections between remote stars", which was later changed after development moved to "bugfixes only".

From a programming perspective, depending on how their codebase is currently implemented, it wouldn't necessarily be a large change, either - a function call to "deleteSave" and then immediately after to "writeSave" immediately after each jump, and an explicit call to "deleteSave" upon death and game over, unless these aren't currently existing functions, in which case it'd be a slightly larger effort.

However, I think the real issue would be convincing the developers that the additional stability to users who either have system or application issues that occur mid-game is worthwhile enough to add in, and I've not seen any input from them either way on this topic.
Emetivore

Postby Emetivore » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:33 am

My XCOM ironman game froze last night and I had to end the process.

Guess what? It didn't delete my save.

So, what is the problem FTL?
Apollysis

Postby Apollysis » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:22 am

A crash does not cause it to delete the game because there is no game save for it to delete is the problem. Right up until you save a quit there is nothing keeping a record of your game progress. An autosave feature would simple ensure that if your game crashed you could keep playing but if you died it would delete the autosave. The spirit of the game would remain intact.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:20 am

Emetivore wrote:My XCOM ironman game froze last night and I had to end the process.

Guess what? It didn't delete my save.

So, what is the problem FTL?

FTL does not delete your save when it crashes. It deletes your save right after it has loaded it in memory. Until you use Save&Quit, the save is not created. It's a design decision. One you can argue about, of course. :)
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
lemurek

Postby lemurek » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:14 pm

boa13 wrote:Nope. In order to be fixed, it would have to be considered a defect. I have read in a thread that the defect is that the game sometimes crashes, not that it erases the continue file after it has loaded it.

Bump again. Do you have a link to that threat please? I'd stop bothering if it was official :) Or get back to game if it was not crashing as often.