Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
tswaters

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby tswaters » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 am

Oh, here's another one.

With Mantis B, you'll have quite a bit of trouble with autoscouts. If you get teleporters to lvl2, you have enough time to beam your guys in/out before they suffocate. This can be really great for farming fighting XP.

There are two types of autoscouts, one with disconnected rooms the other with connected -- I wouldn't try this with the first because it is risky -- (you can fire your drone into unoccupied room) -- but if you beam out/back again a bunch you'll eventually get the scout down to 1 health bar -- fire over a boarding drone and let them do the last bit of damage.

Also, on this note -- if there is a breach in the room, the AI can't fix it. This can be great for autoscouts that are trying to get away to warn the rebel fleet... if you have breach missiles, fire one into their pilot room and they are sitting ducks.
Mister Sammy

Postby Mister Sammy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm

tswaters wrote:Oh, here's another one.

With Mantis B, you'll have quite a bit of trouble with autoscouts. If you get teleporters to lvl2, you have enough time to beam your guys in/out before they suffocate. This can be really great for farming fighting XP.

There are two types of autoscouts, one with disconnected rooms the other with connected -- I wouldn't try this with the first because it is risky -- (you can fire your drone into unoccupied room) -- but if you beam out/back again a bunch you'll eventually get the scout down to 1 health bar -- fire over a boarding drone and let them do the last bit of damage.

Also, on this note -- if there is a breach in the room, the AI can't fix it. This can be great for autoscouts that are trying to get away to warn the rebel fleet... if you have breach missiles, fire one into their pilot room and they are sitting ducks.

You can stop the boarding drone from hitting the systemless room by putting your Mantis in it, then launching. Another handy trick is that, if it just so happens to hit the systemless room while occupied, it will bounce over to the nearest room, placing it there with the breach sitting in the systemless room.
More Dakka

Postby More Dakka » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 am

vs. Zoltan Shields:

Beams don't damage normal shields, except indirectly when they have enough power to shoot through the shields and hit the actual shield subsystem... but even a pike beam will deplete a Zoltan Shield for every distinct room traced by the beam.
Hector

Postby Hector » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 am

if you don't have advanced scanners, or boarders on, you can sometimes manage to kill the crew by firing on the medical bay repeatedly.
Fangz

Postby Fangz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:33 pm

More Dakka wrote:vs. Zoltan Shields:

but even a pike beam will deplete a Zoltan Shield for every distinct room traced by the beam.

Not true.

Beams will always hit the zoltan shield twice no matter how many rooms are traced by the beam. If you hit a zoltan shield with the pike beam (base dmg = 1) it will deal 2 damage to it. If you hit the zoltan shield with the glaive beam (base dmg = 3) it will deal 6 damage to the zoltan shield, and so on so forth. So the pike beam is as good as a mini-beam when it comes to taking down zoltan shields because both have base damage = 1.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Did you know?

Rather than go straight for a store when you see one, try to visit as many nearby beacon as you dare, before the Rebels get to the store. That way you could probably earn a bit of extra scrap, and by a bit i mean around 15-50 scrap. It would come in handy for buying or upgrading after purchase.

Don't do this if you urgently need repairs obviously.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Skarthe

Postby Skarthe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:06 pm

In the same vein as the slave ship comments earlier - some slave ship encounters can let you double up on acquired crew if you have a teleporter with a couple of levels on it. Some encounters have a blue option that uses the teleporter to attempt to free slaves; succeeding at this gets you a new crew member at the start of the battle, while still allowing the possible second one from killing the enemy crew.

(I just started a couple weeks ago, but the teleporter has rapidly become my favorite thing ever.)
fylth

Postby fylth » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:40 pm

I remember that happening to me once, first time I used a teleporter, but then managed to completely forget about it :P I generally recommend upgrading the med bay to at least level two if you have some spare cash, even if you don't invest in the energy to power it, as it opens up a some very useful blue options which generally save lives and give you a lot of scrap.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Even weapons that don't do actual damage will harm zoltan shields, such as the fire beam. Ion weapons do double damage to the shield. Also bear in mind that they will completely block boarding drones with no damage.
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Number43 wrote:Even weapons that don't do actual damage will harm zoltan shields, such as the fire beam. Ion weapons do double damage to the shield. Also bear in mind that they will completely block boarding drones with no damage.

Although I don't think the fire bomb does...