What were your most unusual/ridiculous fights ever?

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Jacke

Re: What were your most unusual/ridiculous fights ever?

Postby Jacke » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:35 am

delta77thegreat wrote:One of my slugs died in a boarding fight when I forgot to take pilot off helm and heal bomb missed.

Whoa. :shock:

I've read about bombs that can target your own ship's rooms, but have never used them that way. Didn't even think that your pilot would try to evade them. And once you've got Piloting level 2 or 3, you actually need to depower the Engines briefly before the bomb hits (hopefully just yours) or the autopilot may still evade.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:09 am

Must have been Pre-AE.

I don't think they do that anymore - all your own bombs targeting your own ship will hit.
delta77thegreat

Postby delta77thegreat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:51 am

Jacke wrote:
delta77thegreat wrote:One of my slugs died in a boarding fight when I forgot to take pilot off helm and heal bomb missed.

Whoa. :shock:

I've read about bombs that can target your own ship's rooms, but have never used them that way. Didn't even think that your pilot would try to evade them. And once you've got Piloting level 2 or 3, you actually need to depower the Engines briefly before the bomb hits (hopefully just yours) or the autopilot may still evade.

Yeah bombs can target our own ship..

I had a bomb I took off target in enemy shields. Apparently I targeted my weapons, thus de powering my BL3 and allowing the flagship to fire off one last power surge, destroying my ship.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:30 am

I had a bomb I took off target in enemy shields. Apparently I targeted my weapons, thus de powering my BL3 and allowing the flagship to fire off one last power surge, destroying my ship.

That's worse than what I did at one point with an ion bomb. Wanted to target their shields and somehow my fingers landed on the teleporter just after I sent my first boarding team to be slaughtered. So my teleport was locked for 30 seconds... good thing I had a Clone Bay.
Arthur Dent

Postby Arthur Dent » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:49 am

After beating the game on Normal with most ships, I decided to delete the profile and start all over, in hard mode only. Obviously my first run was with the Kestrel cruiser.

My priorities for the first sectors were pretty standard - get second unit of shields asap. After all, the weapons of that ship will be good enough for a long time. However, when I saw a Burst Mk2 in a store, I could not resist and bought it, even if I did not have enough scrap to immediately upgrade the weapons system system so I could use both my Burst lasers simultaneously. However it was only one layer of weapons power, so I took a chance. And indeed, it didn't take long before I could fire TWO burst lasers Mk2 at once. By sector 3, I could use my 2 Burst lasers and had 2 layers of shields (artemis as a backup weapon in case the opponent would do 1 damage on my weapons system). The next sectors were mostly a cakewalk. Six shots, with a chance of breach or fire, after <12 seconds of charging, that's simply AWESOMENESS, at this point of the game - although my ship was still vulnerable especially to missiles, until I finally managed to equip it with drone control + Defense Mk1, and cloaking later on.

I did not buy any more weapons or augments throughout the rest of the game, but I was ridiculously lucky with random events and battle loot. At the end of sector 6, I had (among others which I sold) found yet another Burst laser Mk2 and a breach bomb mk 2. So I decided to improve my weapons system to level 6 even before upgrading shields to 3, and it was worth it. NINE shots of breaching laser after <12 seconds, combined with a cloaking device that would virtually guarantee a first shot, that awesome against ANY opposition.

Shortly before the end of sector 7, I entered what would be the last shop in the whole game. I still had a system slot up for grabs, fortunately they sold systems there, I could choose between teleport, mind control, and hacking. Even though my crew would be reaonably good for boarding (2 mantis among them), I went for mind control, thought this would fit better with my equipment. My weapons, I thought, were strong enough to beat any opponent faster than a boarding crew could work. So why enter the risk of losing my crew, especially when I didn't have clone bay?

When I encountered the final boss, my configuration was as follows:

crew: 5 human, 2 mantis (had unfortunately lost my engi in sector 6 or 7). The main systems were occupied by humans. The 5th human would normally sit at the doors, or do repairs when necessary. The mantis would normally sit at the sensors, defend my ship against intruders, or replace a crew that is in the medbay (or even help repairing when there is nothing else for them to do).

3 layers of shields (lv6)
level 5 engines
level 3 cloaking
level 1 mind control
level 8 weapons system (3x Burst Mk2, 1x Breach Bomb Mk2)
Level 3 drone system (1x Defense Mk1 - 1 extra level to reduce the risk of failure through damage)
Level 2 batteries, piloting, sensors, doors

Augments (both won in events): FTL recharge booster (should've sold this one early one, was of little use all things considered), Engi Med Bot dispersal (VERY useful especially in battles against intruders)
Not sure about oxygen and medbay. The reactor was strong enough so I could fully power engines, weapons and drones, and run oxygen and medbay on level 1. So the batteries were for cloaking and mind control.

