Last time I name my characters.

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
GhoXen

Last time I name my characters.

Postby GhoXen » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:38 am

Having killed the final boss plenty of times with various good ships, I figured that I should start unlocking Type B for the... less privileged ships. My choice was the Stealth Ship, played on Normal. No shield, three humans, and the beam weapon was laughable. I was well on my way to sorrow. In my arrogance I also named the ship Serenity, and its three crew Mal, Wash and River.

Mal was the first to go. He died to asphyxiation moments after he had fixed the life support. The oxygen didn't come back quickly enough. Wash was the second to go, killed in the cockpit when a 4 damage rocket landed on his half-health face. River was the last to go, killed on the enemy ship while the teleporter was on cooldown, and the breach doors blocked her escape. By the time I reach the final boss Serenity was filled with only a bunch of Zoltans and Engis.

Moral of the story: don't name your characters.
misterfanwank

Re: Last time I name my characters.

Postby misterfanwank » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Y'know...

There was that episode where Mal almost asphyxiated while fixing the Serenity.

In the movie Wash got impaled while piloting the Serenity.

And also in the movie River had to fend off a hoard of Reapers on a foreign installation.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:13 pm

What's so laughable about the fastest charging beam in the game? Esp. when you're kinda in a hurry before the cloak runs out. It can do 4 damage if you squeeze it tight. Nice weapon.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Novodantis

Postby Novodantis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 pm

I had a Wash moment also with my pilot-savvy "Capt Lex", who met his demise when he took a missile to the face while flying, even though the danger had just passed. Up until that point (end of sector 7 I think), it had all been going really well, too! By mid sector 8 we were all dead. When my named characters start dying, it always seems to signify impending doom...
slugfest

Postby slugfest » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 am

I tend to go for Mal, Wash, and Kaylee, myself. Someone's got to tend to that engine. I think I've only had one playthrough where all three survived. The Captain tends to get eaten by spiders.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm

You know, I think it mught be possible to blow up the final flagship just after he fires a last missile, and have said projectile kill your ship while the rebels' is still exploding, based on the fact that that can happen with regular enemies.

My usual three-human crew is Golan Trevize, Bliss and Janov Pelorat, on the Far Star.
dan 360

Postby dan 360 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Yes i can confirm that he can kill you after you've killed him many tears were shed when it happened :cry: