Assimilating a Fleet

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
saiavinn

Assimilating a Fleet

Postby saiavinn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:33 am

This was such an awesome reentry into FTL! I haven't picked the game up in nearly a year, and I'm using a new computer, so all of my ships and achievements are gone. I'm starting completely anew.
I started at about 9pm, with an unremarkable run that was cut short when I misjudged how much time I had and let the fleet catch up to me in zone 4. I couldn't save it.
However! My second run was absolutely beautiful. I boarded my one option, the Kestral Cruiser, and set off. In my desire for scrap, I foolishly lose one of my three humans to the disease on a planet being quarantined that I offered to help quell the riots on. Knowing I need new ships, and to get the United Federation achievement for the Kestral, I quickly buy up a Rock, Engi, and Mantis to get my systems manned.

Zone 3: Zoltan Homeworlds, and I quickly run across a familiar event, the peace preachers. I was thrilled, and soon had a Zoltan Shield perk and a new ship to play with.

Zone 5: Engi Homeworlds marks my freebie- the Engi Cruiser for making it for the first time, and I've kept my Engi Engineman well and alive. Sure enough he helps me talk to the secretive machine people, and I go to hunt down the two Rebel ships with the intel. I'm running on my Burst Laser II and trusty Artemis, and an Ion Charger I picked up. I have only a handful of missiles. I've been saving scrap and am praying for a good Shop. They have no weapons for me. However, I have enough for Drone Control and a Combat Drone Mark I in reserve to go with the one that comes with the system.
Right before I hit the quest space, I poor all the scrap I have left into Drone Control and my Reactor, giving me just enough energy to keep one Shield up, run the Engines, and keep Oxygen up, the remaining 9 bars go into my weapons and drones. I'm relying on my Zoltan Shield to weather the damage.
I know they're going to try to run. I have to hit them hard and fast. Both, as it turns out, were using Anti-Combat Drones, and one a Defense Mark II. I almost lost hope. However, waiting until all my shots are ready, I just unload all at once into their Drone Control, and then target the Shields until my Drones can just pepper them in laser blasts. To my surprise, it works, and my ship is still half-intact as I make the next big jump.

Zone 6: Rebel Territory. I'm low on fuel, and see the quest marker, teasing me. I believe wholeheartedly that unlocking the Stealth Cruiser is well worth blowing up a little later, so I make a beeline for it. On the way there I end up waltzing right in on the Incomplete Flagship. The poor thing only has two shields. My drones shred the impotent hulk. Never stood a chance. Federation Cruiser: Check!
Now I can finish what I came for. The Rebel's Mantis ship is waiting decked out and ready for boarding, but two humans are no match for my Rock and Mantis. A quick curb-stomp later, I have three tics left on my hull and as much fuel, but the Stealth Cruiser is mine, and consequently the Lanius have noticed my impressive fleet, and I get the Lanius Cruiser on top of the deal.
By Midnight, I've gone from my single Kestral Cruiser, to a fleet of six: The Kestral, the Engi Cruiser Torus, the Zoltan Cruiser Adjudicator, the Federation Cruiser Osprey, the Stealth Cruiser Nasasio, and the Lanius's Kruos.
Best start to a new file, ever!