FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Dead Due to Lack of Player Interest* (Check Last Page)

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby stylesrj » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:28 pm

jeffg10 wrote:as for the plasma rifle it would need to be changed to a tesla-rifle or a hard-light rifle to fit in with the canon


Yeah because a gun that shoots lightning at foes without an electrical conductor between the gun and the person or a gun that shoots solid projectiles of light is much better than a gun that shoots superheated projectiles.

Why can't a Zoltan have a practical weapon that probably every space pirate/law enforcer has rather than something gimmicky? I mean you're allowing a pocket knife.
Is it because you think it's made of hard light or it's actually a lightsaber knife?

[/twocents]
engi
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm
Location: in the federation flagships captain's chair
Contact:

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby engi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:01 pm

stylesrj wrote:
jeffg10 wrote:as for the plasma rifle it would need to be changed to a tesla-rifle or a hard-light rifle to fit in with the canon


Yeah because a gun that shoots lightning at foes without an electrical conductor between the gun and the person or a gun that shoots solid projectiles of light is much better than a gun that shoots superheated projectiles.

Why can't a Zoltan have a practical weapon that probably every space pirate/law enforcer has rather than something gimmicky? I mean you're allowing a pocket knife.
Is it because you think it's made of hard light or it's actually a lightsaber knife?

[/twocents]

no its just a titanium balisong knife AND The rifle fires hard light
Image
Image
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby stylesrj » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:15 pm

no its just a titanium balisong knife AND The rifle fires hard light


Only because you couldn't have a plasma gun. That's what I'm complaining about despite not taking part in this. A plasma gun isn't fine but a hard light gun is? WTF?
jeffg10
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 am
Location: Omicron Orbital, Around Solaris III

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby jeffg10 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:15 am

stylesrj wrote:
no its just a titanium balisong knife AND The rifle fires hard light


Only because you couldn't have a plasma gun. That's what I'm complaining about despite not taking part in this. A plasma gun isn't fine but a hard light gun is? WTF?

plasma is hot enough that it would melt the casing of the gun (unless you use iridium for the body) but with hard light all you need is a glass bullet with a lazer projecter in it. however the glass does need to be eched in a specal way so 98 ish precent of the light is trapped in the bullet rapidly heating it, also it looks dazeling. (just a note this would probably not work in real life, but nither would a palsma gun) so yes plasma guns don't get made very often in this FTL universe because it would literly cost a fortune to have one made as almost the entire gun would need to be made of solid iridum, also it would probably be too heavy to lift if that was the case. :)
-Edit-
just saw your other post, i would probably allow a weapon that can draw the ambient energy of a zoltan and channel it like a focus but until late game a plasma gun is a bit of a strech, but like i said i'm not saying they don't exsist i'm just saying it would not be hand-held and it cirtanly would not be cheap.
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby stylesrj » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:04 am

plasma is hot enough that it would melt the casing of the gun (unless you use iridium for the body) but with hard light all you need is a glass bullet with a lazer projecter in it. however the glass does need to be eched in a specal way so 98 ish precent of the light is trapped in the bullet rapidly heating it, also it looks dazeling. (just a note this would probably not work in real life, but nither would a palsma gun) so yes plasma guns don't get made very often in this FTL universe because it would literly cost a fortune to have one made as almost the entire gun would need to be made of solid iridum, also it would probably be too heavy to lift if that was the case.


A glass bullet that somehow contains light? Can't we forget the bullet entirely, and use a sci-fi laser that'll burn you instantly? Or forget the projector bit, make the casing lead/copper and fill it with powder and use much less energy and make it cheaper?

Science handwaves plasma gun heat issues with "magnetic containment fields" to prevent it from destroying the barrel when fired.

In fact, that's what Star Wars uses for their blaster pistols. It looks like a laser but it's actually a bolt of superheated gas being fired out of the gun and used to scorch targets.

I like to think the pistols/blasters used in FTL are just like that as well (you give them a blaster and prepare for a fight) and that the Burst Lasers are actually shooting high-velocity plasma bolts. Hence why you can see, intercept them and also cause fires. Beams are true lasers as they instantly strike.

Plasma sounds deadly when you give out things like high temperatures but at least it's not "Hard light"

A true late-game weapon would be a railgun. Shoots fast, projectiles travel faster than any bullet, really expensive.
engi
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm
Location: in the federation flagships captain's chair
Contact:

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby engi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:50 pm

stylesrj wrote:
plasma is hot enough that it would melt the casing of the gun (unless you use iridium for the body) but with hard light all you need is a glass bullet with a lazer projecter in it. however the glass does need to be eched in a specal way so 98 ish precent of the light is trapped in the bullet rapidly heating it, also it looks dazeling. (just a note this would probably not work in real life, but nither would a palsma gun) so yes plasma guns don't get made very often in this FTL universe because it would literly cost a fortune to have one made as almost the entire gun would need to be made of solid iridum, also it would probably be too heavy to lift if that was the case.


