Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
JonasTheRoman

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby JonasTheRoman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Hope I can ask this here, didn´t wanted to open a new thread just for this little question. :oops:
Where do you think it is best, to put in your Zoltan? I thought in the engine room. Then you have 1 energy point for sure and can flee, even when the engine is damaged. Or will this last point also go away, when my engine gets attacked to often?
Thank you community! :)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:29 pm

JonasTheRoman wrote:Hope I can ask this here, didn´t wanted to open a new thread just for this little question. :oops:
Where do you think it is best, to put in your Zoltan? I thought in the engine room. Then you have 1 energy point for sure and can flee, even when the engine is damaged. Or will this last point also go away, when my engine gets attacked to often?
Thank you community! :)

1 Zoltan doesn't really matter, he'll provide 1 power regardless of how much a system gets hit by ions but he will NOT provide power if the system takes regular damage. So it may be nice to keep your engines or a weapon up. I personally put them in the shields, though, even though 1 Zoltan won't help a shield from getting ioned at all. Why do I do this?

Because I ALWAYS put 2 Zoltans in the shields as soon as I can. 2 Zoltans in the shields will keep them from going down due to ion damage, which can be HUGE. Let's face it, 9 times out of 10 ions hit shields and if you can keep yours from going down for those precious seconds it gives you a major advantage.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm

5thHorseman wrote:1 Zoltan doesn't really matter, he'll provide 1 power regardless of how much a system gets hit by ions but he will NOT provide power if the system takes regular damage. So it may be nice to keep your engines or a weapon up. I personally put them in the shields, though, even though 1 Zoltan won't help a shield from getting ioned at all. Why do I do this?

Because I ALWAYS put 2 Zoltans in the shields as soon as I can. 2 Zoltans in the shields will keep them from going down due to ion damage, which can be HUGE. Let's face it, 9 times out of 10 ions hit shields and if you can keep yours from going down for those precious seconds it gives you a major advantage.

Hey, thats a great tip! Thank you! :)
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:06 pm

I have one more little question.
Are there any stores at the last stand?
Until now I didn´t discovered one, but I am not sure if I should save some scrap for a store.
Terminus

Postby Terminus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:29 pm

JonasTheRoman wrote:I have one more little question.
Until now I didn´t discovered one, but I am not sure if I should save some scrap for a store.

There are a few but they're fairly rare so don't count on em.
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Terminus wrote:

There are a few but they're fairly rare so don't count on em.

Ok, thank you! :)
When I have some more scrap and only systems, which don´t really have to be upgraded anymore, I´ll save it now if I´m still hoping for a weapon or something else.

... like an drone for example, so here is a tip:
If you can buy a hull repair drone in a late sector, do so. It could even be worthy if you have to buy a drone control first, if you have some spare scrap. It is really helpful, because then you can repair your ship between every fight with the flagship and don´t have to rely on the random repair stations.
If you don´t use drones in this run, it can even be more worthy: Just sell the free drone shematic for some little refund. You also won´t need aditional power, because you can just deactivate other systems between the fights and won´t need any drone control upgrades.
And if you use drones and have no empty slot, you can just save the drone in your additional slots and switch it in a "break" to repair. :D
If you have a drone recovery arm or don´t use other drones at all, it is even more sensefull, as you wont even need the drone parts for other drones and don´t have to just waste them by ignoring them.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:03 pm

There is ALWAYS exactly ONE store in the last stand. However, it can be overrun by rebels before you even find it so you won't always come across it. You will never find 2 stores there.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:45 pm

5thHorseman wrote:

There is ALWAYS exactly ONE store in the last stand. However, it can be overrun by rebels before you even find it so you won't always come across it. You will never find 2 stores there.

Thank you, that makes it more clear. :)
RobotBastard

Postby RobotBastard » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:05 am

You can get a Blue option for having a system even if it isn't fully powered (or powered at all).

There are no Blue options for having upgraded doors.

Question: If an upgraded non-powered system (sensors or helm) is damaged, can you still get a Blue option for having the upgrade?

Question: for the "advanced weapons" Blue option, do you need to have a full complement of weapons systems, or do you only need to have enough bars in the system?
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:11 pm

RobotBastard wrote:Question: If an upgraded non-powered system (sensors or helm) is damaged, can you still get a Blue option for having the upgrade?

Yes; the presence of an upgrade of the presence of a weapon/drone/augment/crew on your current loadout (not in the cargo bay) is all that is required for a blue option.

[quote="RobotBastard"]Question: for the "advanced weapons" Blue option, do you need to have a full complement of weapons systems, or do you only need to have enough bars in the system?

This is purely based on the level of your Weapons System - your actual weaponry is irrelevant. There are a couple of these blue options, e.g.

(Improved Weapons) Fire a warning shot from your strongest weapon.
^This requires a Level 6 Weapons System (and this one is actually worse than not taking the blue option).

The other 2 weapon blue events also require level 6.
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod