Engi Cruiser - First Try

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
CaptainKraft

Engi Cruiser - First Try

Postby CaptainKraft » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:15 pm

The other day I decided to hop in the Engi Cruiser for the first time, just to check it out. The drones are badass and I love using them instead of weapons.

The run was ironically my best run yet. I made it all the way to the final stand, but I got wrecked by the final boss.

During the run I had found a ton of great stuff for my ship: Anti Ship Drone II, 2 Burst Lasers, and I had so many crew members that I had to boot one of them to add a Zoltan to the ship haha.

I even unlocked the first stealth ship via a quest in the Engi Homeworlds (I think?).

Best run ever...

Come to find out, my fraps decided to crap out on me and stopped recording half way through. I was sooooo pumped to put the run up on YouTube. I'm surprised I didn't break my keyboard I was so pissed.

Anyway, the Engi ship is pretty sweet, but I can't wait to try out that stealth!
UltraMantis

Re: Engi Cruiser - First Try

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:13 am

Boy are you going to hurt when you try the stealth... Just like the Torus, it plays very differently to a regualr weapons-based ship like the Kestrel.

My first run with the Torus was very confusing. It was hard to adjust but i liked it for being different. And for the Ion Blast II, c'mon that thing is purest evil. Just like your case, i couldn't crack the boss. Sadly i didn't have enough firepower so it ended in a stalemate. Which means he won.

If fraps is giving you crap try Gregion. It requires some setup but at least it doesnt create 70+gB files. You'll want the xvid codec if you havent got it already, works nicely.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
CaptainKraft

Postby CaptainKraft » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:30 pm

I've seen some videos of the stealth ship and it's definitely a different beast.

Thanks
POM_Fenris

Postby POM_Fenris » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 am

I'm surprised you guys had trouble with the engi cruiser! Obviously you start with an AS Drone I and an Ion Blast II. When I got to the boss I had This setup:

- Ion Blast II
- Ion Blast II
- Heavy Ion

- AS Drone I
- AS Drone I
- Defence Drone I

Entire playthough, I repaired only twice, once after an Ion Storm, and once after the second iteration of the boss fight, where he send a zillion drones at you.
CaptainKraft

Postby CaptainKraft » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Were you playing on easy? I've never seen a run go that smoothly on normal. If you were on normal, you are either badass or super lucky... maybe a bit of both
POM_Fenris

Postby POM_Fenris » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Okay, admittedly I was on easy, you got me. Never had the balls for normal yet, that was the only time I've ever beaten the boss.
Engi_MachoMan

Postby Engi_MachoMan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 pm

The Engi Cruiser is the only ship I've actually beaten the boss with. I had a very similar setup.

Two Ion Cannon II

One Heavy Ion

Two Anti-ship Drone I

One Anti-ship Drone II

At the last minute, I invest in Cloaking just for the boss, which worked magic.

In addition, my crew composition ended with four total Engi's, two Rockmen, and two humans. Using my Ion weaponry (which attained very early), I was able to train multiple crew members to be proficient at separate systems. It was by far my longest play-through ever.

The Torus is my favorite ship. Not simply because I actually beat that scoundrel rebel puss, but I just love the layout and aesthetic. Admittedly thought, Rocks and the Engi Medi-bot Augment makes intruders and fires form no bead of sweat on my brow.
POM_Fenris

Postby POM_Fenris » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:07 pm

I have to say, I love this ship more than any other (except possibly Mantis B) just cause the ions and drone make a great team! No need to worry about their shields, less need to use medbay (assuming you pick up a couple of rocks/mantis) and engis are great at repair. I give this ship an Eiffel Tower.
ErinTevra

Postby ErinTevra » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 pm

torus lover here :D, medibot is hands down one of the best augments, saves my ass from early invasions so many times, drones are incredibly efficient and fun to use (no waiting for ur weapon cool-downs to align for any weapon heavy ship) and once you get a recovery arm, the game is almost waiting to be beat...but the most enticing thing about the torus is definitely the ion blaster 2, 1 shot every 4 seconds? super easy lvling up anybody on weapons? count me in...once you get used it, its one of the easiest ships to run on normal, easy becomes an almost guaranteed win...
Madhax

Postby Madhax » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 pm

ErinTevra wrote:torus lover here :D, medibot is hands down one of the best augments, saves my ass from early invasions so many times, drones are incredibly efficient and fun to use (no waiting for ur weapon cool-downs to align for any weapon heavy ship) and once you get a recovery arm, the game is almost waiting to be beat...but the most enticing thing about the torus is definitely the ion blaster 2, 1 shot every 4 seconds? super easy lvling up anybody on weapons? count me in...once you get used it, its one of the easiest ships to run on normal, easy becomes an almost guaranteed win...

You like the medibot dispersal? I've never had much use for that augment. The healing rate is so weak that it's hardly consequential in any situation, and the only way it would "save your ass" is if you weren't paying attention to enemy boarders. Just vent parts of the ship and/or retreat to the medbay.

The only situation I could think of where a medibot dispersal would come in handy is if you had a crew full of mantis on a ship where the oxygen system was out and you needed to buy the time to fix it before your crew suffocates, but the chances of that are quite low.