Blessing of the RNG

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
IgnanMagus

Blessing of the RNG

Postby IgnanMagus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:48 am

I was doing a playthrough of the Rock A, The Bulwark, and the first laser weapon that I saw for purchase was a Burst Laser Mk. III. When I didn't buy it, the RNG decided that I should have it anyways, as in the next sector, I raided a Rebel Supply Station and found a Burst Laser Mk. III.
The RNG were still blessing me, as later in the sector I found Breach Missiles. And then, in the very next sector, I got an amazing present from the RNG. I saved a space station from a fire onboard it, and the station owners gave me something glorious. A Weapon Pre-Igniter. So by the third sector, I have a Burst Laser Mk. III, Breach Missiles, and a Pre-Igniter.
Also, they absolutely threw scrap at me. By the end of Sector 5, I had nearly 900 scrap, and that's after all the ship upgrades and shop purchases.
5thHorseman

Re: Blessing of the RNG

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:38 am

I love runs like that. Like where you buy a teleporter and suddenly come across 3 slavers in a row who give you 3 mantises when you kill them. Or "We just need 3 fuel." "okay, here you go." "Thanks! Here's a Glaive Beam!" " :shock: "
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Kierany9

Postby Kierany9 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 pm

...How?

The RNG is normally kind to me, giving me decent stuff and sometimes really useful stuff(Finding 3 weapons that I couldn't use in a row that sold for about 40 scrap each) and sometimes it curses me, but not horribly(seeing a teleporter and crew for sale, but then I realized they were all humans when I had 2 humans and 4 engies and then having 2 slavers giving me a human and an engie respectively). But when it comes to stuff like ship unlocks, the RNG always curses me. I only got to the Engi Homeworlds in 1 of 3 runs and found the Stealth Ship Quest twice(once I missed the final marker because it was my 2nd run, I was low on hull and I had to zip past to the next sector or the rebels were going to eat me alive and once my ship was patheticly weak and couldn't stop the real ship from running), it took me several trips through the mantis homeworlds to find Kazaaaawhatever. And the one time I'm not looking for him, I run into him with a tele and a level 2 medbay...
Pershonkey

Postby Pershonkey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:44 am

The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away. Since I love playing the Mantis B, it's almost pure luck until you get out of sector one most of the time, and the computer doesn't always like to be all that nice to me for that many jumps. Once on my first jump I'll hit an auto scout with missiles, which just has to repeatedly ruin my cockpit and engines and play recorded laughter as my crew take hours repairing the systems. Then, after I finally jump away, I'm greeted by a computer alert warning me my shields are down to 1 bubble, (One of the saving graces of the Mantis B is having 4 shield power) and then punching my ship full of holes with a dual laser. It's still a ridiculously fun ship to play if you're lucky, and I'll always have extra scrap in the end since boarding is so OP.
zeek

Postby zeek » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Pershonkey wrote:The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away. Since I love playing the Mantis B, it's almost pure luck until you get out of sector one most of the time, and the computer doesn't always like to be all that nice to me for that many jumps. Once on my first jump I'll hit an auto scout with missiles, which just has to repeatedly ruin my cockpit and engines and play recorded laughter as my crew take hours repairing the systems. Then, after I finally jump away, I'm greeted by a computer alert warning me my shields are down to 1 bubble, (One of the saving graces of the Mantis B is having 4 shield power) and then punching my ship full of holes with a dual laser. It's still a ridiculously fun ship to play if you're lucky, and I'll always have extra scrap in the end since boarding is so OP.

But auto-scouts can be taken out by your boarding drone and you can just toggle on your defense drone to take out the missiles when they fire then depower and go back to powering your boarding drone. The only real problems for the Mantis B in sector 1 are auto-assault ships (so I suggest getting level 2 teleporters right away then you can kill them with boarding and taking the last hull point with a boarding drone) and zoltan ships. Zoltan ships are fairly rare in sector 1 though. So, I just run from them unless I have a weapon by that point of course.
Terminus

Postby Terminus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:27 pm

In my most recent playthrough, my first with Mantis B, I found 2 Mantis and an Engi from killing crews in the first sector. I was so close to beating the Flagship, but alas, a stray laser found my hull.
AbbleWarme

Postby AbbleWarme » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:45 am

I was low on hull and I had to zip past to the next sector or the rebels were going to eat me alive and once my ship was patheticly weak.