Stalemating the Flagship

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Gunman698

Stalemating the Flagship

Postby Gunman698 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Here is how I managed to stalemate the final boss, the Rebel Flagship.

I picked out the Gila Monster, the A-class mantis ship. It was pretty easy going through the sectors, teleporting 2 Mantis into 1x2 rooms and picking off the crew one by one. I got a lot of scrap and weapons, but not enough fire power to break level 3 Shields. After about Sector 5 I started getting myself level 4 Shields. When I had done, my ship was unstoppable. I got to sector 8 in a breeze. When I met the Flagship, it was a long battle.

Firstly, I teleported my 2 Mantis into the triple missile artillery. I knew that would be a pain. I then moved on to the laser, then the Ion, then I moved on to the main crew. I left the beam because that couldn't do anything to level 4 shields anyway. I picked them off by hurting them enough that they filled up the medbay, then the other injured couldn't get to the medbay, so they died. I then used my small bomb to kill the medbay and pick off the rest. That's when I ran out of missiles (Facepalm). The Flagship's AI took over, so they couldn't repair anything, leaving them unable to shoot, and us unable to take them down. I didn't want to sacrifice my two Mantis fighters, only having some Humans and Engis, maybe one Mantis left after that. I had stalemated the Rebel Flagship.
5thHorseman

Re: Stalemating the Flagship

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:33 am

I had a similar "problem." I was using the Crystal cruiser, and I sold the armaments for ions early on and never even thought to get something that actually dealt damage. I happily killed all the enemy crew except the laser guy, and then was like, "Huh. What now?"

Unlike you, I opted to kill the last guy so the AI would repair slowly, and then run my guys around the ship destroying systems until there was one hull left. Then I teleported everybody off but one brave soul, and had him give the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the Federation.

I then repeated the process again with 2 more brave souls. Poor guys.

The flagship was the only ship I didn't take intact that entire game.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
DryEagle

Re: Stalemating the Flagship

Postby DryEagle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:12 pm

I would recommend killing all but the guy in the 3-shot-laser room. This is the least threatening weapon, and means the ship won't go AI, so if you have -anything- that deals hull damage you'll be able to finish it. Of course, if you don't, then as stated above you'll need to sacrifice 1 crewmember for that last point of damage as it auto-repairs...
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage