[FTL RP, WE'RE BACK, REBOOTED!] The Rogue Cadets

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Jumbocarrot0

Re: [FTL RP, WE'RE BACK, REBOOTED!] The Rogue Cadets

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:58 pm

The black hole silenced everything. Nothing made a noise.
"What's happening?" Sediment asked to no one in particular. The ship was deactivated, completely off.
Grom was relieved that neither Bren nor Ruwen needed to be hooked up to anything electric, or they would be in deep trouble.
"All good?" Grom hoped the answer was yes. Of course neither were in any shape to reply, especially Bren who looked a lot worse after the wave passed through, as if all the energy in him was sucked out, like the energy in the Mutare.

The Scarab had a similar experience. As the wave passed through the Scarab it deactivated everything. Kira was also badly affected by the wave, becoming extremely fatigued. She couldn't move, she just slumped into the pilot chair and stayed there.

I figured if the energy wave was deactivated the ship systems than it would do for anything energy based as well, i.e. zoltans.
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Sat May 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Makes sense to me.

Seeing as there was nothing he could do in the cockpit, Jake got up and stumbled through the darkness. After much tripping and falling in the cockpit, Jake fumbled with a futuristic energy rifle. He activated the rifle, (relieved to see that it still worked) and turned on the extremely bright flashlight mounted at the top of the gun's body. He put the rifle in a comfortable shooting position, using it both as a light and a potential means of defense.

Leaving the cockpit, Jake found a handheld radio and clicked it on. (It seemed portable devices were not impacted by the power drainage) Jake went to the longest-range frequency the radio provided.

"Can anyone hear me?" Jake said. "This is Jake Collins... Captain of the Mature... Commander of the United Rogue Union"

bzzzzzzz...

Jake repeated the message.

bzzzzzzz...

Jake continued walking through the oppressive darkness. After a few minutes he found himself in a colder region of the ship. The wall to his left was the hull of the ship, and beyond it there was nothing but space and black sand. In fact, he could hear the low whistle of the sand as it blew across the outside of the hull. Jake looked out of the nearby window, and was surprised to see something solid drifting through the sand, only a few feet away! It was a rebel scout, completely deactivate and drifting alongside the Mature. Its guns were jammed outward, and Jake assumed it was about to blow them to pieces until they were saved by the bell... or rather, the black hole. Anyways, there was not a chance that the scout could do any harm now. It was in the same predicament as the Mature.

"Hello?" Someone was on the radio! The transmission was extremely faint, but there!

"Hi! Yes! Hi!" Jake responded. "Who is this?"

"I'm Johnathan Reynolds. Rank: Cadet. Rebel Registration 726-888. I'm aboard the USS Galiant."

"You're a Rebel?" Jake responded, the realization of who he was talking to sinking in.

"Uh... Yeah... Who is this?"

"Doesn't matter. Would you happen to be right next to the hull of your ship?"

"Yup. Nothin' but a few feet of steel separating me from space. Actually, glass, 'cause it's a window."

"Look out the window."

"Ok... Oh... There's a ship driftin' a few feet to port. Practically kissin' hulls."

"Shine... Shine your flashlight out the window." Jake said. He saw a faint light barely manage to find its way through the sand. "Now I'll shine mine."

"Ah... Ok... I'm starting to understan'... Yup... I see your light on that ship over yonder."

There was a long pause. Jake noticed the man was speaking in the accent of the Galzichoof colonies in the Hamsung cluster.

"Welp, we were tryin' blast your ship to pieces. But none of that matter' now." The cadet continued.

"What do you mean?"

"Whatever this is, it's bigger than us now. It's bigger than our battle."

"We could work together. We might have a greater chance of getting out of this thing alive."

"I hear ya'. Is there any chance we could dock? My fleet has been trying to map the wind patterns of this sand for weeks. No matter what position we get our ships in, the sand is always trying to drift us apart. And then of course, once a ship is just a few feet out of sight, it's gone. We figured that out the hard way."

"It's like the sand has a mind of its own." Jake said, nodding to no one.

"Nah. It's more like the sand obeys physics we don't understand. This sand don't belong here, in this universe I mean."

"Huh. Good point."

"So... how many of them have you seen?"

"Seen what?"

"Those creatures."

"What creatures?"

"I've seen four of these strange aliens run past me. They're damn fast. They got my buddy Caldwell."

"What did they look like?"

"They were incredibly tall, humanoid, but with long boney arms and legs. I didn't ever get a good look. They were too fast. And they don't make a sound. All you hear is the pitter patter of feet, but by then all you can do is run like hell."

"Where did they come from?"

"Hell if I know. These things appeared when our circuits died, just like you. I dunno if they teleported aboard or what. But a few minutes after our circuits went dead, me and Caldwell saw one run past. 'Few minutes later, one creeped up behind and got Caldwell. I barely escaped with my life."

"Shit."

"Shit is right, partner."

This isnt just another scary monster thing. This will progress a plotline. Dont worry, lol. Also other people feel free to post and take the plot in new directions! That's the point of an RP.
Me: Have you ever wanted to explore the galaxy... in a BANANA?
You: No.
Me: Well now you can! Click the link below for the one-and-only Banana Mod!
http://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32321
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Mysterious tall creatures roaming around in the dark killing everyone in their path? Reminds me of one or two things.

"SHIT!" is the word anyone near The Scarab's weapon system would've heard. Gorlag was stuck in the dark, no idea where anything was or could be. He stumbled around before he caught the sight of the glowing screen of King.
"Greetings, Gorlag." King started, "I was looking for someone. I'm not sure where Kira is."
"How'd you know it was me." The Slug asked.
"Unbeknownst to most entities, Engi have very basic night vision. It is not very good but." King stopped. "Kira?" he asked.
The faint sound of footsteps filled the hall.
"Hold on." Gorlag said. "I have some slug glowsticks, very useful in these situations." He pulled out a stick from his utility belt, stuffed between a wrench and spare batteries, and broke it, lighting up the room.
Several, if not dozens, of the tall humanoid creatures surrounded them, now hissing at the light. They were all, shadow like, and semi-transparent.
"Entity: Unknown. Relationship: Not established." King explained.
"That's pretty obvious!" Gorlag shouted back. "Ur, greetings. I am Gorlag and..." The glow-stick's light vanished and the creatures lunged at them, one of them tackling Gorlag to the ground. King ran away but was grabbed by the arm by one of the things. The nanites in the arm shifted and it fell off, allowing King to escape, one arm down. Yet another engi trick. He ran into a nearby hallway, a long-range comm system. King picked it up, set it to the highest frequency, which is hard with one hand, and hoped someone would pick up.
"This is the Engi King, of the Scarab, I urge anyone who is on this channel to respond."
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
"Anyone!"
Bzzzzzzzzzzzz... Someone picked up, however it took a while to translate.
"This is the Lanius fleet of the URU. Are you having similar problems on your ship?" King was relieved
"Yes, our power is out and we seem to be boarded by an unidentified humanoid creatures that are much taller."
"Than our problems are indee..." Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... Connection was lost again.
King tired to contact them again, with no avail.
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 pm

It certainly reminds me of the ghost event a while back, and a bit of the AI event. But that's a stretch. Anyways, when you're fighting a demonic supernatural entity things lend themselves to "dark and scary." :lol:

Jake slumped down, and continued to talk to the Rebel. He could tell that the Rebel was slowly getting further away, as the connection was straining.

"A while back, we encountered some ghosts-" Jake started.

"Seen it." The Rebel cut him off, unimpressed.

"Ummm... We encountered a demonic AI."

"That's unique."

"Yup."

"Have you seen the slime yet?"

"The what?"

"The slime."

"Um..."

"If you did you'd know what I was talking about. Hard to forget."

"I guess you spend alot of times around black holes."

"Too much time. People say stuff can't get out of a Black Hole. Maybe not physical stuff, but spiritual stuff."

"I wish people were right." Jakes words trailed off. There was a long pause.

"At this point I'm less of a soldier and more of a paranormal investigator. General Collins-" The soldier continued.

"Collins?"

"Yeah... He's a high up general in the field of Black Hole research. He's seen all of the side effects, as we call them."

"Is his first name David?"

"Uhh, yeah, something like that."

"David Collins..." Jake whispered.

"Listen, I know we arnt on the same side of this war. But we're in this mess together. Any way we could doc our ships?"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 27, 2018 10:44 pm

Lux found herself in the dark once the power went out across the Mutare. She tried the comms only to find that they were dead, so she quickly retraced her steps back to the medbay, guided by the light of her flashlight. There she quickly found a portable radio underneath a console. Voices could be faintly heard through the static. Growling, snarling voices, punctuated by bits of dialogue from Jake and some unknown entity.
"Jake? Is that you?" Lux asked, fiddling with the controls.
Static.
"Eden?"
More static.
The young woman then heard a growling noise nearby. "That's probably not a good thing." she remarked, drawing out her blaster pistol. The weapon made a very satisfying powering-up sound as the power cells were functioning.

Meanwhile on the Pelican, the Rebel intruders were on the retreat.
"Command, we need an immediate evac!" a soldier shouted on his comlink. "The Silence it's..."
His words were cut off by a stream of blaster fire, followed by the shouts of angry, frenzied pirates as they overwhelmed the scared boarding party.
On the Bridge, Eden was trying to tear off a large panel near her console. "This... uuughh isn't bolted down" she grunted "So why does it resist removal?"
Suddenly the panel came loose and Eden fell back onto the ground. Upon recovery, she found out why it was hard to remove...

"There's some sort of slimy residue inside... but where did that come from?"
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Mon May 28, 2018 12:10 am

Jake thought about ways to dock the ships when they were so utterly helpless. Then, he got it.

"I'll be right back. Go get an electro-magnet" He said into the radio.
"Oh... I got you..." The Rebel said. Even though Jake couldn't see him, he could tell the Rebel was grinning with delight at Jake's idea.