What shall I say? No teleporter, but awesomeness all the same, in every respect. Watch NINE shots of laser penetrate even the 4 shields of the boss. The moment 2 of his crew start repairing, use mind control, and you can watch them killing each other instead of repairing (or putting out fires/repairing breaches). And just before the mind control is up, the breach bomb will do the rest, often making sure that the mind controlled crew isn't the only one to be taken out (one one occasion, the boss lost 3 crew to one bomb).

In the second fight against the flagship, I needed my crew to take out the ionizing drone, which was not a problem for 2 humans + 2 mantis, supported by the med-bot dispersal. Unfortunately the drone had crashed into the weapons system, but I managed to fire my 9 laser shots at thir drone room right before the drone could do any harm. It did manage to ionize the room just before it went offline, but my defense (cloaking + defense drone) would buy me enough time, especially since mind control would once again make sure that the enemy crew would kill each other instead of repearing the damage. In the end, I did not take any hull damage at all from this fight.

Fight #3 was again just about firing until the enemy was done - just make sure to repair all the inevitale damage asap, which was however no problem with my crew (although I had lost a human crew in the previous fight due to a stupid mistake). The enemy supershield went down super fast, and his attempts to mind control my crew were denied by my own mind control. It was harder than fight #1, but although I did not escape without damage this time, victory was never in jeopardy).

Final score 5281. Since this was my first run, I also have the full stats. Worth mentioning: Scott Kletzin the Mantis is now officially my record mêlée fighter: 6 (SIX) combat kills, although both my Mantis had been with me since sector 4 at least... (I thought it would have to be much more, but the number may have to do with opponents habit of teleporting their crew back just before it can be finished off)
SelphieSelfie

Postby SelphieSelfie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:28 pm

http://i.imgur.com/xouk8F3.png
My very first Hard Mode Victory. Engi C. 8-) 8-) 8-)

I had a mantis that would've taken care of the boarders but I tragically lost him to a powerful ship at the Exit Node of Sect 7. I got Ion bombed and my clonebay was disabled.

When it comes to fighting the Flagship, I've never really done the suggested kill all crew except the laser guy strategy but most of my victories are either Drone Spam or Straight up strong weapons + Pre-igniter. In this game, I used drone spam again.
I was fortunate enough to come across a Zoltan Shield via Envoy Quest. That took care of the Power Surge.
I wasn't confident at level 4 shields and only dual and charged lasers so I had to do a lot of micro managing.

It was a pretty close fight the first 2 forms. I hacked his shields. He managed to take my hull down to 60%.
When I faced the 3rd form I had big problems with boarding. At one point the upper half of the ship was red due to disabled O2 and busted doors. My engi at the shields room was uselessly fending off 2 boarders. I was relieved to hear the teleporter sound effect when instead of taking the 2 boarders, the bastard sent 2 more!! I had to get out of there. Fortunately there was a store next to the base. The 4 boarders died of suffocation while I sent my engis to different sections. I unintentionally killed 4 of his crew! :lol: I sold my Zoltan Shield Bypass augment, used the scrap to heal back up to 50%, got back in there and won.
PiratedChaos

Postby PiratedChaos » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:32 pm

I was using Kestrel B (Red-Tail) and I was around 90% Hull with a couple Burst laser I's, a Hull laser, and a Breach bomb II's. Then the third stage came, and my lasers took down the shield. Then the damn missile launcher took out my crew teleporter and engines. I got hit with lots of lasers, and my boarding crew was trapped on the ship because my Engi had died in the phase before and it was hard to repair my systems without risking my Slug in the breaches and I had to keep my pilot in the cockpit. The Missiles hit my shields and I got pelted by lasers. At this point I was at 4 hull. Suddenly my Burst lasers fired because I had pressed control even though everything else was on manual fire. The lasers defeated the boss, and I lost my Mantis and Rockman. The only crew left was Captain Swamps (Human) and Charlie the Engineer (Slug). I returned to the Federation Base and Swamps and Charlie were given given a huge welcome. We have a moment of silence for all my lost crew (6).
1. Markus (Zoltan) Killed by Mantis Boarders in Mantis Homeworlds
2. Valeriya (Rockman) Killed by a Light-Cruiser's breach bomb in Slug Nebula
3. Rudy (Human) Killed by Giant Alien Spiders in a Civilian Sector.
4. Ohm (Engi) Died in phase 2 of Flagship
5. Kad (Mantis) Killed in the explosion of the Flagship
6. Barry (Rockman) Killed in the explosion of the Flagship.
Last edited by PiratedChaos on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Won on Hard: All ships! :D
Won on CE Hard: Kestrel A, Engi C, Federation B, Zoltan C, Slug A, Rock B
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:45 am

So I was bitching about this Mantis B hard run at the bottom of this post. I recovered and was having a decent run. It wasn't great, because I had a hard time finding weapons. I finally bought a Flak Gun Mk I in a store, though at that point I still had L1 Weapons. I didn't have much crew, having only acquired a human, and not that early. Eventually I rescued an Engi, which I used for Engines/4th boarder. I held onto the boarding drone through sector 6, maybe 7. I didn't get L6 Shields as soon as I wanted. There was a time when my hull was in the red, and I was a bit concerned.

