Jump after beating the final boss

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Lifeforcer

Jump after beating the final boss

Postby Lifeforcer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:49 am

So I just had the most ridiculous game. I was in the Kestrel Type B and for the boss I had 2 Burst Laser IIs, 1 Ion Burst (one in storage as well) and a Halbard beam, with a Defense Drone I and a Beam Drone, as well as level 3 shields and level 3 cloaking. Oh and a preignighter. I beat all three stages of the final boss without taking a single hit of damage (which was kind of sad because it might have been the first time I had a hull repair drone at the boss), but after hearing the winning chime and seeing the ship start coming apart, my FTL engine became fully charged. I was curious what would happen if you jumped after beating it, so I did (leaving behind two manti, who I guess would have died in the explosion anyway. Anyone ever have crew in the flagship when it explodes?) So I jumped to the other sector, and the rebel flagship was on it's way towards me. I waited for it and it arrived fully healed. I think it was the same as it was the previous time, but it used a different strategy on me. I ended up taking a couple hits during this one, it is too bad I lost those manti. Still cruised to an easy victory, and if I ever get a perfect on all three stages of the boss again I will definitely be jumping and going for 4.

This is a good game.
Lifeforcer

Re: Jump after beating the final boss

Postby Lifeforcer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:49 am

and then I got to the end with the Type B Engi ship, had a set up for easy victory... but I tried to pick up some extra points between boss battles and the flagship got in range. Stupid.

*Still got my highest score ever. I better beat that soon.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Interesting.

I know that jumping away at any time resets the boss, but I didn't know "at any time" included as it was blowing up :)

I have killed crew on the flagship, both on purpose and by accident (stupid artillery beam) and they die. They don't even get their names in the credits.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Lifeforcer

Postby Lifeforcer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Right, I was wondering if crew dies in the flagship explosion, and not actually during the battle, do they get their names in the credits. Unfortunately I could only test the post victory jump or if they would get their names in the credits, not both. Another thing that happened to me one time, that this post victory jump gives me a clue as to what would have been the alternate result, was that I beat the final boss while many of my rooms were on fire, and I actually went from 2 health to 1 health due to burning systems while watching the flagship break up. I figured if I had died before it finished it would have been game over, and I think my test last night backs that up (but in my mind, the Federation showed up in time to beam my crew members off before the fire completely destroyed my ship. Except for the captain... they were too late for him...)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:31 pm

I am almost positive that so long as they blow up before you actually lose, you win. I seem to recall a post somewhere in this forum about that where the devs commented that you shouldn't lose the game if the flagship blows up. That would imply that this could be considered a bug.

I am totally positive that so long as they blow up before you do, you win. It's happened to me :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Lifeforcer

Postby Lifeforcer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:39 pm

5thHorseman wrote:I am almost positive that so long as they blow up before you actually lose, you win. I seem to recall a post somewhere in this forum about that where the devs commented that you shouldn't lose the game if the flagship blows up. That would imply that this could be considered a bug.

I am totally positive that so long as they blow up before you do, you win. It's happened to me :)

Ah, so maybe the speed at which your ship breaks up will last longer than the time it takes for the flagship to break up, providing the flagship starts to break up first. That way even if you lose all hull after you blow them up, you are still guaranteed victory (and the Federation ship still comes and beams off your crew members, at least in my version :)

The problem I created is that jumping is nearly instantaneous. So jumping before the ship comes apart creates the bug where you have to fight the final stage again.

I hope this gets changed. Only so that I can say I'm the only person to have beaten the flagship 4 times in one game :)