Jake darted away to the nearby engine room, only a 10 second sprint away. He grabbed a ton of heavy-duty structural bolts, a bolt presser, and a gigantic electomagnet. Jake ran back to the spot where his newfound friend was, his voice on the radio still there but growing fainter.

"We learned this in combat training," Jake said.
"Oh boy, that's just lovely." The Rebel said with a chuckle. "I have my magnet, by the way!"

Magnets such as the one Jake carried were used for combat situations and rapid repairs on dying ships during battles. The hunk of metal was incredibly heavy, and Jake barley managed to heave it up over his head and slam it against the wall. Arms quivering, Jake activated the magnet and let go. It was stuck to the wall.

"All right, activate yours." Jake said.
"No problemo," The Rebel groaned as he too lifted an incredibly heavy magnet, sticking it to the wall. A few seconds later, they were delighted to hear the clang of their ships hulls being magnetized together.

"Aye! I hear someone knocking at the door!" the Rebel shouted into the radio with delight.
"Better sound an intruder alert!" Jake laughed back.

Jake loaded the bolts into the bolt presser, turned it on, placed its tip against the wall, and hit the foot stomp on the device. A bolt shot from the tip of the device into the hull of the Mature, and then into the hull of the Rebel vessel. Jake continued this process. It was slow going, but eventually they had bolted the two ships together in a roughly square pattern. Jake grabbed the laser cuter, turned it on, and began cutting through the sandwich of ship-hulls that they had created. This was even slower going.

When Jake and the Rebel pulled at the metal which had been cut away, there was a slight hissing noise as the seal was not perfect. The Rebel soldier who he had befriended was no older than he was, with greasy blond hair and green eyes. He looked relieved to see Jake.

"Never thought I'd be so happy to see a Fed!"
"Likewise!" They hugged each other, and felt the fear dissipate with each other's company.
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Tue May 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Kyrie had been pretty useless in the battle since shields were useless, but then the battle stopped suddenly with a strange wave. The ship’s systems turned off and everything went dark. She shuffled slowly to the door, which she had to pry open, and tried the comms: “Jake? What happened?” Nothing. She put a hand on the wall and followed it toward the medbay. It was pitch black. The only sounds were the creaking of the ship and Kyrie’s own breathing.

Suddenly, she felt the hair stand up on her neck. She stopped walking. She held her breath. There wasn’t a sound, but she still felt like something was there. Eventually she continued and came to an intersection in the hallways. There was usually an extra rifle and radio at the intersections, so she felt around till she found a panel and pulled it off. Kyrie took out the rifle and turned on the light. There was nothing around her, so she turned on the radio. “Can anyone hear me?” Bzzzzzz “Hello?” Bzzzzzz The buzz of the radio wasn’t the only sound, though. Kyrie strained to hear. It almost sounded like... someone running.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 29, 2018 10:00 pm

Lux swept the area with her torch, looking for the source of the growling.
Footsteps. Running footsteps.
Then something slimy dripped onto her shoulder. That was all she needed to start running as fast as she could out of the room.
She headed down the corridors of the dark ship, her torch waving erratically until she bumped into something at an intersection. "Kyrie!" she shouted in surprise and relief that it wasn't some big slimy monster.
Before she let Kyrie react or even speak, the young woman started to ramble "You're alive! Something's happened to the power, I can't raise Jake on the comms. There's something slimy in the Medbay that's probably got us on its menu. We should stick together because splitting up in a horror situation is really bad. You've ever seen those movies? Let's avoid being the opening kill girls of that movie..."
Whiskey

Postby Whiskey » Tue May 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Name: Dahl

Species: Lanius

Age: Unknown (Lanius hibernate for years on end after all)

Profession: Lanius scavenger, engineer, cyronetics

Physical: Normal Lanius body structure (about 5’-6”) and is a Lead colored Lanius, but has cyan eyes instead of regular orange. (Lanius eyes have a low glow to them)

Personality: Nervous, scared of other species, hesitates sometimes.

Quirks: Does not know how to speak any other languages except very little English.

Backstory: Was scavenging an old Rebel Battleship with other Lanius until Rebel patrol squadron attacked them and were taken prisoner for research as they behaved differently than other Lanius.

(Cargo hold of the Rebel ship) Dahl was... kinda sleeping somewhat with his eyes not glowing, he was in a white metallic room with a Laser barrier blocking up the cell exit but the alloy was specialized to prevent Lanius from melting it down. But he woke to the sound of running outside his cell and slowly walked over to the barrier as a creature ran past the barrier like a blur. Dahl fell on his back and scurred to the wall terrified yelling out an unintelligible message in the process.
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:20 am

Grom was attending to Bren when the blinding light of Lux's torch shined over her eyes, followed by the static of a radio. She couldn't care less about what she was trying to do, she just wanted to make sure Bren and Ruwen were fine. Then, the growling. “What was that?” The rockwoman muttered. Lux powered her blaster, Grom readied her fist. Growling, footsteps, fast footsteps. In a few seconds this was all drowned out by Lux running out of the room.
‘That can't be good.’ Grom thought. She went into a fighting position. ‘I fight for honour!’