Otherwise: An FTL-RP

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
dyno101

Re: Otherwise: An FTL-RP

Postby dyno101 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:03 pm

"I know by what we were researching this entity would likely not put up a public bounty - or tell anyone, really. I'm going to go see about the cell we were in."

The halls were unsurprisingly covered in blood and broken blaster pistols. The cell was a short drift away, and was connected to the main ship by an abnormally thick door. Prying it open revealed that the door's thickness was caused by an abundance of gadgetry.

"The room itself may have been meant to mask our life signs - perhaps originally to smuggle us across civilized areas and then to hide us from the Mantis which seem to have raided this ship. The real question is why the life support remained on."

After exiting the cell, it became clear this was a rather small ship. The only other rooms were the crew cabins and the engine operation room. Algen decided to investigate the crew cabin first, hoping it would give a clue to what happened on the ship.

Inside the crew cabin was the camera station. It was disabled just like most of the ship, and its records didn't seem to be stored elsewhere. Upon further investigation, he found a lost datapad floating near one of the bunks that still had some power left. As do most datapads, a log of recent camera footage was kept on it. Algen grabbed the datapad and floated back to where the majority of the crew was.

"I might've found something interesting."
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Turzil spied the datapad in Algen's hand. "I am able to scan datapads. It will take some time but I will be able to go through any and all data in it, with your permission of course." Turzil looked around the Helm and realized something. "None of this is broken, just deactivated. If we could start the reactor core we could bring power back to the ship."
AI41

Postby AI41 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 pm

As the other three climbed through the ventilation, Dargjas seeped through the ship until he reached the oxygen.
"The others will probably like an oxygen upgrade." Dargjas muttered to himself. "I wonder why the ship is abandoned but the basic life support's still on?" Dargjas seeped back through the ship, solidifying behind the others. As Mawkish mentioned searching the ship, Dargjas replied "Already upgraded and searched O2." Dargjas seeped through the ship and began searching the engines. "Ok, power's down, foreign control system. Ummmm, maybe this button." Dargjas muttered, trying to restart the ship's reactor.

EDIT: Made it less vague on where Dargjas is.
Last edited by AI41 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: Shipyard Complex Overload
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 pm

"Please do, Turzil. That datapad might also contain the ship's schematics - and, more importantly, how we turn on the reactor."

Algen noticed an interesting switch on the pilot's control panel. It clearly wasn't originally there, as the switch was jutting from the clean surface and entangled in wires which fed into the ship's hull. It seemed to be on, and turning it off seemingly did nothing. As Algen returned to the halls to continue his exploration, he noticed a small light blinking red inside the door to their cell.

"So that's what that did!"

He hurriedly floated back to the pilot's room, narrowly grazing a few walls.

"I figured out how we survived that Mantis attack. I was right before - that cell masked our life signs, hiding our presence from the Mantis. That whole setup looked very expensive - we're clearly high-value captives. The faster this ship is on, the better."
"Blamsauce!"
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Turzil took the datapad and inserted it into himself. "Estimated scanning time: 216.375 seconds." He then became very still and floated in midair. He shut himself from the outside world, not intentionally but as part of his programming. He would be oblivious to anything around him for as long as he was scanning the data.
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 am

While Dargjas was fiddling with the helm, Maw decided to look at the crew quarters and engine room. There was nothing but the bunks in the crew quarters; it was stripped clean. He looked under one of the bunks, but found nothing. The other had a broken knife under it. The handle was gone, it was just a part of the blade. No blood... The engine room was just as unfamiliar as the helm. No identifying markings or insignia. Maw tried a few switches and buttons, but they did nothing. The whole ship was unnaturally sterile, except for the mantis blood at the cockpit.
AI41

Postby AI41 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:20 am

Dargjas gave up trying to turn on the reactor using the console and instead tried to start it manually. Bzzzt! The reactor crackled before shutting off again. Mawkish slithered in to the engine room, and began fiddling with the same engine console that Dargjas had just given up on. "Mawkish, we need to turn on the reactor before that console will do anything. I almost got the reactor going manually though, so ask Turzil if he might be able to construct a mechanism that'll stop it shutting off. In the meantime, I'm going to seep through to the main computer and find something there."
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:39 am

"Turzil's analyzing a datapad at the moment so he can't do much. I might look at it for a second, although It'll proabably be pointless."

Algen, lacking much else to do, floated over to the reactor and started tinkering with it.

Clearly, he thought, there has to be some specific cord which carries the charge which turns this thing on, right? Maybe it'll accept it if I send a signal through that. Let's just open up the operator's panel and...

The panel revealed stacks and bushels of cords and computing chips all linked to each other in seemingly meaningless ways. The entire system was covered in tiny pictographs and arrows which designate where the cords should go and was floating in a cube of shock-absorbing gel.

This is not my line of work.
"Blamsauce!"
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 am

Turzil finished analyzing and automatically stated, "Current Process 100%, data stored in memory bank." He then continued to talk about the contents of the data. "This ship is more then just these rooms." He floated to the tiled floor, felt it for a moment and then punched a certain tile. The tile was pushed into the floor, like a secret button. The sound of a series of mechanical parts all activated flooded the hallways. "And if the schematics are correct." He said as he floated into the room they were trapped in, a whole passageway was opened up revealing more of the ship. "The data states that in this secret area contains the shields system and a backup battery, both of these systems are likely still working as the raiders wouldn't know of their existence."
AI41

Postby AI41 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:59 am

Dargjas seeped back into the engine room. "I've had a think. I think we need to hotwire the control panel. Find two wires that seem to lead to reactor fuel valves, and override any computers hooked to them. Hmmm. Let's see. These two wires seem to be connected to what might be a fuel valve. Algen, pull them out of that console motherboard and put their ends together. I'll try and get that surge I heard earlier, and hope the engine starts.