Complete Ships Guide [SPOILERS]

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Sardonic

Re: Complete Ships Guide

Postby Sardonic » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:04 am

I'm having a real hard time unlocking the Shivan, and the "is it warm in here" achievement. I can't for the life of me force the enemies to fight on fire squares on their ship. I can kill them when they pass through, but that didn't seem to count. Anyone have any advice?
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Sardonic wrote:I'm having a real hard time unlocking the Shivan, and the "is it warm in here" achievement. I can't for the life of me force the enemies to fight on fire squares on their ship. I can kill them when they pass through, but that didn't seem to count. Anyone have any advice?

use fire beams and fire bombs and torch their whole ship?
Sardonic

Postby Sardonic » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 pm

the fire damage to the systems always seems to kill the ship before it can get full coverage.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Sardonic wrote:I'm having a real hard time unlocking the Shivan, and the "is it warm in here" achievement. I can't for the life of me force the enemies to fight on fire squares on their ship. I can kill them when they pass through, but that didn't seem to count. Anyone have any advice?

It took me a while too. Just have to get lucky. They really don't like fighting in fires, but I do believe you get it when they pass through if it's a 2x2 room, though I could be totally wrong.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:43 am

Have you tried blast doors and fire bombing your own ship?
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:48 am

zasdarq wrote:Have you tried blast doors and fire bombing your own ship?

I think that'd work.

I got that achievement from the boss ship. Sent a fire bomb into one of those weapon rooms and sent my two Rockmen in after them. Very, very easy to get it then!
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:56 am

So I've been trying to get the new ship but haven't had any luck. Anyone else got it at all?

I've been using the Rock ships, since I at least know it's possible due to the achievement. The only new thing I've seen so far is an event where I got to choose between a weapon or a stasis pod. I got the stasis pod, but then nothing was made of it as i continued through the game. I saw another thread and it showed what was in it, so I assume this is the right direction, given the achievement (Ancestry + the crystal description), so maybe I need to just get extremely lucky (Crystal golem guy, save him somehow, then somehow get an event with him?).

Edit: Found a new event in the Zoltan Homeworlds. Some kind of obelisk in a Nebula. It just gave me a ton of scrap. May not even be new, but it's new to me.

Maybe it can't occur on Easy, which is what I'm playing on while trying to unlock this stuff.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:11 am

Apparently the last ship is pretty tough to get. Or at least requires a lot of luck.

>Get an event (I'm not sure what sectors it occurs in, or how it looks on long range scanners) where you find a weird ship in an asteroid field. I'm not sure what options work, I just know using the Rock Ship's Rock Plating blue option works. Take the stasis pod. I got this event to occur twice in one playthrough, so it's probably not THAT rare.
>Get to a Zoltan controlled sector (might be able to occur in any sector, but the time I found it and the other instance I've read about have been in this area) and find the event where you find a research facility that opens the stasis pod.
>Get to the Rock Homeworlds. I haven't gotten to this point yet, so I have no clue what happens from here. I just know there is a wormhole here that the crystal golem in the stasis pod can utilize to go to the new sector, which apparently unlocks the new ship.

At least you can rule out some sector maps pretty quick. You know that you need to go to a green sector (which has a chance to be Zoltan) and then get to a red sector (which has a chance to be the Rock homeworlds), which actually ends up making a lot of maps not work, or can be ruled out pretty quick. Also if you see the rock homeworlds, the run is over if you haven't already gotten a crystal golem. I've done five (maybe four?) runs so far and have only got the crystal golem once.
Spleenling

Postby Spleenling » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:36 am

You have to very lucky i manage to open the pod get to the rock homeworld and coulnt find the require event
Sardonic

Postby Sardonic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:38 am

note* the stasis pod only can be gotten from engy sectors.

It took me 21 hours, but I unlocked it.