results of an experiment -- my scoreboard

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
rhaining

results of an experiment -- my scoreboard

Postby rhaining » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:08 am

When AE came out, I was curious how long it would take (in terms of time + runs) to:
* Start from scratch
* Play exclusively on iPad
* Play exclusively on Hard mode with Advanced content enabled
* Win with every ship
* Complete all achievements

Here are the screenshots of my leaderboards, for reference:
http://postimg.org/gallery/1xeiyfshw/a9418ac1/

This turned out to be way, way, way harder than I anticipated. The victories themselves were challenging but in line with expectations. I didn't keep perfect track, but it took me ~90 runs to win with all 28 ships, so, a victory ratio of ~1/3. The real problem was that 2 achievements were buggy, and 1 in particular was severely imbalanced by the move to Advanced content.

The Lanius "Loss of Cabin Pressure" achievement (win with O2 < 20% for the entire run) was buggy when AE first shipped, such that if you ever saved out to the menu, it would count the achievement as a loss. I missed the achievement about 5 times due to this bug, each time chalking it up to some mistake I must have made, before I checked the forums and found out the achievement was buggy! So I waited on that achievement for an iPad patch and went on to work on the last missing achievement.

The last missing achievement for me was the Crystal "Clash of the Titans" achievement (destroy 15 Rock ships, pirates count). Pre-AE, it took me about 10 games to get this achievement, and I did a fair amount of research on FTL events to find Rock ships outside of Rock/Pirate sectors, so I knew what I was doing this time around. And yet I consistently failed at this achievement. A LOT. It turns out this achievement, also, was buggy. An older bug to not count Pirate Rock ships reappeared in the earliest versions of AE, and I had yet again failed to check the forums and find this out. But really, this wasn't my main problem (and it, too, has since been patched on iPad). The problem is/was that Rock ships are far harder to come by with Advanced content enabled. In any case, it literally took me ~100 runs for this achievement alone. This completely blew out my records. Without this achievement, I would have completed my goal in an OK ~90 runs. With this achievements, it took me 191 runs. It's easier to win with Rock ships, so my win ratio started to creep up. But I also started sacking games when they were obviously not going to yield the achievement. (I only sacked ~5, as I really wanted to protect my win ratio, but some times I was just too fed up to finish a long, worthless run.) There's slightly more to this story, but I'll save it for another post specifically about this achievement.

In any case, I've posted all my stats above for folks to compare with if interested. Some notable ones:

* Highest score: 7929 (because I don't allow myself to farm the rebel fleet)
* Most ships defeated: 72
* Most beacons explored: 120
* Most scrap collected: 2726
* Most crew hired: 20
* Most repairs: 60
* Most combat kills: 78
* Most piloted evasions: 478
* Most jumps survived: 125
* Most skill masteries earned: 14
* Total ships defeated: 5225
* Total beacons explored: 11943
* Total scrap collected: 202194