[Guide] Easiest way to unlock crystal ship

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
MeXeTiC

[Guide] Easiest way to unlock crystal ship

Postby MeXeTiC » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:54 am

Warning : This guide does contain spoilers.

Now there is a cheat file circeling around these forums which forums allows you to unlock all ships, and yes that would be the easiest way to unlock crystalline cruiser. However the problem with it, is well it unlocks all the ships, many of you don't want that, they don't want a save file or they just want to unlock this one ship.

Allright since we got that out of the way, for this guide we are going to be using two mods (don't worry if you dont like mods you can easily remove them after you unlock the ship)

1. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2574 - Obsidian Cruiser mod. Any mod which has crystalline crewmembers will work.

2. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3483 - Mod which adds a quest marker for a beacon in rock homeworld.

I stumbled across this method purely on accident, and the only reason why i created this account was to share it with the community.

Anyways all you need to do is GET TO A ROCK HOMEWORLD WHILE PLAYING AS OBSIDIAN CRUISER to eventually get the ship.

Confused? Well it's simple, obsidian cruiser starts with a crystal guys as a crew, as long as they survive and get to the rock homeworld the script for quest kicks in. This is the part where the 2nd mod i posted comes in, it marks the warp beacon on your map so you can't miss it.After that all you need to do is follow your map to a quest beacon, enter the secret sector and follow another quest beacon where you will eventually get the ship.

Have fun with this, it's just a small tip i wanted to share with you. And sorry for any grammar mistakes it's like 3am here.
Keno

Re: [Guide] Easiest way to unlock crystal ship

Postby Keno » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:06 am

No. Just no.
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:14 am

Well...not yet, but I might eventually resort to this once I get bored trying. So thanks.
nimitz98

Postby nimitz98 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Heh, I unlocked it today on my second playthrough with the rock cruiser! I consider it FTL's Christmas present to me. :D I actually unlocked it before, using the mod that adds a quest, but I felt cheap for not getting it legitimately, so I erased my game files and started over again! :)
omegaai

Postby omegaai » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:11 am

There is a profile editor that lets you unlock specific achievements or specific ships without impacting anything else in the game. If you are already suggesting cheat mods you might as well just use the profile editor.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2877
Mataza

Postby Mataza » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:50 pm

I considered modding the game myself already, which in my mind already constitutes cheating.
Tampering with number of distress events, which distress events are available. I could download the rock homeworld marker mod and look how it gets the marker for that specific event, then copy the method to marker all 3 events in this questline.
I do a bit of programming, so it wouldn't be an impossible task.

And yet here I stand resilient, not yet having played game with a modified files.
The temptation is always there, though.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:48 pm

Keno wrote:No. Just no.

This. I made the Obsidian Cruiser because I wanted to build my own ship, and I replaced The Vortex with it because I felt the Engi B layout would be the least-likely to be missed - not so it could be used as a "cheat" ship to circumvent the game's original progression.

Naturally I can't stop anyone from doing this, but that doesn't mean I approve.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:33 pm

If you are going to use a mod to make it easier to get unlocks, you might as well just cheat to unlock it without earning it directly.
jjTheTechMage

Postby jjTheTechMage » Fri May 13, 2016 5:21 pm

so after playing since last Christmas i have never managed to get the right beacon order so thanks , also i like the obsidian ship mod so thanks for that to
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon May 30, 2016 3:15 am

The easiest way to get the ship that I know of (No mods involved) is to either:
1. Play with a ship with no intention of getting it- I got the streak of events playing around with the Zoltan A for no reason.
2. Use the Rock C and rename the crystal Ruwen. Since this is always the name of the crystal you get from the stasis pod, the game thinks that event happened and gives you the quest marker in the rock home world.
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"