I don't get it

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
nfiea2

Re: I don't get it

Postby nfiea2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:49 pm

samules wrote:
nfiea2 wrote:Why bother
I tired being nice and I was told that 1 I was lying and that 2 he couldn;t understand what I was lying about
these dev suckers need to stfu and I will tell them so
the devs need to be told what is broken so they can fix it
these fanboys need to just stfu and keep sucking and i'll tell them how to fix the game

Yes, there is no imaginable way people could like features that you don't like, they must be mindless fanboys who love the game regardless of any and all features.

Anti-Troll instinct satisfied, proceeding with actual post.

I really like this game, after the first few playthroughs you start to see repeating events and ways to deal with them. For example, I always try to upgrade piloting, sensors and the medbay, get an engy crewmember, and get a teleporter asap. This unlocks advanced options on a large portion of events. e.g. plague, malfunctioning defence system, Disapearing ship in nebula, automated ship guarding cache ect. ect. Granted I can't always get them all but when I do they often make back their cost, and so given the option I will pick those. Scrap management is also very important. I could upgrade weapons to use this bomb, but what if I find a store that will sell me something better? Or if I need better shields for an asteroid field? Granted I still get screwed by randomness sometimes (my personal favorite is 5 mantis boarders, boarding event and enemy with teleporter, with a 3 man human crew and a flaming medbay) then there literally can be nothing you can do, but you can reliably get to sector 5-6. I would hate the randomness in here IF it took longer than it does to make progress. If I spent a week of gaming to get tons of progress then to lose it randomly I would never play this game. I admit I am the kind of gamer who plays the, "cinematic experience" games. (the ones with the nigh instant revivals) But that is because those games all have long difficult campaigns that take ages to complete and losing all your progress is actually frustrating.

Let me take your only post and force myself into it's rear entry:

They don't even know WTF I'm talking about; they just say that I'm wrong
yet i'm the troll? lulz

This game staight up kills you to end the game; they added this "feature" because the game is incredibly small.

they took a decent idea and messed it all up to increase the replay value instead of fleshing out their ideas and making a full, decent game that people would play

they went back to the arcade tactic of killing you of randomly forcing players to restart over and over thinking that this increases the replay value

it doesn't and this isn't "rougelike"

face it
you don't like me because I insult everyone on here that just says "you're wrong" to me; and that is pretty much everyone that doesn't agree with the me.

what does it tell you when your side's only argument is that you enjoy losing over and over to random bullshit?

wise up bitch
Kurio

Postby Kurio » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:32 pm

nfiea2 wrote:you don't like me because I insult everyone on here

Not to poke the bear, but this is consistent with my experience.

Nothing wrong with honest disagreement, but I don't come to a game forum to listen to people be rude. That's what imageboards are for. Please take it to PMs if you still feel the need to communicate in this way. But not to me, because I'm really not interested.
samules

Postby samules » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:37 pm

nfiea2 wrote:Let me take your only post and force myself into it's rear entry:
They don't even know WTF I'm talking about; they just say that I'm wrong
yet i'm the troll? lulz

This game staight up kills you to end the game; they added this "feature" because the game is incredibly small.
they took a decent idea and messed it all up to increase the replay value instead of fleshing out their ideas and making a full, decent game that people would play

they went back to the arcade tactic of killing you of randomly forcing players to restart over and over thinking that this increases the replay value

it doesn't and this isn't "rougelike"

face it
you don't like me because I insult everyone on here that just says "you're wrong" to me; and that is pretty much everyone that doesn't agree with the me.

what does it tell you when your side's only argument is that you enjoy losing over and over to random bullshit?

wise up bitch

If I don't know what you are talking about, then please, enlighten me. As I recall your main complaint was that experience is worthless because of randomness, please see long detailed analysis on this in previous post. Your next statement regards another part of that post, damage mitigation, knowing when to use the "Leave" button in an event and so on. When you die in arcade games you do the same mission over again, here everything is random so it's an entirely different story.

There is strategy in this game, it just isn't guaranteed to work 100% of the time. But with strategy, I can get to sector 6 nearly every game even if I have the misfortune of not finding a single weapon the entire game. Granted I still lose but I enjoy the challenge.

Now you can either post a reply explaining what exactly you think is wrong with the game that is not a matter of preference (e.g. the Randomness, some people like it some don't deal with it) without childish insults and with reasonably correct spelling and grammar OR you can continue your trend and I can use the handy-dandy ignore button I see over here.

P.S. As for you being a troll, you are provocative, abrasive and don't bother to take 20 seconds to check your spelling, what do you expect people to think.
Hissatsu

Postby Hissatsu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:03 am

This game does not kill you ffs. Especially not "because game is small they made it so you are randomly killed". All you need to understand is that in this game you are expected to take hits, and you are expected to deal with it and live with it. You are expected to have "backup plans" and know when to run.

