Crew Memorial Thread

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Terminus Paragon

Crew Memorial Thread

Postby Terminus Paragon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Every player, every veteran and beginner alike, has lost crew to the many horrors and dangers of spaceflight and combat.

Some of these crewmembers, however, stood above and beyond their peers. They were the ones who ignored fire and asphyxiation just to fire off that final volley to destroy the ridiculously powerful enemy ship; they were the ones who charged directly into a room infested with breaches, ignoring the growing pain in their lungs just to save the Federation's most important vessel; they were the ones who would turn the tide of a battle with their heroic actions, even if it cost them their lives.

This is the thread where you can lay those heroes of the Federation to rest.

And hey, they don't even have to be dead; or heroes. Just post various crew members you deem worthy of recognition and provide their name (or as close an approximation as you can remember), species, ship they served on, and why you think they are worthy of rememberance.

An example:

Name: Captain Auridax
Species: Human
Ship served on: FNC "Supernova" (Federation Cruiser)
Deed: Stayed with his ship alone, fighting fires and breaches, as the Rebel Flagship destroyed the Supernova, his pride and joy.

Begin.
Archangel Markus

Re: Crew Memorial Thread

Postby Archangel Markus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Unfortunately, my most recent Captain, the pilot Markus of the FSV Rapier, gave his life to keep the ship flying. I swear this puny human was superman.

First off, hull breach in the cockpit. So he's right on it, workin' away with that wrench. Halfway throuh, O2 goes down. Well... great. So he fixes the hull breach, and starts work on the flight controls. This as I'm distracted timing the cloak and return barrage. Flight controls online! Evade's up! Get to the medba- oh.

...you're dead. Oops.

But his death kept my evade up for the encounter with the Slug Interceptor, allowing me to carry on, to victory! Until the next sector, where a Rock crew laid the beatdown on my squishy guys.

But he tried.
Terminus Paragon

Postby Terminus Paragon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Archangel Markus wrote:Unfortunately, my most recent Captain, the pilot Markus of the FSV Rapier, gave his life to keep the ship flying. I swear this puny human was superman.

First off, hull breach in the cockpit. So he's right on it, workin' away with that wrench. Halfway throuh, O2 goes down. Well... great. So he fixes the hull breach, and starts work on the flight controls. This as I'm distracted timing the cloak and return barrage. Flight controls online! Evade's up! Get to the medba- oh.

...you're dead. Oops.

But his death kept my evade up for the encounter with the Slug Interceptor, allowing me to carry on, to victory! Until the next sector, where a Rock crew laid the beatdown on my squishy guys.

But he tried.

Captains do tend to be the bravest, eh?

My Captains always seem to go down with their ships; the only exception to this I can remember was in my second playthrough, where he was killed off along with my third human and I was left with the second person I started with, who as a weapons officer was not quite fit to pilot.

As expected, she was killed later in an unfortunate encounter with a Slug Cruiser in the middle of an asteroid field.
Archangel Markus

Postby Archangel Markus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Dem slugs. I swear, I always come out of slug encounters with half the hull I go in with, they have a magical evasion shield or something.
Terminus Paragon

Postby Terminus Paragon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:48 pm

I've actually only had a Slug crewing one of my ships once. I forgot his name now, but he was a skilled pilot.

He was, uh, killed rather brutally in a battle.

God, I wish the stats screen had a section devoted entirely to crew and their cause of death.
Archangel Markus

Postby Archangel Markus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:54 pm

Terminus Paragon wrote:I've actually only had a Slug crewing one of my ships once. I forgot his name now, but he was a skilled pilot.

God, I wish the stats screen had a section devoted entirely to crew and their cause of death.

I feel like that would get really depressing, really quick.

"D00d. Kestrel - A. Died sector 1. Asphyxiation." Uhm... oops? :oops:
engi

Postby engi » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:32 pm

name: kirk
cause of death: ces multi missile launcer pummeling

thsi brave mantis whend dow wih his ship (the crystal b) due to beind supressed be ce's multi-missile launchers i hate you engi i HATE YOU!
Random Commander

Postby Random Commander » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:00 am

As you may have noticed from my CE Battles thread, Chas's Son, "Junior" is no more. He was a good mantis, helping his mother with boarders and manning the Shields when he was not needed for combat.

He got the mad disease from a station and turned traitor, and traitors do not get rezzed in a clonebay, otherwise we would have a constant barrage of mad mantis crewmember. R.I.P. Chas Jr.

Rocky is taking over shield duty until I got Ronon, a zoltan also 2-star in shields. Due to the energy output he has, I put Ronon in engines, but he takes over for Rocky when boarders are incoming. In the meantime I'm continuing my endless Sector 8 CE run with them.
META_mahn

Postby META_mahn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:11 am

The Three Greatest Crew that ever lived, affecting the fight even after death.

Rest in Peace, Members of the ship, Team Mindcrack. (Fed cruiser)

Sethbling (Zoltan)
Cause of Death: Oxygen Deprivation (Hacking)

Pakratt (Mantis)
Cause of Death: Didn't make it out when the Flagship jumped.

Nebris(Mantis)
Cause of Death: Didn't make it out when the Flagship jumped.

Even though these three brave men died, their souls followed our fight through into stage three, subtly affecting Paulsoaresjr's(Completely unskilled human) engine skills, Guude's(Master Pilot) Piloting, and even our system cooldowns.

Memorial Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR8pFWdCwt0
Back from the dead. After a two year hiatus.
META_mahn

Postby META_mahn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:17 am

Archangel Markus wrote:
Terminus Paragon wrote:I've actually only had a Slug crewing one of my ships once. I forgot his name now, but he was a skilled pilot.

I feel like that would get really depressing, really quick.

"D00d. Kestrel - A. Died sector 1. Asphyxiation." Uhm... oops? :oops:

My list of faliures would be:

SECTOR 1
DEAD
(I always name my ship Team Mindcrack and crew after Mindcrackers)
Guude- Giant Alien Spiders
Sethbling- <20 million things>
Pause- Fire
Vechs- Exploded by missle
Zisteau- Killed by boarder
and the list goes on...
Back from the dead. After a two year hiatus.