Communications Log 337-B

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Dirka

Communications Log 337-B

Postby Dirka » Sat May 18, 2013 12:27 am

Code: Select all

### accessing black-box memory subroutines...
   ...complete.

### initiating decryption algorithms...
### processing...
### processing...
### processing...
   ...complete.

### converting to IFP 3.6 output format...
   ...complete.

### displaying document...

*** Flag Officer's Log ***
ship designation: Purge Supreme
ship class: Final Liberation Class Strategic Command Vessel [IFP designation: Rebel Flagship]
senior officer: Fleet Admiral Alvin C. Buckammer

time stamp: 77.394-2 OPA [Of the Purified Age. Corresponding IFP time: 428339.72]
The final victory for the Most Glorious Alliance for Galactic Purification [IFP designation: Rebel Alliance] is within reach. Our combined forces have contained hostile activity in all sectors. So far, no race or faction has been able to resist our sequestration technology - unquestionable proof of human superiority. The Federation of Blood Traitors [the IFP] has recalled their remaining forces to their fleet headquarters. Multiple battlegroups are closing in on this final location. Forward scouts and outposts of the enemy are being subverted and integrated into our command network. Conservative estimates place the last engagement at t-72 hours, with a projected Allied casualty rate of .5%.

time stamp: 77.394-7 OPA
Battle Group Commander Helvif reports the capture of thirteen enemy troop transports.

### cross-referencing message log...
   ...complete.

### message text...
   ...dammit sir, there are no combatants on these ships. they are civilians, fugitives. judging by the state of their ships they won't even make it to the next system. I don't care if they're Rock, Slug or Zoltan - I won't slaughter those innocents.

### end message.

time stamp: 77.394-8 OPA
Battle Group Commander Helvif has been relieved of duty. I have ordered his replacement to disable the engines of the hostile ships and leave the rest to the solar flares. [Note: IFP records estimate roughly 4300 civilian casualties]
Personal remark: Nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned barbecue. Pity about Helvif, I had high hopes for him.

time stamp: 77.395-5 OPA
We have received a priority-8-message [Note: Highest priority available to Rebel captains] via sub-light channel. The signal has been degraded significantly, a team of technicians has been tasked with restoring the signal.
Personal remark: I don't like this. Our captains know better than to use priority 8. And why sub-light? Who knows how old this message is...

time stamp: 77.396-2 OPA
Parts of the message have been restored. It appears to have been sent by one of our medium-range reconnaissance units [IFP designation: Rebel Rigger] It doesn't look good.

### cross-referencing message log...
   ...complete.

### message text...
   ...this is unit 337-B reporting hostile contact. I repeat, we have sighted an enemy craft. Preliminary visual identification indicates Rock-type cruiser, but with a strange black hull. Sensors and long-range communication are non-operational due to ion storm activity. Sequestration module remains functional. Commencing sequestration sequence to override the enemy mainframe and eliminate the crew.

...this is unit 337-B commencing omnidirectional priority 8 sub-light broadcast. Enemy craft resists sequestration. I repeat, the enemy craft cannot be subverted. Emergency diagnostic protocols show that the sequestration module is fully functional. The Federation must have developed a way to resist our subversion. We will attempt to engage the enemy with conventional weapons.

...this is unit 337-B continuing omnidirectional priority 8 sub-light broadcast. We are currently engaging an unknown enemy craft with pulse lasers and beam weapons, and have deployed a cutting drone. We have not been able to penetrate the enemy's shielding. Diverting further power to weapons. We have to stop them here, this technology could endanger the entire Glorious Purification!

...this is unit 337-B continuing omnidirectional priority 8 sub-light broadcast. The enemy craft continues to evade and absorb our fire, and has yet to return a single shot. The capability displayed by the enemy craft is worrying, especially since their reactor output must be just as affected as ours by the ion storm. We tried resetting and recalibrating the sequestration module, but it's no use. This ship must be special, we have to stop it at any cost.

...this is unit 337-B continuing omnidirectional priority 8 sub-light broadcast. What are these bastards playing at? They probably could have jumped outsystem hours ago. But all they've been doing is fly circles around us, and I could swear they are getting better at dodging our shots. By now we are familiar enough with the outline of that damned black hull that we can tell they are definitely armed. I don't think this one is going to end well for us. I'd like to offer a commendation to my crew for retaining combat efficiency and discipline under these circumstances.

