Best Weapon Combos

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Leylite

Re: Best Weapon Combos

Postby Leylite » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Aphid wrote:You could have say 4 burst laser IIIs and fire 20 lasers.

Unfortunately the trick doesn't work very well with Burst Laser III as the starting weapons since it takes them so long to fire off all of their shots, so the secondary weapons would lose most of their charge during their time.

They could work okay as the secondary weapons (after your flak or missiles fire), but then they don't have any fire or breach chance, what a shame. :(
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:07 am

Vulcan + just about any 1 power weapon is devastating for only using 5 power.

Dual vulcans with drones ... I bet that was a fireworks show. The classic "board the rocket launcher" standard mothership fighting strategy probably wasn't even possible without endangering the boarding party to the mothership exploding. I've only had enough firepower to keep the boys at home once; I think it was when I had dual Flak-II's, a pre-igniter, and maybe something cheap thrown in like the 2-shot 1-power starting laser. That much firepower is sort of a benchmark: if you have headshot-level firepower there's a bunch of other stuff you don't need.

The pre-igniter gets the creaky old Vulcan spinning, doesn't it? Skipping the longest leg of the warm-up makes you deadly quickly.
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Obz3hL33t wrote:Vulcan + just about any 1 power weapon is devastating for only using 5 power.

Dual vulcans with drones ... I bet that was a fireworks show. The classic "board the rocket launcher" standard mothership fighting strategy probably wasn't even possible without endangering the boarding party to the mothership exploding. I've only had enough firepower to keep the boys at home once; I think it was when I had dual Flak-II's, a pre-igniter, and maybe something cheap thrown in like the 2-shot 1-power starting laser. That much firepower is sort of a benchmark: if you have headshot-level firepower there's a bunch of other stuff you don't need.

The pre-igniter gets the creaky old Vulcan spinning, doesn't it? Skipping the longest leg of the warm-up makes you deadly quickly.

Well, the Vulcan works well with the Leto missiles. It's glorious, watching as my Vulcan is sitting there spinning up while my enemies are already running around somewhat frantically trying to fix all the missile hits. After the Vulcan spins up, however, I depower everything and hack shields and laugh as the enemy gets obliterated.
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Braxbro wrote:Well, the Vulcan works well with the Leto missiles. It's glorious, watching as my Vulcan is sitting there spinning up while my enemies are already running around somewhat frantically trying to fix all the missile hits. After the Vulcan spins up, however, I depower everything and hack shields and laugh as the enemy gets obliterated.

Leto Missiles? You mean those 1-damage projectiles that can only be fired a limited number of times?
Anything works well with a Vulcan. Anything. The Vulcan is good at keeping shields down if the enemy evasion is super-high. I woudn't rely on the Leto. Shoot the shields and destroy them with the Vulcan while your other guns do damage elsewhere.
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:23 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Braxbro wrote:Well, the Vulcan works well with the Leto missiles. It's glorious, watching as my Vulcan is sitting there spinning up while my enemies are already running around somewhat frantically trying to fix all the missile hits. After the Vulcan spins up, however, I depower everything and hack shields and laugh as the enemy gets obliterated.

Leto Missiles? You mean those 1-damage projectiles that can only be fired a limited number of times?
Anything works well with a Vulcan. Anything. The Vulcan is good at keeping shields down if the enemy evasion is super-high. I woudn't rely on the Leto. Shoot the shields and destroy them with the Vulcan while your other guns do damage elsewhere.

Leto's still have a fast charge time; I never need to fire them more than three or four times, tops.
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
EpicTrojanVirus

Postby EpicTrojanVirus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Just played ftl this past few months
I manage to beat all ship layouts in normal
I now challenge myself beating it all in hard
I’m currently stuck in zoltan c, but nevermind

I’ve seen many good weapon combos on my runs like:
Two or three Burst laser II
Three or four Flak1
Flak2 and Glaive beam with pre igniter
Two Flak1 with (any beam or any heavy laser)
Any two of the same type of ion plus any beam or laser

I think that all of the above that i mentioned or any combos i read so far will never
beat my lucky recent run with the Fed C with TWO GLAIVE BEAMS in hard.

I bought flak1 at sector1 which carries me until sector3 where i bought a heavy laser1
I got the 1st glaive on an event in sector2 but i’ve never got to use it until sector7
Also by sector3, i bought a teleporter and got a small bomb from a pirate bribe
Got 2 mantises to do decent boarding wins
Never got two shields until sector5 but got 4 engines due to events
By sector7, i got:

Shield: 3
Engines:5
Clone: 2
Oxygen: 2
Flak A: 4
Teleporter: 1
Cloaking: 1
Weapons: 7

Augments:
Automated reloader
Recontructive teleportation
Zoltan shield

With enough scrap to do final upgrades
I jump to sector8, i manage to see a store 1 jump away from the base
I took a look there and there is the 2nd glaive beam
I think long enough and sell my heavy laser1 (my main weapons that time are flak1, HL1, small bomb and glaive)
I maxxed my cloaking and weapons and fully powered my 2 glaive beams and the flak1 and small bomb on standby for backup
With the Flak artillery every 20sec, it times well with two Glaive beams cooldown right before flak debris clears 4 layers of shield
Boss’ phase 1 dissipates after 1 volley, phase 2 after 1 volley and phase 3 after 3 volleys
Executions are trivial
Best satisfying win i’ve experience so far