But I survived, eventually buying a Hull Smasher Laser Mk I and acquiring another Flak Mk I (actually another one in addition, though I didn't use it). I was able to get L6 Shields, and eventually Cloaking. I even bought a Hull Smasher Laser Mk II, selling off the MK I.

And then I miscalculated in Sector 7, and while trying to take out a Medbay, I did too much damage, killing the ship along with my entire boarding party! :shock: :evil: :oops: :cry:

That left me with two Engis. But I had never won with this ship, and I had come too far to stop now. Onward!

I had already gone to the one store in Sector 7. I did manage to find the store in Sector 8, but it had no crew for hire. I fought my way to the base and took on the boss. Of course the third round was the toughest to deal with, having two Engis and facing Mind Control and boarders. I eked out a victory, unable to dodge, as one Engi died, and the other had to flee the helm, where boarders had invaded. Also my O2 got taken out, so I had to flee to an area with some remaining air.

I got the win just before the last missile volley killed my ship (after this screenshot).

Never give up! Never surrender!
Jgoodste

Postby Jgoodste » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:25 am

Fighting on the Tektite (Rock C) with the original weapons as well as a BL2 and some other laser weapon (think it might have been Hull 2 or another BL2). I did not have cloaking system installed for this run. In sector 7 I lost my only crystal crewmember to some Zoltan asshole who made him die in reverse age. My crew consisted of two rocks, two mantis, an engi, a meat sack, and a lanius. The systems I added were drone control and a TP, so I could have gotten cloaking if I had encountered a single store that had it. In my two drone slots I had an anti combat drone and a defense drone mark 1.

The first stage of the flag ship was pretty easy especially since it just hacked my sensors and I didn't really need them in the first place. The only thing that got through my shields was a couple of Leto missiles and they didn't do much harm. Probably had about 27 hull after stage 1 and I killed the gunners except the laser guy. All my crew were still alive. Flagship stage 2 wasn't that bad, the anti combat drone went to work on the power surges and the boarding drones went nowhere fast especially with upgraded doors. I took some damage and was down to about 20 hull when I tore off the right side of the flagship hull.

For stage 3, taking down the Zoltan shield was hard but I did have the bypass which allowed me to destroy the missile launcher. Except it didn't. After I sent my mantises over one got mind controlled, killed the second one, and fired a volley before destroying it. The volley took out my clone bay and there goes the mantis. The fire in the clone bay meant a rock had to go put it out. By the time the shield was down I had taken a power surge which gave me 2 breaches, and my engines were hurting. I was causing heavy damage to the flagship as I took down the shields but enemy boarders cost me my engi bot. He died with them in a ventilated door control room.

The mind controlled rock who was fixing my cloning bay, which never happened, also took out my other rock, and the first one was heavily damaged when it returned to normal. Meanwhile, a second power surge came, took out my O2, and caused breaches in there and the cloning bay, so my rock died trying to fix the breach. I had the flagship down to about 7 hull when a power surge brought back the Zoltan shield and the pilot partially repaired the normal shields. My meat sack died trying to fix the oxygen and the second mantis died somewhere in there as well. Somehow the weapon and shield bays hadn't taken any hits. I got the Zoltan shield down and another power surge fired, this one taking out the bridge and the rest of the engines. I was down to 2 hull. The only crew I had was a mind-controlled Lanius because my ship had NO OXYGEN. I fired everything I had, bringing the flagship to 1 hull. WARNING: POWER SURGE DETECTED. My heavy crystal mark 1 fires along with the laser blast from the power surge. The first laser strikes simultaneously with the crystal. Both ships are torn apart together, with the mind-controlled lanius still firing away at the shields on a deoxygenated and breach-laden ship.

The game ended up giving me the victory, probably because the flagship got taken out in time before my ship completely disintegrated. It was the most intense fight I've ever had and my first C-class victory. I've won twice more with the Tektite since but I'll never forget this battle. It was epic.
Last edited by Jgoodste on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:25 am

Can you please make that into separate paragraphs? That's a big wall of text.