What were your most unusual/ridiculous fights ever?

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Mindystorm

Re: What were your most unusual/ridiculous fights ever?

Postby Mindystorm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:51 am

One health mantis after fail boarding... My own ships oxygen was down so I couldn't go back... (That ended badly)
Second... On the final fight with the flagship... I had 3 health left he had 7... I was the federation cruiser a... whoever fired first would win the fight... He launched his missiles at me and I had 2 health left as only one hit... (Evasion and Defense Drone I) I then was like... FIRE EVERYTHINGGGGGG and my beams bombs and lasers wrecked him... with me holding on at 1 health because if his own lasers... My artillery cannon came up just as he died and sliced the dead ship apart again.
Galefury

Postby Galefury » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 pm

I just beat the boss ship with just fire beam and breach II. It took forever and a had to jump to a repair yard to have my ship patched because otherwise, I would have lost. Crazy game !

UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Very strange weapon loadout to win with. Nice work. :D The Vortex often makes for oddball gameplay, i love that ship.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
WildCard65

Postby WildCard65 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am

My most ridiculious fight ever was against my own ship design, basically it was the same design vs itself and the computer just raped me, basically I gave it 4 weapons more powerfull then the vanilla game adds and they are able to ion down the system it hits(and shield) and first shot it took on me took out all of my systems in a few seconds even it took out my drones, then it went into "assault mode" where lasers were just flying EVERYWHERE! Litterally, I was being pelted every second until it killed me. I was like OMG I was killed by my own design. xD
TheSolarPrincess

Postby TheSolarPrincess » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:32 pm

One time - in Sector 8 on Normal - I managed to encounter the elusive 5-shield AI ship for the first time (the only time to date), with it equipped with two bomb weapons (can't recall which, though I believe at least one was an Ion Bomb), a Heavy Laser 2, and two Anti-Ship drones (can't remember if they were Mk 1's, 2's, or one of each).

With any other ship and this may have been at the very least a very formidable challenge. However, I just so happened to be using the Torus at the time with an Ion 2, two Anti-Ship 1's, 3 shields, 5 engines with 2-star crew on pilot and engines (for a total of 45% evade), lvl 1 cloak, and a 2 Engi repair crew waiting in the drone room.

Needless to say - those shields didn't last very long, the AI ship went down pretty effortlessly, and I'm reminded why I love the Ion 2 so much. :D

UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Sweet. :D

I like moments when your ships just happens to be prepared to counter a devious RNG sneak attack. Like 5 Manits boarding you when you have 5 Mantis as well. :lol: Or 5 shields when you have nothing but Ion weapons.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
GPuzzle

Postby GPuzzle » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:53 pm

Sector II, only a human (all the others were dead due to random encounters) as a crew, Engi A. My ship is boarded by several enemies. What's the plan? I turn on the medbay at max (and thus I lower the oxygen level to 0), go to there, and fight against the swarm of enemies.
I won. All the rooms were on fire (but the medbay, and the way to the engines and the cockpit). I managed to get to sector V onky doing that.
Greatest fucking strategy ever.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:20 pm

I don't like the Stealth B as is, so I decided to modify it a bit (thanks Superluminal!). I hate 2-man Medbays, so I made it a 4-man by swapping it with the Cloak. I added an Engi and Titanium System Casing; airlocks to the wing rooms and another on the forward-center square. And I swapped the Glaive Beam for a Halberd Beam and Basic Laser. Recently, I've been playing No Shields.

But those changes make it easier! Yes, they do - I'm more likely to get blown up in a middle sector than an early one. I just like to play a little longer. I'm not sure how many times it took, but eventually I did make it to the boss second round before losing, once with the Stealth A, another with the Stealth B.

Then I decided to add one bar of Shield, so it wouldn't come up in stores. Finally got a win with the Lady Godiva. With no shields, if I can get a Defense Drone Mk II, I'll use it. Ran out of drone parts for hull repair, but had just enough.

Then after a few more tries, I decided to take the Shields out; later, I swapped it with the Cloak, so the small wing room is empty, rather than a big central one. I also added a fourth weapon slot and a third drone slot (to be used just for a Hull Repair Drone). I've won a few more times, with a couple more losses in the second round (and a lot more getting blown up in the middle sectors).

Lady Godiva VI

Lady Godiva VII - only a Defense Mk I, and no Hull Repair Drone.

Lady Godiva XI

Somewhere along the way I finally noticed that you can add Hull with Superluminal, so I put the Glaive back in and gave it the max of 99 HP. I won, of course, but I don't count it. I wonder what it'd be like, though, with some increased health - 39 or 42, maybe.
05eolsale

Postby 05eolsale » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:16 pm

[quote="Pyronic"]My most ridiculous fights have got to be against Rebel Riggers.

Once I was fighting a Rebel Rigger focused entirely on internal drones using the Rock B (Shivan). Normally that would seem bad for a Rock B, because the Systems Repair Drone would put out my fires while the Anti-Personnel Drones could fight my Rocks and were also immune to fire.

But they made a big mistake. Their drone control room was filled with 2 Anti-Personnels, pushing their Systems Repair out into the shields room. So I Fire Bombed the drone room. The APs aren't hurt by fire and don't care about it, but the drone system begins to burn down. The APs have no boarding threat to respond to so they won't move out. That means the SysRep and crew members can't enter the room to put the fire out. So the drone control burns down completely, and it is now impossible for them to fix it since none of those drones can move. Fire Bomb to the medbay now. SysRep drone is dead and can't move to put it out. A pair of Rock commandos beam in, followed by a second pair in the shields room 15 seconds later. The Rigger is ablaze, and the Rebel crew, doomed by the very drones meant to protect them, dies.

same happened to me so easy fight
Coolguybest

Postby Coolguybest » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 pm

This happened to me a while back, so some details might be fuzzy, but other parts I remember all too well.

It started off with a Carnelian game- based around teleporting, but I was playing this game just to have fun, so I was overpowered at this point, but with some progression (I could only gain one point per section per sector). Currently, I had 6 weapon power, 2 Ion Burst Mk IIs, a BL Mk II, and a Glaive beam (this remained unpowered during the fight).

So I landed at the beacon, and there was an automated scout there (the one with doors). Seems I had to power my weapons. I glanced at it's weapons layout, and was not happy at all- Two BL Mk IIs, an Ion Burst Mk II, and a missle launcher. This didn't seem like a huge deal- I just needed to put up a defence drone, and have engines and shields at max power. This should be a moderately difficult fight, I thought, considering I had to double ion his weapons and shields, then depower one to charge the BL.

Then it cloaked.

So I had to go toe-to-toe against an infuriating enemy: great weapon layout, cloaking (2 bars, IIRC), and no sane way to board (less important-- it had 3 shields, I think, and good engines). Start of the fight, I fired up both Ion Bursts and tried to keep the cloak ioned, but no matter what, he would cloak and undo the damage before I could get through the shields. Meanwhile, his Ion Burst and BLs were making quick work of my shields. I had to act quickly. I had no other choice but to send my boarders in, and have two take down the cloak, and two take down the weapons. Cloak went down, I pulled those two back. Weapons were slower, and I had to pull them back before they could finish. As I'm healing my away team, he repairs one level of cloak just enough so that he cloaks when I teleport in. His cloak went down very quickly. Over the course of the fight, I'm sending my team back and forth to take down systems before they can be prepared, charge the burst laser, and slowly bombard my way to victory. Easily the hardest non-boss battle I've had.