For example, you may think that if you have enough weapon system power to power all weapons you're using, you dont need more upgrades to weapon system? WRONG! Actually, having one extra weapon system upgrade means you can sustain a hit to weapon system and still have all weapons operational. This can mean a LOT. Same with shields - you can think that having odd amount of shield system upgrades is waste of scrap, but it actually isnt, because it means you can sustain one ion hit or one damage to shield system and still have it operational.

Same goes for each time you jump into a nebula - do you have an odd number of power in reactor? Because if there's an ion storm, energy is rounded up and so, having odd number of power means you have 1 extra power (in other words, 7 and 8 both give 4 power), And, when jumping into a nebula - do you have enough energy so that with half of it you can still power enough of your weapons / drones and preferably 1 level of shielding (or cloaking device)?

Really, after you learn to play this game, you only lose it because you make a deliberate mistake. And you can even live with that mistake (one game i had Stealth A and killed two of my three starting persons by autofiring at enemy ship while they were still there... guess what, it wasnt the end, i managed to live through that, for some time, i had same crewmember both pilot and man the guns, and then i got lucky with new crew, and then i lost them AGAIN because enemy ship system burned out at the last tick of the teleportation animation, and guess what, i managed to live through that too!).

If you play like you're supposed to act IRL, if your life would depend on it - have redundant systems (odd number of shield system upgrades, extra weapon sytem upgrade) - then you will very rarely get "killed" or even not at all. If you maximie your profits (if you can win via boarding, do it) you will have no problem getting enough scrap for the boss to be laughable opponent even on normal. If you study the game - learn to drain power out of "locked" systems, like cloak or teleported, using zoltan crewmember, learn to swap your guys around the room when fighting so that they evently take hits, learn to run around enemy ship dodging shots until teleporter gets back online, learn to swap power around to both have dodge at max and o2 and drones etc, learn to suffocate enemy doods even with basic doors, learn to kill enemy crew by first luring them into a room with your boarding party and then damaging them with your ship weapons, learn to deal 4 hull damage with one shot of mini beam, etc, then you wont have a "random" game anymore (well, if you're not playing a wierd ship like Stealth B or Torus B or other bizzare ones).

If you are playing Kestrel A, Zoltan A, Stealth A, Torus A (this one is like the best there is), and you do it right, really, you will get outright killed maybe once or twice in 10 playthroughs at normal, other times you'd just decide to restart after you get unlucky, like, have minimal scrap and major hull damage at the end of first sector, while shops had complete garbage and you didnt get absolutely any loot (however even that could be salvageable), or if you get unlucky with events (but thing is, if you want to win with every playthrough, dont participate in dangerous events like "fighting giant spiders" or "cave madman", or "great eye"). But even such situations can be salvageable. You only "die" if you have 0 hull integrity or all your crew dies. You'd be surprised how many times you can still salvage the game and survive when it looks like "oh i'm screwed by the game again, ffs why does it keep happening to me"
DasRav

Postby DasRav » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:05 pm

People, stop feeding the troll. The game is random but you can learn to be good at it anyway. This is not a point we have to argue about.
Raikao

Postby Raikao » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 pm

But we do have to. It always amazes me how everytime someone voices critic, a bunch of shining knights come out of nowhere proclaiming everything is fine. Just drop the act already, seriously. The game is not a flawless masterpiece that can't be improved upon.

That said, it truly is too random a game. Certain ships will not get past sector 1 if the wrong event or enemy turns up. The OPs point is still valid, more often than not you will just die and have noway of beating the game. It feels too random. I play on easy and have never beaten the boss. Because apparently, if I don't find 2 Ion blasters, some structure beams and have a cloak, I just can't beat the boss.

Boarding parties are almost useless EXCEPT for the last boss where suddenly they're the absolute best option for taking out the weapons, cause the rooms aren't connected to the rest of the ship.
But of course you loose your guys if the enemy ship blows up or escapes with them still on board. Why does the boarding party not just teleport back if the enemy ship blows up or escapes automatically? And don't you dare say "cause it's more challenging". Bad design, or clunky micro intensive mechanics do not equal actually difficulty.

So yeah, how come I have yet to beat the game on freaking easy? Not to mention I still have only 2 ships unlocked. Don't even try "you need better tactics", because that's not true. You need that ONE viable tactic to beat the boss, and the game has to work in your favor and not screw you over.

I've had instant restarts at the first beacon I travel to, this is just broken. And I played dungeons of deldrimor and enjoyed that immensely. But that game never felt as random as this one does. So "It's a roguelike" is not a valid argument either.

