[Spoiler] FTL Profile Editor v11 - Unlock ships, keep stats

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
ComaToes

[Spoiler] FTL Profile Editor v11 - Unlock ships, keep stats

Postby ComaToes » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:52 pm

I love FTL, but I'm rubbish at it. I want to try all the ships, but don't have the time or skill to go through unlocking them all. Others have discovered that using a downloaded profile (prof.sav) you can unlock ships, but at the expense of wiping out all your stats. I'm quite fond of Brian's 157 evasions as my pilot and Colin's 7 combat kills whilst keeping my engines running at peak efficiency, so I thought I'd put something together to modify my profile rather than replace it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd want this, so I thought I'd share it.

Before using anything like this, it's always best to make a copy of your prov.sav, just in case.
If you have any issues, please attach your original prof.sav to this thread so I can figure out what went wrong.

Latest Version (v11): Download Here

All previous versions listed here if you have trouble with the latest.

The code is on GitHub so you can review it (or contribute :)) here

FTLProfileEditor-v10.png

Instructions

• Exit FTL - Do not use the profile editor while FTL is running or your changes won't take effect.
  • Run the downloaded .jar file. If it doesn't run install Java and try again.
  • On the first run, you may be prompted to locate your FTL data file. This is called "data.dat" and is located in the "resources" directory under your FTL install. If you're running FTL on Windows using Steam or GOG, this file should be located automatically.
  • Click "Open" and navigate to your prof.sav file. The dialog should start in the right directory. If not you can locate it yourself (See this post to help locate your prof.sav)
  • Tick the unlocks you desire or use the "Unlock All..." buttons if you just want everything.
  • Click "Save" - Save over your existing prof.sav so that FTL will see the changes.
  • Fire up FTL and try out your new ships :)
Last edited by ComaToes on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 13 times in total.
darkwolf

Re: [Spoiler] FTL Profile Editor - Unlock ships, keep your s

Postby darkwolf » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:22 pm

I just tested it, making sure to make a backup save before hand.
Short version: Small bug *And work around*, but worked great for unlocking ship I wanted.

**EDIT** The Editor has sense been updated, so the below bug should be resolved now and the workaround is no longer needed.

Previously I had all ships EXCEPT crystal unlocked. This included B side achievements.
Using your editor, I open the saved. It had all of the ships and achivments checked that should be.
I clicked the Crystal ship unlcok. then i saved.

When starting a new game i immediately got the achievement for 'a fleet of my own' and 'Just getting started'':
* All ships were unlocked
* None of the ship achivments were preserved, so I no longer have B-side ship layouts
* Non ship achievements WERE preserved
* Stats WERE preserved.

I could probably play around with it some more, toggle an achievement box off and on with the old save to make sure it correctly writes all of those achievements back in, but still it worked well enough for my purposes. Nice program.

Edit: For your debugging pleasure. I reloaded my old save. then i ran the editor again, this time checking Crystal ship unlock, and the rock ship achievement for visiting the crystal sector.

When I loaded up my game, all ships were unlocked but the Rock ship achievement was the ONLY ship achievement I had. Again, stats and normal achievements were preserved though.

*WORK AROUND For version 1.0*
Until he makes an update for the ship achievement bug, there is a way to preserve them if you care about that.

Short version: Using unlock all ship achievements to get the 'inverse' of your achievements. Do this twice to get back to where you started.

To preserve Ship achievements
1. Make a backup of your save, then open your default save game
2. Check to Unlock the ships you want, then click the button to 'Unlock all ship achievements'. This will check all of the achievements you don't have.
3. Save the new profile.
4. Click open again, and open the new profile
5. You should have all the ships unlocked that you selected before. Also, you should only have the ship achievements you DIDN'T have before saving.
6. Click the 'Unlcok all ship achivments' button again. this will check all of the achievements you used to have.
7. Save your profile
8. When you reopen your profile now, you should still have all ships unlocked. And you should now have all your original achievements.

To Add All ship achivemnts: (untested but same logic)
1. Make backup save, ect
2. Check unlock on the ships you want. Dont check any ship achivments.
3. Save new profile. Then re-open it again
4. You should have no ship achievements. click the 'unlock all ship achievement button'
5. Save the profile again. This should give you all ship achievements.
Last edited by darkwolf on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComaToes

Postby ComaToes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
ComaToes

Postby ComaToes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 am

I have released a new version (and updated the link in the original post). The issue described by darkwolf should be resolved now.

It seems that FTL cares what order the achievements are listed in, and also goes a bit mental if you save a profile with type B of a ship unlocked without having type A unlocked - it wipes out ALL your ship achievements. Have fixed both of these and tested a bit more thoroughly now (I was so happy to get all the Type A's I didn't test the ship achievements much :oops:).
ApSciMorgs

Postby ApSciMorgs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 am

You, sir, are a life-saver. Without this, I most likely never would have been able to unlock anything other than the goddamn Engi ship. You are a good person and you should feel good.

EDIT: It... it ate all my achievements. And my stats. The adventures of the SSV McKay and FSV Normandy will only barely be remembered, instead of infinitely commemorated in my stats screen. -sniffles- Still, I like the tool.
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
ComaToes

Postby ComaToes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:23 am

ApSciMorgs wrote:It... it ate all my achievements. And my stats.

Sorry to hear that. I've added an early warning message in v5 if the app thinks it's going to do something wrong. This already caught one bug (which is fixed in v5).

If you can attach your original prof.sav to this thread, and state what you changed and which version of the app you were using, I'll look into what caused the issue for you.
Mr. Mister

Re: [Spoiler] FTL Profile Editor v5 - Unlock ships, keep sta

Postby Mr. Mister » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Last week I installed FTL on my laptop for a 2-hour train travel, but forgot to copy the profile from my main PC. Wasn't that much of a deal since I didn't think I would unlock anything, but somehow completed both the stealth cruiser quest and THough Litle Ship. This will let me combine these unlocks with my main profile (which had a lready a bunch of stuff), so thanks!
Gorlom

Re: [Spoiler] FTL Profile Editor v5 - Unlock ships, keep sta

Postby Gorlom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Bumping this for people that re trying to cheat by download other peoples profiles. :)

If you are going to cheat this is probably the better option ;)
ComaToes

Re: [Spoiler] FTL Profile Editor v6 - Unlock ships, keep sta

Postby ComaToes » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:31 am

I have released v6 (see updated screenshot in top post). This is a fairly big update so there's lots that could go wrong.

If you have problems, please let me know here.
McSqueeb

Re: [Spoiler] FTL Profile Editor v6 - Unlock ships, keep sta

Postby McSqueeb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 am

Version 5 opens with no problems for me, however v6 throws this error:

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError"

I'm running XP SP3, and Java 7u7. It does give a few more lines I can provide if you need.