Advice for noobs/ people who want advice

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Stormbringer

Advice for noobs/ people who want advice

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 29, 2016 10:51 am

I'll start us off here.

1. if you're using the engi b and the mantis fugitive event comes up, always give the mantis back. it always gives you scrap (i think)
2. avoid giant alien spiders
3. Defence 2s are useless. they always go for lasers first. if you come across a hostile ship with def. 2s, fire a laser then missile/ flak because the def. drone will always go for the lasers first.
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
stylesrj

Re: Advice for noobs/ people who want advice

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 11:08 am

Stormbringer wrote:I'll start us off here.

1. if you're using the engi b and the mantis fugitive event comes up, always give the mantis back. it always gives you scrap (i think)
3. Defence 2s are useless. they always go for lasers first. if you come across a hostile ship with def. 2s, fire a laser then missile/ flak because the def. drone will always go for the lasers first.

1. It can also lead to that Mantis ambushing your ship, the Engi ship has Mantis onboard and now your Engi is facing off against an intruder Mantis.

2. Avoid them if you don't have a Clone Bay.

3. They are situational but good advice there.

Now for my ones:

4. Mind Control should be powered down if you see a ship with a Hacking Drone. Save yourself a power bar or three if you get hacked there.

5. 2 layers of shield should be your first priority.

6. Cloaking should be your second. If you don't have it, get it ASAP. Save your money for it. 150 Scrap.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 29, 2016 11:13 am

stylesrj wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:I'll start us off here.

1. It can also lead to that Mantis ambushing your ship, the Engi ship has Mantis onboard and now your Engi is facing off against an intruder Mantis.

2. Avoid them if you don't have a Clone Bay.

3. They are situational but good advice there.

Now for my ones:

4. Mind Control should be powered down if you see a ship with a Hacking Drone. Save yourself a power bar or three if you get hacked there.

5. 2 layers of shield should be your first priority.

6. Cloaking should be your second. If you don't have it, get it ASAP. Save your money for it. 150 Scrap.

I agree.

7: if another ship has hacking, hack their hacking. when they start hacing, hack it. if the hacking is level 1, use hacking lvl 1. if the enemy has hacking 2 then have hacking 2. that way it will keep going. enemy hacks, you disable hacks.

8: get weapon preigniter as soon as you can in the early sectors. save scrap.

9: KILL MIND CONTROL AND HACKING ASAP!!!

10: fires in a enemy room? board with rocks

11: keep an engi as a repair 'floater' on hand to repair anything

12: keep a rock to fight fire anywhere.

13: board in teams of crystal and mantis. 1 crystal and one mantis in one team. board room, lock the room down. have the mantis kill everything. teleport back. rinse and repeat.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 11:20 am

Stormbringer wrote:
I agree.

7: if another ship has hacking, hack their hacking. when they start hacing, hack it. if the hacking is level 1, use hacking lvl 1. if the enemy has hacking 2 then have hacking 2. that way it will keep going. enemy hacks, you disable hacks.

13: board in teams of crystal and mantis. 1 crystal and one mantis in one team. board room, lock the room down. have the mantis kill everything. teleport back. rinse and repeat.

Careful now...

7. If they hack your Hacking, forget about Hacking for a bit or go hack something important and blow up Hacking. This one should be "If someone disables a system in an event and you have a choice between hacking or using your system, go for the latter. You don't want to lose hacking"

8. Depends on what guns and strategy you're going for. Don't get it if you're a boarding ship for example.

9. Not really. Kill the enemy first.

10. True.

11. Good advice. I forget to do that.

12. Sound, but I'd not prioritise Rocks.

13. Two Crystals if you want to kill someone and take out a few bars before the enemy comes in.

Mine:

14. Put a Slug in piloting. Can't be Mind Controlled so you always have full evasion and can jump away if needed.

15. Some augments are meant to be sold. You'll know which ones.

16. Try not to revist beacons you've been to. You'll waste a jump and fuel going where you've already been.

17. Learn your sector. Path it out from entry to exit so you don't get caught in a dead-end.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 29, 2016 11:27 am

stylesrj wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
I agree.

Careful now...

7. If they hack your Hacking, forget about Hacking for a bit or go hack something important and blow up Hacking. This one should be "If someone disables a system in an event and you have a choice between hacking or using your system, go for the latter. You don't want to lose hacking"

8. Depends on what guns and strategy you're going for. Don't get it if you're a boarding ship for example.

9. Not really. Kill the enemy first.

10. True.

11. Good advice. I forget to do that.

12. Sound, but I'd not prioritise Rocks.

13. Two Crystals if you want to kill someone and take out a few bars before the enemy comes in.

Mine:

14. Put a Slug in piloting. Can't be Mind Controlled so you always have full evasion and can jump away if needed.

15. Some augments are meant to be sold. You'll know which ones.

16. Try not to revist beacons you've been to. You'll waste a jump and fuel going where you've already been.

17. Learn your sector. Path it out from entry to exit so you don't get caught in a dead-end.

18: if you are inexperienced, keep to the civillian sectors.

19: have long ranged scanners on nebulas

20: the beacons at the end of the cloud of nebulas have ion storms. avoid at all costs.

21: in solar flares keep engines powered to 2 and end the fight asap. thatway you can jump away quicker (i found that if you are fighting the ftl drive charges slower)

22: always have your stronger weapons e.g. vulcans in the first slot. that way the enemy never fires at your weapons (I found that out and as this styles rj)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 11:31 am

18: if you are inexperienced, keep to the civillian sectors.

No actually, stick to green beacons. Except Zoltan. Fuck Zoltan

19: have long ranged scanners on nebulas

Yes! Can't stress that enough!

20: the beacons at the end of the cloud of nebulas have ion storms. avoid at all costs.

That's a Rule of Thumb. Rules of Thumb are jokes about how the RNG screws you over. Don't confuse them for actual advice.

21: in solar flares keep engines powered to 2 and end the fight asap. thatway you can jump away quicker (i found that if you are fighting the ftl drive charges slower)

Fighting always slow FTL charge. You'll see that when you get boarded but not ship combat. Hazards and Fighting reduce your charge, ship-to-ship combat reduce it further.

22: always have your stronger weapons e.g. vulcans in the first slot. that way the enemy never fires at your weapons (I found that out and as this styles rj)

Rule of Thumb again.
But put your high-power weapons in Slot 1 so that if you lose weapons health, you don't lose the charge of the big guns. The little ones don't matter too much. Also, big guns will benefit from Zoltan charge so be careful what gun you put in Slot 1 as you can't power it down.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 29, 2016 11:32 am

by civillian sectors i mean green sectors. civillian is what the sectors map (the one with the interconnected sectors) calls green beacons.

fuck you early ships that have zoltan ships.

as the old aussie curse goes:

FORK YOU EARLY HOSSTILE ZOLTAN SHIELDS!!! GO KILL YOURSELVES!!!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 11:36 am

Stormbringer wrote:by civillian sectors i mean green sectors. civillian is what the sectors map (the one with the interconnected sectors) calls green beacons.

But there are green beacons called "Civilian Sectors" so you shouldn't mix up the two.

Also, if you're playing on Easy, those Zoltan ships won't have upershields in Sector 1.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 29, 2016 11:39 am

stylesrj wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:by civillian sectors i mean green sectors. civillian is what the sectors map (the one with the interconnected sectors) calls green beacons.

But there are green beacons called "Civilian Sectors" so you shouldn't mix up the two.

Also, if you're playing on Easy, those Zoltan ships won't have upershields in Sector 1.

anyway:

23: upgrade shields asap.

24: when you have bad (in the games opinion i.e. adv. flak or dual lasers) the Beam master (mini beam weapon, beam drone) will appear often... learnt that from experience.

25: man subsystems if you need to, especially situations with boarders in open space (thinking doors) if you have ae.

26: Always do the zoltan cruiser quest even if you have done it. you can get an envoy with all skills gold and also a zoltan shield.
Last edited by Stormbringer on Sun May 29, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 11:41 am

24 sounds like Rule of Thumb.