Most profitable sectors?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Triplefox

Most profitable sectors?

Postby Triplefox » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:50 pm

I've been playing with two different strategies for sector choice:

1. Red and purple sectors whenever possible.
2. Green sectors whenever possible.

It seems like strategy 1 makes me weaker for the endgame; even though I fight a lot of battles, I get fewer bonuses than by fighting those battles in the green sectors - "rescued ship/planet" events often add more scrap, items or supplies. Over time this compounds; in my most recent all-green run I found myself running out of useful purchases.

Of course, there are also many special events that will only occur in red and purple types. Some of those might be worthwhile.

Any thoughts? Disagreement?
Warhawx

Re: Most profitable sectors?

Postby Warhawx » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Nebulas. Rebels are slower when you jump into Nebula nodes, which means you can hit many more nodes than normal sectors.
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:34 pm

I thought that nebula sectors didn't affect the fleet's speed? At least, that's the message I got when you hover over a node in a nebula sector.
Tuplis

Postby Tuplis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:35 pm

From what I've observed, nebulas are much more likely to either not contain an event or that the event is just random enemies boarding you.
Aegis

Postby Aegis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Tuplis wrote:From what I've observed, nebulas are much more likely to either not contain an event or that the event is just random enemies boarding you.

This. Many more boarding actions in nebula sectors. Fortunately, for me at anyrate, I seem to run into far less environmental battles involving asteroids or the heat of a giant sun. That and there are some pretty slick encounters which give good weapons.

Aerowind wrote:I thought that nebula sectors didn't affect the fleet's speed? At least, that's the message I got when you hover over a node in a nebula sector.

The sector itself does not, recall however that nearly every node within the sector is nebula and therefore is a reduction on fleet travel.
Clearing the airspace.
dyrewulf

Postby dyrewulf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Aegis wrote:The sector itself does not, recall however that nearly every node within the sector is nebula and therefore is a reduction on fleet travel.

No, this isn't true. In regular sectors if you visit nebula nodes, those slow down the fleet's advancement, as can be seen on your subsequent jump when the advancement line is much closer to the danger zone. Nebula sectors on the other hand are nearly all nebula nodes, and you never see the advancement line reduce its range/distance from the danger zone (it's the same as in a normal sector/node), which is what the "tool tip" is referencing in saying the rebels were prepared for nebula and won't be slowed in this sector.
TaiidanHeavyCruiser

Postby TaiidanHeavyCruiser » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Engi Homeworlds always nets me a ton of scrap and supplies, usual a drone or weapon or two.
Aegis

Postby Aegis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:49 pm

dyrewulf wrote:
Aegis wrote:The sector itself does not, recall however that nearly every node within the sector is nebula and therefore is a reduction on fleet travel.

No, this isn't true. In regular sectors if you visit nebula nodes, those slow down the fleet's advancement, as can be seen on your subsequent jump when the advancement line is much closer to the danger zone. Nebula sectors on the other hand are nearly all nebula nodes, and you never see the advancement line reduce its range/distance from the danger zone (it's the same as in a normal sector/node), which is what the "tool tip" is referencing in saying the rebels were prepared for nebula and won't be slowed in this sector.

Mayhaps its just how my games have turned out then. I've ususally visted 2/3s of the points in a nebula sector before the fleet even shows up. Admitedly, I tend to enter them late game... perhaps this is simply confirmation bias.
Last edited by Aegis on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clearing the airspace.
Retro

Postby Retro » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:24 am

As far as I can tell, there is still a slow down to the rebel advancement in nebula sectors. It's not as great as hitting a small nebula in a normal sector but I'm 99% sure the fleet moves at something like 2/3 of their normal speed, possibly 3/4.
Bifidus

Postby Bifidus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 am

A haven't play a lot (just beat the game in easy), but i found nebula sectors were bad, because i really need as much power than i can, and seeing where ennemies are, and their race, is priceless.
On the other hand, green or red sectors don't really mater. I tend to just avoid the violet ones.
The long range detectors also can help a lot (these suns and asteroids belts are dangerous).