Hardest beggining ship?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
actionhero112

Re: Hardest beggining ship?

Postby actionhero112 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Local_Ork wrote:
Can't argue with last sentence (I had once TWO Glaives + Ion Bomb and preigniter) but Stealths (any actually) aren't THAT bad.

Shout out to this guy's weapon system that has 9 weapon slots.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 pm

You could use the bomb, then power up the glaive. :roll:
Wisq

Postby Wisq » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Jotoco wrote:
Wisq wrote:The only ships you can't deal with are automated drones and Zoltan shielded ships. You don't see the latter for a while, and you can still disable the former long enough to get away.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3403

Okay, so it can happen, but you also have the shield and the cloak. A lot more likely to survive than the stealth ship.

GDK wrote:You don't start with 10 with the engi B.
The reason you had 10 instead of 30 is because you were on normal mode instead of easy.

Hah, oops. Yeah, that makes more sense. I've been playing mostly on easy until I unlock all the ships. So maybe the crystal B becomes a lot harder on normal, but it's definitely the king of easy, IMO.
actionhero112

Postby actionhero112 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:46 pm

I just thought it was funny. I have a friend like that, who likes to top stories, and I love catching people doing it. Also you know how he meant it. In the context of using a pre igniter, he spouted he had both and a ion bomb, he wouldn't be bragging about having a weapon combination he couldn't even use, unless he thought he could use it.
icepick

Postby icepick » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Hah! Probably true. :)
Gus Smedstad

Postby Gus Smedstad » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Of the ships I've unlocked, which does not include the Stealth B or Crystal ship, the Slug B has been the worst. There are lots of early situations which are trivial in most ships which are expensive to impossible with no med bay and no energy weapons. AI scouts which are easy meat for most ships take 4-5 missiles to defeat. Boarding events which are usually just an opportunity to gain boarding skill and maybe one system damaged become serious, and deadly if your healing bomb misses. Minor combat injuries to regular crew now require ammunition to heal.

The extra scrap you get from capturing ships is offset by needing to shell out 60 scrap early for med bay, and the high cost of defeating AI scouts which are plentiful in the first sector. You can skip installing sensors (40 scrap) for a long time, but you can't go long without a medbay.
UnlivingGnome

Postby UnlivingGnome » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 pm

I think hardest ship is Stealth cruiser,although when you get the shields it's smooth sailing from there :)
daveron

Postby daveron » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:29 pm

I think that the worst starting ships are Engi Type B, Stealth B and Slug B...I would like to see a playthrough in one of those on a Normal level difficulty...

Engi has no crew, for 3 quite awful drones, and medicore weapons. What is the point in that? I understand that it was supposed to be even more drone focused than the A type, but i guess it went the wrong way as drones are no replacement for a crew. In the end you need to get yourself not only drones that are actually useful, but almost entire crew...simply terrible.

Slug B gives you additional slug, and a crew teleporter but you have no medbay (sensors aswell, but who cares) and your only offensive weapon is artemis, meaning that everytime you run into a Zoltan ship you are in trouble... And besides that, slugs are obviously medicore fighters. I hardly had any succes playing that ship on normal.

Stealth Type B is also silly, giving you one great weapon, but besides that completely nerfing your ship - no Titanium and weaker engines... Glad someone gave the ship enough power to be actually able to fire the weapon it recived... ;)

Other ships seem fine. I have not unlocked the Crystal ship however, so no opinion on that one.
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:52 pm

Engi B is hard, but very easy if you just sell all the expensive useless crap it starts with.

Slug B is weird, but not that hard, by the time missiles run out you have new weapons and scrap for medbay and weapons from all the early captures. I had some good runs with this one.

Stealth B I agree with you, the only ship I havent finished with yet, havent even gotten past S4.
jazzglands

Postby jazzglands » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:56 am

The hardest ship is the one that least fits your playstyle.

And the engi B