FTLAV, the FTL data gathering and visualisation tool

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
NTG

Re: FTLAV, the FTL data gathering and visualisation tool

Postby NTG » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:29 pm

Neat design! Was already planning on redesigning the graph header, but this is a lot better than anything I've come up with so far!

When I said "every jump", I was simplifying. FTL only updates its savefile after the last event text, when you leave the store window or when you flee away from a enemy. Only in the last case data about the enemy gets recorded. In other words: when you defeat a enemy nothing about the nearby ships gets recorded, because the ship doesn't exist by the time you click on the last event text. This is also the reason that I'm going to leave out data about nearby ships, since it isn't really representative of what really happend.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:51 pm

Thankyou! (Hopefully you saw the one on the black background, not the garish white one I originally posted then hurridly changed)

I'd say feel free to use it, but that image would be a little tricky to deconstruct (lots of glows and overlays) - if you'd like me to make anything then let me know, or else you're more than welcome to just have the inspiration ^^

It's designed for use with twitch, so tried to fill it mostly with information that isn't already constantly on the screen.
I figure being able to see what augments are on the ship, and what's available in the other tabs on stores would make the stream that bit more accessible.

All I think's missing is a 10-jump hull/total crew health/oxygen/hazard tracker, but I dunno where i'd put it.

I only ask about the enemy ships because I was hoping to have another Ui that pops up at the start of enemy encounters, showing the hidden variables.
if it only gets recorded after you've left the jump, it wouldn't really be worth it.

Also, don't worry about watching the stream; the audio's messed for the first half, and when it isn't I'm talking.
Not fun for anyone.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
NTG

Postby NTG » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Gencool wrote:If the next version outputs in CSV, and is updated each jump, I should be able to work something out with excel (I may eve venture into Processing, thanks for the suggestion!)

Might be interesting to know that Processing also forms the basis for the part of FTLAV that renders the graph itself. This class this currently undergoing a massive overhall to make it more independent from the rest of the app. Additionally I'm going to make a separate Processing script that's only for displaying graphs. In other words: if you familiarise yourself with Processing you could contribute to FTLAV. It's an open source project after all.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:23 pm

Oh man, I'm not sure if its my spelling or my keyboard that's messing up, but i'm glad you actually understand what i'm trying to say :P

I figured that was the case. Does it also handle the little text box in the top left?
If so, i'l probably reverse engineer that. I love code but I'm no where near good enough to try to do something from scratch yet.

Also, just double checking; If there's an enemy ship loaded by an event, wouldn't the save file store all of that ships' data as soon as the final text box has been cleared and the fight begins?
I get it would be overwritten when you leave the beacon, but if the information's there so long as the enemy ship is, I'd also have a crack at making something like this;

ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
NTG

Postby NTG » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:38 am

Also, just double checking; If there's an enemy ship loaded by an event, wouldn't the save file store all of that ships' data as soon as the final text box has been cleared and the fight begins?

No, only when the fight is over or when you make a run for it. Or when it's one of those friendly ships that asks for fuel, then it's data is also saved.
I figured that was the case. Does it also handle the little text box in the top left?
If so, i'l probably reverse engineer that. I love code but I'm no where near good enough to try to do something from scratch yet.

Yes, the top left box is also drawn by this class, by the method drawTitle(). You can replace any mention of the FTLAdventureVisualiser and ShipDataParser objects with some test data (ie "Mantis Cruiser A" instead of ShipDataParser.getFullShipType(latest)). Also remove the pg. prefix so it gets rendered to the canvas directly instead of into an image.
NTG

Postby NTG » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Yesterday I've added a standalone version of the GraphRenderer class of FTLAV that's written entirely in Processing, what would make it easier to develop for myself and others. It currently uses "vanilla" Processing without the need of any libraries/imports, so it shouldn't be too hard to understand if you have a bit of experience working with Processing. The actual GraphRenderer class inside FTLAV is going to mirror this stand-alone version.

The sketch (that's what Processing projects are called), a directory called GraphRendererStandalone can be downloaded here. You will need Processing 3 to run it.