But please, do enlighten me, how do I beat the game on easy using the kestrel or the engi ship? And how often does that work, 1 in 20 games? 1 in 100? When does "roguelike" and "unforgiving" become "poorly designed".

Don't get me wrong, the game is great, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it via steam AFTER I already downloaded it. So it's not like I hate the game, or don't want to support the devs.

But that does not mean, that the OP or I can't voice our criticism.
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Raikao wrote:
Boarding parties are almost useless EXCEPT for the last boss where suddenly they're the absolute best option for taking out the weapons, cause the rooms aren't connected to the rest of the ship.
But of course you loose your guys if the enemy ship blows up or escapes with them still on board. Why does the boarding party not just teleport back if the enemy ship blows up or escapes automatically? And don't you dare say "cause it's more challenging". Bad design, or clunky micro intensive mechanics do not equal actually difficulty.

I'm going to stop you right there. Boarding parties are useless? Boarding is actually one of the easier ways to beat the game. All you need for successful boarding parties is two mantis units and an upgraded teleporter. In return, you get a ton more scrap than you would if you just went around blowing everything up, leaving you in a much better position end game to beat the boss, simply because you have more in equipment and upgrades than you otherwise would have.

I also laugh at you for saying that you'll lose against the boss unless you have one specific weapon setup, because nothing is further from the truth. I've beaten the boss on easy numerous times and on normal a few, and not once was my weapon and ship setup even remotely similar to each other. A battery of ions works, like you said. So does a boarding party. So do bombs. An entire battery of burst lasers will wipe the boss down easily. Drones, both offensive and defensive makes the boss much easier. Hell, a Torus with three anti-ship drones will absolutely wreck the boss assuming you have anything other than your starting weapon. I lose more often than I win (which is fine, losing is fun), but I've very rarely felt that I never had a chance to win. More often, I find myself saying "Oh, I would have won if I targeted his drones instead of his weapons" or something similar. I've only had an ion weapon once when beating the boss. I've also only had a cloak once when beating the boss. I've never had them together.

I've also never been legitimately blown up in the early sectors with anything other than the stealth ship (and really, that was only before I understood how to use stealth). Running away is a completely valid tactic (especially in the Mantis B ship, which starts with NO weapons and can't do a single thing to drone and zoltan ships before it does.)

I won't deny that there are some randomness issues (I usually restart a few times with the Mantis B if I get a few too many unkillable ships first sector), but there is way more skill than what you're saying. There's certainly a multitude of ways to kill the boss.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm

There are a number of weapon set ups you can use to beat the boss. You can do it with burst lasers and enough anti ship 1 drones to break through the shields, you can do it with ion weapons and a laser / beam to do damage, you can do it with missiles if you have a large enough stock pile, you can out right board it and destroy it that way though unless you have some tool to take out the med bay it might be difficult.

Randomness is a big factor in the game however short of the first few sectors there are rarely situations where you just out right die. You have control over a lot of things even if you don't know you have control over them.
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
samules

Postby samules » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:47 pm

The point is not that its perfect for everyone, the point is that it's a matter of preference weather you like the game design or not. I don't object to people saying "I don't like the randomness." I object to people saying "The randomness sucks and they need to fix this." Its a feature, not a bug, it is NOT for everyone. And there are a variety of tactics to beat the boss, I am no expert but I have done it several ways, Boarding parties and ions are good but not the only way. Lots of missiles and bombs penetrate shields and can save you a lot of effort on energy weapons if you saved up enough of the missiles. Cloaking allows you to dodge a his super weapons, and defence drones can protect you from missiles. Powerful beams can deal insane damage if you fire a burst laser first and time it well and targeting his piloting makes him unable to dodge. All of those are viable tactics against him.

Another part of the randomness is that walkthroughs are impossible. I can't just tell you how to win the game with some nice numbered steps you can follow, they would work and they could not. Knowlege about the events and their results are important. As you may have learned, don't let madmen on your ship and don't help with spiders, but did you know that getting an advanced medbay, teleporters and sensors, even if you don't want to use them can be worth it? Several beacons reward you for having those things instead of severely harming you, like the plague or the ship dissapearing into the nebula. Prepare yourself for those possibilities and you stand a much better chance.

If after trying these ideas you still don't enjoy playing... Find a different game, this one isn't for you.

P.S. On boarding parties, if you kill all the enemy crew it gives you far more resources and quite a good chance of getting more weapons.
Misty

Postby Misty » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Raikao wrote:That said, it truly is too random a game. Certain ships will not get past sector 1 if the wrong event or enemy turns up. The OPs point is still valid, more often than not you will just die and have noway of beating the game. It feels too random. I play on easy and have never beaten the boss. Because apparently, if I don't find 2 Ion blasters, some structure beams and have a cloak, I just can't beat the boss.

