FTL Rules Of Thumb

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 23, 2016 12:51 am

79: Was there anything mentioned about teleporter availability? Because you only get teleports in early sectors and once you've got yourself a Mantis or Lanius deathsquad and have decided maybe a teleporter is a good way to use them properly, you'll never see the system in stores. Ever.
80: When going through a nebula, the beacon on the outermost, thinnest part of the cloud will contain a plasma storm and combat.
User avatar
Stormbringer
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:53 am
Location: The Eagle
Contact:

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 29, 2016 10:43 am

MikieRpg wrote:69: Sex jokes get you 999 scrap


what???

how the hell does that happen?
Image
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
User avatar
Stormbringer
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:53 am
Location: The Eagle
Contact:

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 29, 2016 10:47 am

81: I've noticed that people dont use zoltan boarders. use them. They are op. just send them in, and they'll kill any human crew from fighting or dying (on death they will do 15 extra damage)
82: defence drone 2s always go for lasers.
83: enemy burst weapons are useless. they fire in three different spots, and do minimal damage.
84: the first bomb always misses. they target an airlock. if you have a system there then you're f*****.
Image
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 11:25 am

Stormbringer wrote:81: I've noticed that people dont use zoltan boarders. use them. They are op. just send them in, and they'll kill any human crew from fighting or dying (on death they will do 15 extra damage)
82: defence drone 2s always go for lasers.
83: enemy burst weapons are useless. they fire in three different spots, and do minimal damage.
84: the first bomb always misses. they target an airlock. if you have a system there then you're f*****.


82 is "Your Defence Drone 2's always go for lasers"
83 actually is "When your shields are down, enemy burst weapons will always hit important parts of your ship and set at least two fires."
84 would be "The first bomb always hit something important. And starts at least two fires"
User avatar
Stormbringer
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:53 am
Location: The Eagle
Contact:

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 29, 2016 11:44 am

stylesrj wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:81: I've noticed that people dont use zoltan boarders. use them. They are op. just send them in, and they'll kill any human crew from fighting or dying (on death they will do 15 extra damage)
82: defence drone 2s always go for lasers.
83: enemy burst weapons are useless. they fire in three different spots, and do minimal damage.
84: the first bomb always misses. they target an airlock. if you have a system there then you're f*****.


82 is "Your Defence Drone 2's always go for lasers"
83 actually is "When your shields are down, enemy burst weapons will always hit important parts of your ship and set at least two fires."
84 would be "The first bomb always hit something important. And starts at least two fires"




acttually i tried it on an enemy ship once and the laser-missile trick worked. also: I went into a fight with the kestrel a. the first small bomb hit an airlock. second, third fourth and fifth also hit airlocks. hows that?
Image
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
User avatar
Portaller
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:50 am
Location: The Kestrel

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby Portaller » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:55 am

85. Whenever you sell an augment or weapon, the very next beacon is when it will be most useful.
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong." - Terry Pratchett

Creator of the DeLorean.

1:241 Win/Loss ratio.
Leylite
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby Leylite » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:38 am

Just thought of a new one.

86. With regards to level 1 hacking on the shields system: When you do a 1-power hack on enemy shields, it'll only take away 1 shield bubble. When enemies do a 1-power hack on your shields system, it'll take away 2 shield bubbles.

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually true (it's inconsistent, possibly based on number of frames it takes to recharge a shield?) but it sure feels like it sometimes.
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:53 am

Well if your shield gets hit at the same time its being hacked, that layer isn't coming back. You might hold your fire and wait for the right shots to be made, but the AI doesn't give a crap and will fire at you whenever.

87. If you're flying a shieldless ship with only a single, slow-charging beam weapon, the AI will destroy one bar and then proceed to destroy everything else on your ship and set it on fire. They'll never fire at weapons again.
TheDreadedPirateTuco
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:28 am

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby TheDreadedPirateTuco » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:25 am

88. If you get a good setup, RNGesus is compelled to make all your distress beacons giant alien spiders.
89. If you're looking for a Vulcan, you find a fire beam. If you're looking for the latter, you get the former.
90. If you have O2 lvl 1, they'll hack it.
91. Phase 3 of the flagship will always reactivate the super shield and fire all its remaining weapons and the power surge at the same time. When it has. 6. Hull. (True story)
92. If you play Rock cruiser type A, you will only find more missiles and beams.
93. Pirate encounters are always Zoltan or Slugs called "the dread pirate Tuco".

I just recently had a 3 flak 1 and a bl2 run
And no cloak
Almost died
Arthur Dent
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:46 am

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby Arthur Dent » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:14 pm

TheDreadedPirateTuco wrote:I just recently had a 3 flak 1 and a bl2 run
And no cloak
Almost died


Then you were either very unlucky or did some things seriously wrong. I for one would not even bother about a cloak if I had such a weapons setup. There are better ways to spend your resources, like mind control or hacking. Or even leaving the last system slot blank and spending the scrap on maxed shields and engines instead.

Although. "almost died" means that you still won, doesn't it? Why the complaints? You don't get extra points for beating the boss at full health.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests