Those Darn Solar Flares

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Captain Rhonos

Those Darn Solar Flares

Postby Captain Rhonos » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 am

Alright, everything is all and good, I got a crew of 7. A Rock, 2 Engi's, a Mantis, and 3 Humans. I'm on the second to last sector and I'm two beacons away from the Exit and the one before it is one of those stars that constantly send out solar flares. What happens is that the enemy ship destroys my engines and creates a breach outside of the medbay. I quickly send one of my engi's that has full repair skill to repair my systems after I get rid of the fires. I also send my engines and shields expert to the medbay, too. Then suddenly a solar flare goes off and sets fire to my oxygen unit and I have no way of reaching it. I had totally got stuck with trying to put out the fires and repair the breaches that I had forgotten about the enemy ship, which proceeds to shoot me while I'm repairing. I blow up.

So close to the last sector, which I was sure I could beat the boss, and I got ruined by a couple solar flares. :(
Zoltan: Would you like to participate in some tests?

Me: Uh? No thank you. I'll be leaving now.
mush

Re: Those Darn Solar Flares

Postby mush » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 pm

preventing all the room before engaging enemies.And cram everyone into major rooms like shield, weapon engine and helm.
ApSciMorgs

Postby ApSciMorgs » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:40 am

What the above poster means to say is 'vent all rooms without personnel in them the moment you see a sun, or a teleporter, and cram everyone that's not operating a system into medbay'. Sound advice!
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
WilliamAntares

Postby WilliamAntares » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:15 am

^ This helps. But not if you have 8 tiles lit on the ship all from one flare with no successful vent paths.

This has happened to me on my last three play throughs (in sections 1-3)- the only thing that prevented a total hair pulling event was the fact that the pirate/rebel ships were also blown up by the same solar flares.

I know its a hard game but solar flare death after your third or fourth jump is pretty lame. Perhaps it could be changed so that "unstable suns" would only exist in further out systems? Or the flares in the starter system only lights a few tiles at once. Its not really "hard" if something is unbeatable (referring to 8 tile fires at once), just poor design.