FTL Rules Of Thumb

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
stylesrj

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:59 pm

elijahdb wrote:24) Just when you think you're about to beat the enemy with your fancy shmancy drone, a shot blows it up.

That probably could be an extension of Rule 13.

13) All drones will block a projectile with its face rather than do the job it was deployed for.

Ok another one:

25) Enemy drones will block projectiles when you need them the most.

Basically, how many times have you fired an ion cannon only for that stupid drone to get in the way? Or you need three shots to hit the enemy shields, they have no evasion but a bloody drone blocks your laser, the engines get fixed and then they jump away.

Or you're playing with Captain's Edition weapons and you have an AP gun. Those shots will merely ping off a drone and waste your shot.

26) Enemy projectile trajectories will always have a bad sense of timing with your ship.

It only happened once out of a million games but I launched a Hacking Drone at an enemy ship only for them to take down my shields and drop an ion blast on me - the ion would have hit an empty room but it was at that exact moment in time I had launched my Hacking Drone. It barely got out of the bay before being zapped and exploded a second later.

27) Yo dawg, I heard you like Hacking. So I put a Hacking Drone on your Hacking Drone so your Hacking Drone will explode in one second after being placed while mine will remain there for hours no matter how many times you hack my Hacking with your Hacking Drone.

28) If a missile or Hacking Drone goes after the Mantis B, it'll always hit Drone Control and there's nothing you can do about it if you need those drones to stop missiles with its face or to be shot down by the enemy's guns when you can't board them.
Last edited by stylesrj on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linkstore

Postby Linkstore » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:20 am

Actually, you forgot one thing: When an enemy has attack drones, and you only have just enough lasers to pierce shields, or you are relying on an Ion II, a critical shot will always be blocked by the enemy attack drone, securing your death

Oh, and hi
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Linkstore wrote:Actually, you forgot one thing: When an enemy has attack drones, and you only have just enough lasers to pierce shields, or you are relying on an Ion II, a critical shot will always be blocked by the enemy attack drone, securing your death

Oh, and hi

Hello.

BTW I already covered that one:

I wrote:25) Enemy drones will block projectiles when you need them the most.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Oh

29) The offer to accept surrender will always pop up when you're about to press 1 to fire the shot that'll finish off the enemy ship.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:05 pm

30) 1HP left on the enemy ship? Prepare to fight for your life as it gets its shields back online, the missile launcher remains powered and every one of your shots will miss long enough for it to give off a parting shot into Shields and breach it. This counts double for a Rock ship. Your Glaive Beam will be rendered useless.
Fireclaw27

Postby Fireclaw27 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:59 am

31) Always play as the Engi B, because it is obviously the best ship in the game.
AND
32) The shrike is a really bad ship, lanius boarding never works, and it doesn't even have SENSORS!
Linkstore

Postby Linkstore » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 am

Fireclaw27 wrote:31) Always play as the Engi B, because it is obviously the best ship in the game.
AND
32) The shrike is a really bad ship, lanius boarding never works, and it doesn't even have SENSORS!

Don't anger the Stylerj....

33) if you can find good weapons, you cannot afford them. When you can, there is an endless stream of systems, useless augments and drones. Oh, and when you find a pre-igniter, you will be a ston's throw from getting it. Too bad the Fleet is one jump away.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:45 am

Linkstore wrote:

Wait you mean he was being sarcastic? Like I didn't know that!
*sarcasm detector explodes*

33) if you can find good weapons, you cannot afford them. When you can, there is an endless stream of systems, useless augments and drones. Oh, and when you find a pre-igniter, you will be a ston's throw from getting it. Too bad the Fleet is one jump away.

The weapons part is true but I think Leylite already covered the pre-igniter part.

Leylite wrote:15) The Weapons Pre-Igniter will only be for sale at the start of the game when you don't need or can't afford it, and will be mysteriously missing later on when it would be a more practical option

34) Any mod that adds more guns to the game is a bad idea. Because even if you can create a gun that works similarly to the Flak I or the BL.II, no one will buy them and curse how they're lessening the chances of finding the guns you need.
Leylite

Postby Leylite » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:57 pm

35) If you elect to not use your cloak to dodge a Burst Laser III, thinking "there's no way five shots will hit me against 45% evasion", all five will hit you, and the fifth will damage your cloaking room.

36) Once you upgrade your piloting to level 3, Small Bombs will stop hitting your piloting room and start hitting your weapons room instead.
Linkstore

Postby Linkstore » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:22 am

stylesrj wrote:
Linkstore wrote:

Wait you mean he was being sarcastic? Like I didn't know that!
*sarcasm detector explodes*

The weapons part is true but I think Leylite already covered the pre-igniter part.

Leylite wrote:15) The Weapons Pre-Igniter will only be for sale at the start of the game when you don't need or can't afford it, and will be mysteriously missing later on when it would be a more practical option

34) Any mod that adds more guns to the game is a bad idea. Because even if you can create a gun that works similarly to the Flak I or the BL.II, no one will buy them and curse how they're lessening the chances of finding the guns you need.

Regarding the sarcasm detector: wut.

The pre-igniter part is a bit different. His seems to mean 'you will find a pre-igniter in Sector 1 or 2, when you have only either none or 50 scrap. Mine means that at any time, you might find yourself a pre-igniter in a store, with 119 scrap and nothing to sell, with the Rebels one jump away. Also, this posting interface is clunky and takes up too much space. Dammit, styles, join Spacebattles or Sufficient Velocity for the low low price of 100% of your sanity so we can chat more easily!