A glass bullet that somehow contains light? Can't we forget the bullet entirely, and use a sci-fi laser that'll burn you instantly? Or forget the projector bit, make the casing lead/copper and fill it with powder and use much less energy and make it cheaper?

Science handwaves plasma gun heat issues with "magnetic containment fields" to prevent it from destroying the barrel when fired.

In fact, that's what Star Wars uses for their blaster pistols. It looks like a laser but it's actually a bolt of superheated gas being fired out of the gun and used to scorch targets.

I like to think the pistols/blasters used in FTL are just like that as well (you give them a blaster and prepare for a fight) and that the Burst Lasers are actually shooting high-velocity plasma bolts. Hence why you can see, intercept them and also cause fires. Beams are true lasers as they instantly strike.

Plasma sounds deadly when you give out things like high temperatures but at least it's not "Hard light"

A true late-game weapon would be a railgun. Shoots fast, projectiles travel faster than any bullet, really expensive.

yeah ik its the futer but moden day railguns fire depelated uranium and are extreamly slow fireing and do very low damage to anything thicker that a harrier jumpjet engine externals (me being british) so raillguns are taht good
Image
Image
jeffg10
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 am
Location: Omicron Orbital, Around Solaris III

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby jeffg10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:06 am

stylesrj wrote:
plasma is hot enough that it would melt the casing of the gun (unless you use iridium for the body) but with hard light all you need is a glass bullet with a lazer projecter in it. however the glass does need to be eched in a specal way so 98 ish precent of the light is trapped in the bullet rapidly heating it, also it looks dazeling. (just a note this would probably not work in real life, but nither would a palsma gun) so yes plasma guns don't get made very often in this FTL universe because it would literly cost a fortune to have one made as almost the entire gun would need to be made of solid iridum, also it would probably be too heavy to lift if that was the case.


A glass bullet that somehow contains light? Can't we forget the bullet entirely, and use a sci-fi laser that'll burn you instantly? Or forget the projector bit, make the casing lead/copper and fill it with powder and use much less energy and make it cheaper?

Science handwaves plasma gun heat issues with "magnetic containment fields" to prevent it from destroying the barrel when fired.

In fact, that's what Star Wars uses for their blaster pistols. It looks like a laser but it's actually a bolt of superheated gas being fired out of the gun and used to scorch targets.

I like to think the pistols/blasters used in FTL are just like that as well (you give them a blaster and prepare for a fight) and that the Burst Lasers are actually shooting high-velocity plasma bolts. Hence why you can see, intercept them and also cause fires. Beams are true lasers as they instantly strike.

Plasma sounds deadly when you give out things like high temperatures but at least it's not "Hard light"

A true late-game weapon would be a railgun. Shoots fast, projectiles travel faster than any bullet, really expensive.

i understand your point but i just don't want this to be another star wars, hince like all other sci-fi things out there since star wars was made. :\ (also i would be fine with lazer guns in the RP but they would cost more then a normal gun for obvious reasons.)
User avatar
Kieve
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:21 pm
Location: Low Orbit
Contact:

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby Kieve » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:03 pm

Idea: skip the silly nitpicking and go with an electrolaser?
I mean, those exist now and they're pretty fancy sci-fi stuff.

Also, containing plasma with magnetic fields isn't sci-fi Star Wars gibberish, it's actual science, and does in fact work. Heat issues are just a matter of proper cooling systems (Mass Effect "thermal clips" might be a decent solution, if you really want to get that deep into it).
User avatar
Hanzz
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby Hanzz » Sun May 17, 2015 8:47 pm

WHY THE HECK DIDN'T I SEE MY OLD PLAYERS HAD OPENED AN RPG!?

WITHOUT MEEEE!

*Sob*

So guys!

You know what time it is!

Image

TIME TO MAKE ANOTHER ONE!

You know my skype; unnamed.ender; so talk to me there


Lets bring this back up you psychos.
jeffg10
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 am
Location: Omicron Orbital, Around Solaris III

Re: FTL Unlimited: Age of Omicron (RPG) *Now Open For Apps.!

Postby jeffg10 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:56 am

Hanzz wrote:WHY THE HECK DIDN'T I SEE MY OLD PLAYERS HAD OPENED AN RPG!?

WITHOUT MEEEE!

*Sob*

So guys!

You know what time it is!

Image

TIME TO MAKE ANOTHER ONE!

You know my skype; unnamed.ender; so talk to me there


Lets bring this back up you psychos.


to be honest i kinda left the forums after my RP was a flop so i diden't even know you where starting a new one. although i must say it's impressive that you ahden't noticed this topic sooner.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests