Losing Crew Unfairly!

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
D0nn311y321

Losing Crew Unfairly!

Postby D0nn311y321 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 pm

When I was playing just a regular game of ftl I came upon a slug interceptor.

I teleported my 2 mantis into their oxygen bay when they had one hull point remaining. I could not stop my mantis from attacking the system nor teleport them back and they went down with the ship when the 02 chamber got destroyed.

This isn't very bad unless u r a retard like me but I was just wondering if it could be fixed. Not much of a bug but hoping u could stop them from attacking a system if u wanted 2.
5thHorseman

Re: Losing Crew Unfairly!

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:17 am

If you notice this before it happens (and it happens to all of us. It just happened to me on a Let's Play that I've not uploaded yet) you can send the guys to an empty room. If there are no empty rooms, just keep selecting new rooms to run them to until your teleporter has recharged.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:15 am

But if it's the ship where the O2 is isolated, there's nowhere to run.
D0nn311y321

Postby D0nn311y321 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:15 am

I know about moving my crew around the ship but this was on a slug interceptor which has a O2 room sperated from the rest of the ship and is completely by itself. Only way to access is by teleport. One way in & one way out.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:49 am

That does indeed suck, and I could see wanting a bit finer control in those situations.

But losing crew is a fact of FTL life. This is merely one of the more unfair ways it could happen.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

mqstout

Postby mqstout » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:36 pm

My first (and so far only) time doing this was just this last weekend. Slug B vs the rebel flagship, phase one. I lost my two mantis boarders when they destroyed the last point of hull. And I'd only sent them over to take out the crewman who was still alive in the beam weapon room. Nowhere for them to run from there.

I still managed to make it, but it was much scarier than it would have been were I to have had my boarders for phases 2 and 3.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Here's a great example of this, though it was totally due to my own stupidity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbhCkGp968

The tragedy starts at about 14:55.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

D0nn311y321

Postby D0nn311y321 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 am

5thHorseman wrote:Here's a great example of this, though it was totally due to my own stupidity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbhCkGp968

The tragedy starts at about 14:55.

Lol :D
AruPlaysFTL

Postby AruPlaysFTL » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 am

This happened to me once. It is definitely one of the more unsatisfying ways to lose things in this game. If only you could simply tell your crew, "no, don't attack the system, or you'll kill yourselves. Instead, just idle and wait for the teleporter to charge". But no.. they're too dumb to hear you telling them not to kill themselves.

I understand that the uncontrollable crew action priority adds strategy to the game, but would it be too much to ask for just one controllable action that trumps others? That is, the ability to force crew to idle?
textheavy

Postby textheavy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 am

I've only been playing for a couple of weeks, but this seems like one of those things that you get with a game that's all about attention to detail.

The first four times I tried using the crew transporter I killed the crew or lost them to an FTL jump.
1. Transported crew to a automatic drone and they asphyxiated before I could transport them back
2. Transported crew into the Ion weapon room of the first flagship encounter, and then immediately defeated the flagship and destroyed them
3. Transported crew onto a rebel ship just before it jumped away, taking them with it
4. Transported crew onto a ship that was only one hull point from destruction, then it got hit by an asteroid and was destroyed

I learned my lesson each time, and although I've had a few other close calls, I've learned to pause the game constantly to take stock of the situation with each system so that I can correct before things get out of hand.