Best Strategy To Beat Boss(Help!)

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
CenturyDuster

Best Strategy To Beat Boss(Help!)

Postby CenturyDuster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Hello, first post on the forums here. :D

Anyways, what is the best strategy(and ship to match that strategy) to beat the final boss? I have 28 hours of playtime and still, the farthest I have made it to is stage 2 of the fight, where I was murdered by a drone army.

Ships I have unlocked:
Kestrel(Type A and B)
Engi(Type A and B)
Zoltan(Type A and B)
Stealth
Slug
Rock

Using one of these ships, what is a good strategy for the boss? If there are any ships I haven't unlocked that make the fight tremendously easier, please let me know.
Last edited by CenturyDuster on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamotide

Re: Best Strategy To Beat Boss(Help!)

Postby jamotide » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 pm

4 Shields,5 engine upgrades, first take out the missile launcher, either by teleporter or with your weapons. Win.

To make it even easier add Cloak or Def Drone I.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:42 pm

There is a lot of things that help.

First of all, cloaking is very helpful, if you use it right before the power surges in stages 2 and 3. In the first stage just use it to dodge the missiles. Keep in mind you probably only want 1 power in cloaking, as an extra 5 seconds cloaking duration means an extra 5 seconds of cooldown, so you can only use it every other power surge.

Teleporters are very useful, as you can beam people in to kill the crewmembers in the weapon rooms and disable the weapons. Bear in mind any crew members you kill in one stage will stay dead in the next stage. It is possible to kill the entire crew sometimes, though you likely won't be well equipped enough to do so (it's easiest if you have a crystal crew so you can prevent them from running away to the medbay). If you think you have a shot at that, try doing so in the first stage, as unlike the other stages you'll have plenty of time as it can't damage you after you disable its weapons.

Bear in mind if you kill the entire crew the autopilot takes over, counting systems as manned and giving it auto-repair ability. For this reason it may be best to leave one crew member alive (best to do it on the laser weapon guy, as you definitely don't want to leave missiles up, and the other ones are gone in the later stages. The laser weapon alone can't hurt you if you have 3 shield bars.) If you kill the entire crew like this you should be able to easily finish it off by teleporting guys in to take out their shields, piloting, and in stage 2, drones.

Defense drones are very useful. Defense drone 1's will help limit missile impacts, and defense drone II's should significantly reduce how much overall damage you take. You may even want to use 2 of them. Bear in mind if you are using defense drone I's, deactivate it after you take out the missile launcher and put the power elsewhere, except in stage 2 as it can shoot down boarding drones.

As for weaponry, make sure you have enough weaponry to somehow damage it through 4 bars of shields. You don't want to rely entirely on a missile launcher due to the defense drone in stage 2. You may be able to take down the shields with ion weaponry, but you'll need multiple ion weapons to do so in stage 1 as it will have a chance to recover whenever it cloaks. Bombs are very helpful both for damaging the shields, or if you try to board, taking out the medbay. If you get enough burst laser weapons you may be able to simply power through the shields and do damage by firing them all in one volley (wait for them to all charge, then pause and aim them all before unpausing).

Lastly, if you find a hull repair drone, but need all the drone slots, keep it in storage and pull it out to heal to full before jumping onto the next phase, as it won't always be possible to visit a repair station before continuing. Confronting it early may make it more likely you can do so, but don't be afraid to spend extra jumps to visit an extra repair station or store before hand, or if you need just a little extra scrap for some very crucial upgrade. Do be careful though as some of the sector 8 enemies are very powerful. They may still give good rewards though provided it isn't a beacon that it says was taken over by rebels (then you get only 1 fuel like being caught by the fleet in earlier sectors). Once I even had an encounter reward me by them setting up an extra repair post.
CenturyDuster

Postby CenturyDuster » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:23 am

Thank you so much for all the tips :D I am going to try this. Which ships would be best suitable for this general strategy? I would assume either the red tail or kestrel, as they can be very customizable. Is there some kind of way i can give you forum rep or something for your useful post?
FDru

Postby FDru » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:07 am

No matter which ship you use, try to max engines and have level 3 shields. Prioritize engines over shields. That is the most important thing, IMO.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:33 am

As others have said, 3 shields is really vital, but 4 is something of a luxury, which I have often done without on winning runs. Having high engines is also important on defense.

Of the ships you have, engi A is probably the best. Having 3 drone slots instead of 2 is quite helpful, and though as I said ion blast II can't take out the shield on the first phase on its own, you may get a second ion weapon that will let you shoot through with your third weapon or an anti ship drone, or it should take out 2 bars before it cloaks and resets the ion damage, which may allow your other weapons to pierce.
More Dakka

Postby More Dakka » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:43 am

If you have a small or weak crew, be careful about the boarding drones in the second phase. KOing the drone control will stop their arrival until it's repaired, but until then they can be a serious pain to deal with. Remember that you can't recall your boarders if the flagship is cloaked... and upgrading the teleporter may also save your boarders from being trapped by an unfortunate hit by making the teleporter more resilient to damage. Ditto an upgrade in other systems that are critical even if you don't intend to also increase power to that system -- e.g. cloak's +60% def won't save you if you take an unlucky hit to a non-upgraded cloaking system right before a drone swarm or the like.

You do want high defense, so not only do you want engines and shield heavily upgraded (and a single defense drone is not a bad idea even if you're going with something non-drone like laser spam for offense) well you may want to drag out earlier non-threatening battles for your crew to gain more XP there if you're approaching the endgame and those aren't maxed. There's even at least one enemy ship design (one of the slug ships) where the engine room is completely isolated, meaning that if you KO engine and kill any crew in the same room they will never be able to repair it and jump away.

Laser spam might be more reliable than drones simply because you can choose your targets, time salvos, and won't run out of ammo (while drones can be destroyed, for instance) nor will the lasers be shot down (at least on easy, it seems the boss does not get Defense Mk II drones, or at least has very low odds of it).

Oh, and don't ever jump away during battle expecting the flagship to remain partially damaged; you'll basically have to restart the stage.
CenturyDuster

Postby CenturyDuster » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks again for all the help guys :D I also recently unlocked the slug cruiser and rock cruiser, but I think I am going to try the engi A and zoltan B, as they seem pretty overpowered to start with.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 pm

I wouldn't say the zoltan is best at beating the boss, as the main benefit, the zoltan shield, is near irrelevant in that fight. If you use it right to kill enemy crew and take the ships intact with the slug ship, you get more loot and should reach the boss better equipped.

Also due to it starting with 0 shield bars, you can often meet an early doom with the zoltan B if you face an asteroid field or an enemy ship with a drone.
CenturyDuster

Postby CenturyDuster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:56 am

Alright then, im going to try it with the slug. Thanks for all the help guys :D