Advice for Rock-C ship?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Alex1939

Advice for Rock-C ship?

Postby Alex1939 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi, love this game.

I've been attempting to beat the game with every ship in normal before I move on to hard. I have 3 to go. I switched to Captains Edition once I unlocked all class C ships, so this is Captains Edition playthrough.

For some reason, I have really struggled with the Rock-C ship that starts with 2 Rock and 1 Crystal crew. I try to have the Crystal make a new weapon and use that when I can. I've tried going for a teleporter strategy and I've tried not using that strategy.

Does anyone have some advice for what type of general strategy they use to win with this ship?

Thanks.
stylesrj

Re: Advice for Rock-C ship?

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:00 am

Don't use it on Captain's Edition until you've got an idea on how it works?

Honestly, the augment it starts with is only worth selling. I know it's a Crystal ship but it really should have Rock Plating like the other Rock vessels.

As for how to use it? Keep winning battles until you can afford some decent guns or find some decent guns. Also get a Mantis to accompany the Crystal for boarding operations (not a Lanius. You don't want your prized boarder damaged before the boarding operation begins because of a lack of breathing room). Having a Crystal means you can drop into Weapons (Or Drones if it's one of those Minelayers or Missile Drones), lock it down and hopefully disable the missiles before the enemy rallies.

Also, be sure to rename the Crystal to Ruwen. Strangely enough upon reaching the Rock Homeworlds, you'll get the beacon if the Crystal on the ship is named after the one you rescue from the stasis pod.
Although Captain's Edition might have changed it so it's any Crystal.
Alex1939

Postby Alex1939 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks for response.

What do you think about the artillery for the Rock-C ship?

I'm on a pretty good run right now near the end of sector 5. I bought the teleporter and a Mantis and used the Crystal/Mantis combo. Have not been able to find any really good weapons, currently have Heavy Lock, Normal Lock, the double Lock (that fires two), and the phase ion 1. I don't think that's going to cut it against the boss. Wondering if the artillery is worth a go? I currently have 250ish scrap, but only at the 2 shield,2 engine upgrade.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:13 pm

I never really use artillery on any ship. Even the ones that already come with it. It's a neat gimmick but after getting Cloak and a Teleporter, I'm grumbling that I don't have Hacking or Mind Control to go with it. Same with ships with Drone Control.

So I don't know anything about the artillery on the Rock C. Never seen it in CE.