The problem is the player and neither the ship nor the RNG. I defeated the boss on normal without a mixture of ion blasters, beams, or cloak. There are many valid tactics to defeat it, you just need to set up a ship in which the weapons work together instead of just bolting anything you find to it and hoping for the best. Most of the times I install cloak I don't even use it as I just can't get the timing right to dodge several surges, I just trust the dodge and micromanage my systems.

Maybe your problem is that you are playing on easy and thus getting a lot of bad habits, I don't know.

Raikao wrote:Boarding parties are almost useless EXCEPT for the last boss where suddenly they're the absolute best option for taking out the weapons, cause the rooms aren't connected to the rest of the ship.

Boarding parties are almost useless, you say? This is probably one of the reasons why you fail. The ships I have defeated the boss with rarely destroyed a ship past sector II, and they were not "boarding ships" but a Red Tail, an Osprey, and a Torus. If you can't get the boarding mechanics by yourself just ask around for advice instead of believing you are entitled to win the game. Even the Engi and the Zoltan can capture you a ship if you have good micro skills and learn how the AI works so as to exploit the enemy crew's behaviour to your advantage.

Every ship you destroy is scrap you are wasting. Once you learn the proper way to lead a boarding party sectors three to six will be walks in the park, and you will have more than enough scrap to make sector seven and eight a non issue. Maxed out shields and engines do wonders.

Raikao wrote:So yeah, how come I have yet to beat the game on freaking easy? Not to mention I still have only 2 ships unlocked. Don't even try "you need better tactics", because that's not true. You need that ONE viable tactic to beat the boss, and the game has to work in your favor and not screw you over.

You need better skills, I am sorry to say. That you need ONE viable tactic to beat the boss is a straight out lie. You just need three things: A way to disable the guns, a way to disable the shields, and a way to survive the power surges. There are many ways to do those three things.

You don't need stealth, though it helps. Get three to four shields and 45% to 55% dodge, and a couple of basic defense drones if you can. You don't need Ion Blasters, get missiles or bombs instead. Or learn to use your boarding party. You don't need hull beams, I have never used a beam other than the Osprey's one.

The scrap for all that you get from learning to use your boarding parties so you can get around double scrap from most encounters along the way.

Raikao wrote:I've had instant restarts at the first beacon I travel to, this is just broken. And I played dungeons of deldrimor and enjoyed that immensely. But that game never felt as random as this one does. So "It's a roguelike" is not a valid argument either.

"If I can't manage to win this game it is poorly designed! Q.Q." No, it is not. You are assuming that you are skilled, which is your mistake. Skill is acquired, not something that you have by default.

And Dungeons of Dredmor is a pretty casual roguelike, much more forgiving than most. There are much more unforgiving games out there, both roguelike and not.

Raikao wrote:I've had instant restarts at the first beacon I travel to, this is just broken. And I played dungeons of deldrimor and enjoyed that immensely. But that game never felt as random as this one does. So "It's a roguelike" is not a valid argument either.

That's a valid complain, but it is better for that to happen on the first beacon you travel to instead of halfway through sector seven. And it is better a game that goes a bit overboard with the starting level than another run-of-the-mill game that even your grandma could win with her eyes closed.

Just restart and be done with it. I am sure you can live with having wasted five seconds to make a jump, and you only need two jumps, three at most, to buy your second shield. What's that, five minutes?

Raikao wrote:But please, do enlighten me, how do I beat the game on easy using the kestrel or the engi ship? And how often does that work, 1 in 20 games? 1 in 100? When does "roguelike" and "unforgiving" become "poorly designed".

The Engi Ship, the Torus, is one of the best ships in the entire game. Get her a second shield as soon as you hit 50 scrap and then start saving for the three most important things you need to get: A teleporter, a second way to disable systems (missile, bomb. or extra ion blasters), and a defense drone. From here on it is smooth sailing: Find a ship, disable its weapons, send in your crew in two or three groups aiming for a different key system each.

Welcome to a life of traveling around the galaxy on a pimped out ship while lighting cigars with money. A pirate's life for me.

Edit: And even those I gave you are guidelines instead of rules. In the Torus I defeated the boss with I did not manage to get a defense drone until sector five, and I didn't get a teleporter until halfway through sector three. We managed all the same, and by the end of the game I had maxed almost all systems on my ship.

Raikao wrote:Don't get me wrong, the game is great, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it via steam AFTER I already downloaded it. So it's not like I hate the game, or don't want to support the devs.

But that does not mean, that the OP or I can't voice our criticism.

It does mean that you should be asking for advice instead of deciding you are somehow skilled enough and thus the problem is not you but the game. Several of your comments point at you still not understanding all of the mechanics, so chill out.

Edit: It's Torus, not Thorus. My bad. :oops:
Last edited by Misty on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.