Asteriod Storm

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
nataryeahbuddy

Asteriod Storm

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:17 pm

I was playing with the blueprints.xml file, and when I restarted FTL and landed in a beacon with an asteroid field, the asteroids shot really fast and destroyed my ship. Is there a way I can make the asteroids go back to the normal state?
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
boa13

Re: Asteriod Storm

Postby boa13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm

A few players have reported encounters with very fast asteroids, with the unmodded game. So, it is possible that your deadly encounter had no relation to your blueprints.xml modifications. I suggest you play some more, and see if the problem occurs again. :)
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 am

I can't help much with mods since we don't follow particularly closely what people are doing with them. But if you do encounter a problem repeatedly of abnormally fast asteroids, that could be an in-game bug. Videos would be the most helpful for debugging, but obviously that's a lot to ask for.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Matthew wrote:I can't help much with mods since we don't follow particularly closely what people are doing with them. But if you do encounter a problem repeatedly of abnormally fast asteroids, that could be an in-game bug. Videos would be the most helpful for debugging, but obviously that's a lot to ask for.

A few Infinite Space players reported this as well, but as far as I know no modder has figured out a way to affect asteroid speed/spawn frequency. Maybe if asteroid speed/spawn rate is handed the same way drone <speed> is, but divided by some random number....?
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
irons77

Postby irons77 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Hello,
I believe I have the same problem. Just like asteroid bombardment, or rain. It only happened once or twice for last week, and I considered it a weird glitch. But today it hitted me 5 times on 5 asteroid belts. Im uploading a few screenshots, with list of installed mods.
btw, Im playing on mac, dont know if it is of some importance, just fyi.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Can you try to reproduce the problem without mods?
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
irons77

Postby irons77 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:06 am

Okay, Ill try to turn off mods one at a time to determine which one is causing this.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 am

Haha. It's the level 5 shields. Asteroid frequency is partially computed by shield level of the player and the enemy (it's the only thing in the game that is partially scaled to the player). And I guess the code doesn't appreciate player ships having level 5 shields since that shouldn't be possible :) I'll see if that can get fixed for a later patch.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 am

Does level 7 cloaking actually provide any benefit?
irons77

Postby irons77 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:33 am

Nice Matthew, Im unloading advanced battle systems to make sure that one is causing it. And lvl 7 cloaking provide 40 sec. of cloak i believe - only way to let your ftl charge and get out of that asteroid storm.