...this is unit 337-B continuing yadda yadda yadda... This is becoming ridiculous. We keep shooting and shooting and they DONT. DO. ANYTHING. Is this the grand plan for stopping our Glorious Purification, Blood Traitor scum? Flying in fucking circles for fucking DAYS on end? Or maybe you are just SEVERELY RETARDED from rutting around with Rocks and Slugs, you FUCKTARDS.

...this is unit 337-B continuing omnidirectional priority 8 sub-light broadcast. I would like to apologize for my outburst earlier. The situation has been rather stressful, but I think we have achieved some sort of Nirvana. We are prepared to spend the rest of our lives in futile... Where are our shields OHMYGODTHEFIRE!!! FIRE EVERYWHERE!!! Retreat! Retreat to the shield room WHYARETHEREROCKMEN???

...this is unit 337-B ending the omnidirectional priority 8 sub-light broadcast. My crew has died in the fire holding off the Rockmen. I'm boosting this signal with every bit I have left. Please, whoever gets this, warn the

### end message.

time stamp: 77.396-4 OPA
The senior staff is severely worried by the revelation that the Blood Traitors are capable of resisting our sequestration technology. That unknown craft could jeopardize our entire campaign, and maybe even the Glorious Purification itself, and there's no telling when it will arrive. It is imperative that we defeat the remaining enemy forces quickly. Therefore, I have ordered a large-scale offensive on the Federation Base. Hopefully it will be too late for the unknown craft to interfere.

time stamp: 77.396-8 OPA
The offensive is going according to plan. Our Battle Groups have decimated all larger enemy formations, and the Purge Supreme [IFP designation: Rebel Flagship] is closing in on the Blood Traitor Base. I will personally oversee their destruction.

time stamp: 77.397-0 OPA
Our technicians have reconstructed the origin point of the priority 8 message. They say it came from Purged Sector E4 [IFP designation: Slug Home Nebula], and was sent 19 days ago. The estimated flight time for a cruiser-class vessel from E4 is three to four weeks. That means there are still a few days left before the unknown craft can rendezvous with the enemy base. Ample time to eradicate the Blood Traitors once and for all.

time stamp: 77.397-1 OPA
We have lost contact with a number of forward scouts surrounding the enemy base. How can this be? It can't be the black ship, not yet. I am redeploying the fleet to intercept it. It might be able to resist our sequestration, but it simply cannot withstand the firepower of an entire armada.

time stamp: 77.397-5 OPA
More ships have dropped out of communication, but there is no trace of the unknown vessel. The Purge Supreme almost in range of their base.
Personal remark: We might still pull this off.

time stamp: 77.397-5 OPA
The black ship has found us. It appears unharmed and fully armed. Prepare battle stations.
Personal remark: Shit.

### relay of black-box memory subroutines complete.

### transcribing records to historical IFP database...
   ...complete.

### no further information can be accessed from the black-box memory subroutines of the Strategic Command Vessel Purge Supreme.
Dirka

Re: Communications Log 337-B

Postby Dirka » Sat May 18, 2013 12:53 am

This was inspired by my first run with the Shivan, which was also one of my first serious attempts at normal difficulty.

The start was a bit rocky (no pun intended), we almost got shot to pieces at times, but we always pulled through. I didn't think we would make it to the end, what with all the repair costs, but then we picked up some additional crew (human and zoltan) and a heavy ion. The turning point was the battle described by the unfortunate captain of rigger 337-B, where I basically decided that, screw it, we were going the distance. So I started leveling my humie and zoltan on evasion, and when they were both experts, I rained ion, fire and some good-ol' rock-stompin' on that poor rebel bastard. From there on there were a few more tough encounters, but by sector seven we were just dominating everything in sight. The flagship was no threat at all. The only thing to mar our triumph was losing my trusty human pilot to suffocation because I forgot to turn the O2 back on after a jaunt with the boarding drone...

Oh yeah, and I almost lost the game because I was busy fighting autos and rebel fighters while the flagship almost got to the base. I reached it one jump from home and I thought all was lost, but after defeating the first stage, it jumped away from the base, not towards it. Imagine my elation...

All in all a really nice, really intense round of FTL that has me even more hooked than before. It even left me feeling the teensiest bit sorry for those racist dick rebels, hence the story above.