Attempting to get the Crystal

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Anjineko

Attempting to get the Crystal

Postby Anjineko » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 am

We have been trying all day to get our hands on the crystal ship (no mods). Last game we managed to even get as far as getting the crystal crew member, but only right before the last stand.

This game the second sector was an Engi controlled sector. The third jump was the event where you get the stasis pod. Then the fourth jump was the event where the crystal crew member is woken up.

I am going to be so pissed if there is not a rock sector to finish this.
UltraMantis

Re: Attempting to get the Crystal

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:57 am

Hunting for that ship can get very frustrating. :) The unlock is something that happens once in a million playthroughs. Maybe set a more realistic goal? Like unlocking it before you're 70? :D Just kidding.

Good luck with the hunt captain. So far, i have hatched the egg only twice and never got any further.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Anjineko

Postby Anjineko » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:26 pm

We actually did end up getting the ship!

So excited to try playing it!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 am

lies

The crystal ship is a myth! right? :?
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
IConquer

Postby IConquer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:24 am

I got the crystal ship!

But it took me a lot of effort to specifically search for it.

What I did was grab the rockman ship (for the plating that guarantees you get the pod if you find the event), and then spam sector 1 run throughs.

Every time I finish sector 1, I check the sector layout. Ideally, the first sector you jump to should be rock, engi, or (I can't remember the third one... it might be rebel or pirate. Someone will have to check that for me). Near the end you want a good string of red systems (2-3 long) in a row to maximize your chances of getting the rock homeworlds, and between the sector you get the pod you'll want plenty of green sectors to maximize your chances of finding the zoltan research team (they're found in engi and zoltan sectors - homeworlds included). Ideally you'll want engi sectors, since it is quite possible to run into the pod and then the research station in the same sector, and it IS possible to get the same event twice in a run (but not the same sector), so it's not exactly over if you hit research team before you hit the pod. The rock homeworlds section is actually much easier if you do reach it because of the recent change to add the quest beacon... I didn't have that advantage :(

Depending on how much you detest the idea of save scumming, the you may also want to copy the save game once you find a suitable map, and delete it whenever you discover that it doesn't have the correct order of sectors. I didn't do this, though, and I'd imagine I'd feel dirty doing it. It doesn't increase your chances, but it does help filter out games where it's just plain impossible due to sector spawning behavior.

And finally, even with save scumming, it's going to take a lot of dedicated effort. multiplying your chances by 100 doesn't mean much when the chances start at like 0.05%, so don't get your hopes up even if you happen to have a method :P