Hardest beggining ship?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
mastercats

Re: Hardest beggining ship?

Postby mastercats » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:17 am

This one is kind of a tie between mant B and stelath A. Crystal B is kind of hard but they can disable an AI very easily and quickly and jump away (with stealth for dodging weapons and missiles, and crystal crew that can jump on it and disable weapons and come back with out any worries)

Mant B has a hard time against auto mated assault and zolten ships. They have to just run and in the process can take some pretty heavy damage ><.

Stelath A..... is stelath A i hate that thing... i think its dumb .

I actually extremely hate he stealth ships. While mant B and maybe Crystal B might have a rocky start they have one of the best ends by virtue of just making way more scrap and have all but one system inate to them. The stealth ships can't make this extra income and has to pay a very high price from shield and will take more damage than any other ship puting you way way behind late game. I'd say the stelath ship must burn, but most of the time it does that all on its own. :p
Dragonblazez

Postby Dragonblazez » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:56 am

Torus B is so hard. You get no crew and no camera you don't know if you have breaches or fire. BTW people who think that the crystal B is bad starter. It's not true you just try to not land on automated ships. And it's one of the easiest ship to defeat the last boss
UberFubarius

Postby UberFubarius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Hardest beginning ship is, in my own opinion, Stealth B.
For one, there's essentially no skill involved in trying to stay alive early on. You essentially traded a shield for a cloak (both cost 150 scraps, so you don't get scrap advantage). If you ever have to fight against any drone, best hope you engine, helm, or weapon system don't get hit (no titanium casing = no chance of avoiding system going down).

Of course, if you're lucking in sector 1 to get at least a shield, or even a weapon preignitor, you'll pretty much set for the rest of the game (Glaive + Pre-Ignitor = I WIN button).
UberFubarius

Postby UberFubarius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Dragonblazez wrote:Torus B is so hard. You get no crew and no camera you don't know if you have breaches or fire. BTW people who think that the crystal B is bad starter. It's not true you just try to not land on automated ships. And it's one of the easiest ship to defeat the last boss

Actually crystal B is still survivable regarding automated ships. Granted in most cases you cannot hope to destroy them (unless you're in asteroid field, then target shield). you can, however, teleport your crew over to disable their weapons at least while your engine recharges (which, given the starting lvl 2 engine, shouldn't be that painful). Also, note that crystal suffer halved suffocation damage (which allow them to survive on drone ship a lot longer).
Local_Ork

Postby Local_Ork » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 pm

UberFubarius wrote:Hardest beginning ship is, in my own opinion, Stealth B.
For one, there's essentially no skill involved in trying to stay alive early on. You essentially traded a shield for a cloak (both cost 150 scraps, so you don't get scrap advantage). If you ever have to fight against any drone, best hope you engine, helm, or weapon system don't get hit (no titanium casing = no chance of avoiding system going down).

Of course, if you're lucking in sector 1 to get at least a shield, or even a weapon preignitor, you'll pretty much set for the rest of the game (Glaive + Pre-Ignitor = I WIN button).

Can't argue with last sentence (I had once TWO Glaives + Ion Bomb and preigniter) but Stealths (any actually) aren't THAT bad.

For Stealth B You need to upgrade cloak (basically count to 12, cloak for 15 sec, "snipe" with Glaive aiming at shield first [if You destroy it first then next room get hit with full power!] )and forget about shields (at least at beginning) but if You have little luck You may fly through few first sectors without a scratch. Droneships? Like above except aim at Weapons first first since You would need 2-3 salvos to wreck it.

Stealth A is also cool. It's starting weapons are really good - 1 energy beam, 1 energy laser (that shoots TWICE, so You can "destroy" shield, hit once system (like weapons), then beam across ship)

Basically those two ships need some training... but they are good.

As far as I see it, Torus B is kind of... bad, probably all the time.

I also had problems with Zoltan B (Noether?) due to initial lack of shield (Zoltan shield is good for preventing early missiles, but anything multi shot is bane until You get shield, which isn't that easy on "normal"), weak anti-boarding crew and "firefight under fire" unfriendly layout. It's good with some luck tho.
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:50 pm

I loved the Torus B. If you vent the entire ship except the rooms with real crew in them, you never need worry about boarders or fire. I only picked up sensors to look at the opposing ships.
Local_Ork

Postby Local_Ork » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 pm

I'll give it a chance. It's just... so awkward to have 1 guy.
In normal scenario this probably mean restart, at least until You have good ship and "easy" scrap for crew.
Wisq

Postby Wisq » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:45 pm

IMO, the crystal ship type B is hands down the easiest ship in the game. Had I been a play tester, I probably would've suggested it be nerfed somewhat.

Lack of weapons is hardly a disadvantage when you've replaced them with boarding. Few ships are going to beat the boss with only their starting weapons, so pretty much every ship needs to find more weapons to win. And what better way to find them, than by boarding every ship you come across? Or buying them with the oodles of scrap you end up with.

Plus, look at the benefits:

• starts with a shield AND a cloak — 150 scrap saved
  • starts with a teleporter — 75 scrap saved
  • has three of the best boarders in the game (high health, reduced O2 damage, LOCKDOWN!)
  • no need to power weapons at the start

Early game strategy is just to cloak immediately, move your pilot to the boarding room, and send all three into the enemy weapon room. Lock it down, kill the crew in there (if any), kill their weapons, then camp and let them come to you. If they try to run away to the medbay, lock them in with you. Done.

The only ships you can't deal with are automated drones and Zoltan shielded ships. You don't see the latter for a while, and you can still disable the former long enough to get away.

So yeah, little confused by people saying it's a difficult one. First ship I won the game with, and easily the ship I always get the furthest with.

As for the hardest ship — so far, definitely the engi B. I've not tried selling the starter equipment, but I can't imagine it's that big a benefit. As I recall, the repair drones only sell for 15 scrap, and you only start with 10 instead of the usual 30.
Jotoco

Postby Jotoco » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Wisq wrote:The only ships you can't deal with are automated drones and Zoltan shielded ships. You don't see the latter for a while, and you can still disable the former long enough to get away.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3403
GDK

Postby GDK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:46 pm

You don't start with 10 with the engi B.
The reason you had 10 instead of 30 is because you were on normal mode instead of easy.