Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
konokono

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby konokono » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:26 am

Forgot to bring any real weapons to the final battle? Accidentally killed all the crew except the guy in the laser room before realizing this? Don't want to fight the AI ship?

Never fear! With Mind Control and a Teleporter, you can bring the guy in the laser room to your ship. Then get him to stand in the teleport room. One way to do this would be to let him damage it, and when you mind control him again he'll try to repair it. Now teleport him back to the flagship's main cabin! Now you have a guy who will go around repairing systems in the main cabin that you can go damage again!

I just figured this out today using Slug A. Forgot to bring any hull damaging weapons and already killed all the crew except the laser guy. Thought I was gonna lose for sure until I thought of this trick. Just goes to show how overpowered Mind Control + Teleporter is for the final battle :D
zhaooqian

Postby zhaooqian » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:31 am

konokono wrote:Forgot to bring any real weapons to the final battle? Accidentally killed all the crew except the guy in the laser room before realizing this? Don't want to fight the AI ship?

Never fear! With Mind Control and a Teleporter, you can bring the guy in the laser room to your ship. Then get him to stand in the teleport room. One way to do this would be to let him damage it, and when you mind control him again he'll try to repair it. Now teleport him back to the flagship's main cabin! Now you have a guy who will go around repairing systems in the main cabin that you can go damage again!

I just figured this out today using Slug A. Forgot to bring any hull damaging weapons and already killed all the crew except the laser guy. Thought I was gonna lose for sure until I thought of this trick. Just goes to show how overpowered Mind Control + Teleporter is for the final battle :D

There is a problem.How the heck are you going to make him/her stay at the teleporter?I tried before and they just ran wildly in your ship(you can't control them just like you control your own crew)and finally end up sitting in the O2 room doing nothing.The only way I could think of is to teleport them*just*before the mind control wears off,but it requires a lot of precision(and maybe some luck)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:44 am

zhaooqian wrote:The only way I could think of is to teleport them*just*before the mind control wears off

And that won't even work because the teleporter won't be ready to go right away,and even if it was the INSTANT the guy starts moving (ie, the first instant you could teleport him back) you won't be able to teleport him.

The teleporter will teleport the person running through the room, but only so long as someone else is standing still on a pad.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
zhaooqian

Postby zhaooqian » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:10 am

5thHorseman wrote:
zhaooqian wrote:The only way I could think of is to teleport them*just*before the mind control wears off

And that won't even work because the teleporter won't be ready to go right away,and even if it was the INSTANT the guy starts moving (ie, the first instant you could teleport him back) you won't be able to teleport him.

The teleporter will teleport the person running through the room, but only so long as someone else is standing still on a pad.

You could let that guy smash your teleporter(need a high level teleporter though)while distracting him/her constantly with your own crew to wait for the teleporter(and the mind control) to cool down.then send him and one of your own crew into whatever room you want him to be in(better send an engi so that you can assume you won't accidentally kill him once the mind control wears off),then pull your crew back.Very tricky,but it could work.
zhaooqian

Postby zhaooqian » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:25 am

Speaking of little tips,I do have one.Now you know that zoltans could save a bar of energy from the systems that are cooling down,what about backup batteries?I mean you could pump the special backup power to the hacking system or teleporter or such,which saves more main reactor power.
Note that try to time the backup battery's time so you won't suddenly stop cloaking or something,which is pretty annoying :shock:
One more.If you are in lack of crews,you could send the shield guy or someone else close to the sensors to have a quick peek at the enemy's interior(if you haven't upgraded it yet)or their power usage(if you fully upgraded it)in the beginning stages of a battle(since nobody you encounter has the weapon pre-igniter).Works well for me,and it saves valuable manpower :lol:
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:22 am

Zoltan Shields work both ways.

I was fighting an enemy ship which had a Shield Overcharger.

All I had was some crappy guns, Mind Control and a Teleporter. They hacked the teleporter so I thought I could do the usual Abduct & Let Them Die strategy. Nope, they had a Clone Bay.
How was I to board their ship and destroy that thing before I get sent back?

The answer was their own Shield Overcharger. Troops can't be teleported in and out of the super shield without a bypass, so when the hack activated again, my crew remained where they were and slaughtered those Engi crew :)
Fireclaw27

Postby Fireclaw27 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:01 am

S.Bomb can be used on your own ship to stop borders, and provide a safe-ish way to kill and clone low health lanius.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:07 am

Fireclaw27 wrote:S.Bomb can be used on your own ship to stop borders, and provide a safe-ish way to kill and clone low health lanius.

If you want to waste a missile, sure go on right ahead :D
Fireclaw27

Postby Fireclaw27 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:44 pm

How can you call sadisticly murdering your own crew a waste? :twisted:
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:47 pm

Because there are easier ways to do it than waste a precious missile which could have been used to sadistically murder the enemy crew. :twisted:
Sure the Lanius don't benefit from the Airlock Treatment Spa & Resort, but chances are there's an automated ship for them to die on and regenerate at full health.