Stasis Pod Distribution

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Louisiana Hot Sauce

Stasis Pod Distribution

Postby Louisiana Hot Sauce » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:48 am

I was wondering if anyone's picked up the Stasis Pod as soon as Sector 1? I've gotten it in red and green zones, but I haven't had much luck finding it, and then a Zoltan sector, and then a Rock Homeworld. Also, can you pick the pod up in other homeworlds?
SlowerThanLight

Re: Stasis Pod Distribution

Postby SlowerThanLight » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:20 am

Here are the hard numbers.

The stasis pod is found in the ASTEROID_DERELICT_SHIP event. This event is in turn called by the following three event lists: NEUTRAL_ENGI, NEUTRAL_PIRATE, NEUTRAL_ROCK. These lists are only called by Engi, Pirate, and Rock sectors. You can't find the pod in the first sector because the first sector is it's own unique class that doesn't belong to the ones list above.

The exact eevnt distributions are shown below. Strangely, the homeworld sectors have the same lists as the normal sectors. There doesn't seem to be any real difference.

<startEvent>START_BEACON_ROCK</startEvent>
<event name="ROCK_CRYSTAL_BEACON" min="1" max="1"/> <!-- CRYSTAL UNLOCK-->
<event name="ROCK_UNLOCK1" min="1" max="1"/>
<event name="STORE_ROCK" min="2" max="2"/>
<event name="NOTHING_ROCK" min="2" max="3"/>
<event name="DISTRESS_BEACON_ROCK" min="1" max="2"/>
<event name="HOSTILE_ROCK" min="6" max="8"/>
<event name="BOARDERS_ROCK" min="1" max="2"/>
<event name="ITEMS" min="1" max="2"/>
<event name="QUESTS_ROCK" min="0" max="1"/>
<event name="NEUTRAL_ROCK" min="7" max="8"/>

<startEvent>START_BEACON_PIRATE</startEvent>
<event name="STORE_PIRATE" min="1" max="2"/>
<event name="ITEMS" min="1" max="2"/>
<event name="HOSTILE_PIRATE" min="6" max="8"/>
<event name="BOARDERS_PIRATE" min="1" max="1"/>
<event name="DISTRESS_BEACON_PIRATE" min="1" max="2"/>
<event name="NEBULA_PIRATE" min="0" max="5"/>
<event name="NOTHING_PIRATE" min="1" max="2"/> <!-- need more -->
<event name="QUESTS_PIRATE" min="0" max="1"/> <!-- need more -->
<event name="NEUTRAL_PIRATE" min="5" max="6"/>

<startEvent>START_BEACON_ENGI</startEvent>
<event name="ENGI_UNLOCK_1" min="1" max="1"/>
<event name="STORE_ENGI" min="2" max="3"/>
<event name="ITEMS" min="2" max="2"/>
<event name="NOTHING_ENGI" min="1" max="2"/>
<event name="ITEMS_ENGI" min="3" max="3"/>
<event name="DISTRESS_BEACON_ENGI" min="1" max="3"/>
<event name="QUESTS_ENGI" min="1" max="1"/>
<event name="NEUTRAL_ENGI" min="5" max="7"/>
<event name="HOSTILE_ENGI" min="5" max="7"/>

Of course, just because your list gets called doesn't mean you're going to get your stasis pod. ENGI_NEUTRAL has 10 events in total, PIRATE_NEUTRAL has 8, and ROCK_NEUTRAL has 9. I believe that when an event list is called, the events in the list are weighed equally and one is pulled out of a hat at random. I'll leave it up to the reader to calculate the oddsfor any given sector, but he executive summary is that you want to explore Pirate, Engi, and Rock sectors.
Louisiana Hot Sauce

Postby Louisiana Hot Sauce » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks! That was actually very helpful.
DarkenDragon

Postby DarkenDragon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 am

where did you find this list? been looking for this for a while
HumbleSloth

Postby HumbleSloth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks SlowerThanLight! It's very helpful to have the numbers rather than anecdotal evidence.
SlowerThanLight

Postby SlowerThanLight » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:25 pm

It's all in the data.dat file. Just go to your resources fold and you'll find it. It's easily readable with any text editor (just don't try to actually edit anything that way or you'll break the compiled code). I've been trying to direct people to it because it answers about 95% of the questions brought up on this board and also disproves a lot of popular but totally incorrect lore about how the game actually works.

Oh, and something I should have mentioned in the beginning. The derelict asteroid event (the one that you want) is always marked with a distress beacon. That should help narrow your search even more. There is also no guarantee that you'll actually get the stasis pod even if you do find the right ship. There's a long list of resolutions that gets called in that event, and not all of them let you take the pod.
HumbleSloth

Postby HumbleSloth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 pm

I also see that there is a blue option for having Rock Armor, which will guarantee you find the pod, rather than having three possible results of searching the ship (pod, salvage, asteroids). So using a Rock ship should also speed up the search.
boran_blok

Postby boran_blok » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Also, isnt there an achievement for using the rock ship and finding the secret sector ?

This way if by a miracle you manage to get the stars to align you get two things at once, the achievement and the ship.
Binky

Postby Binky » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:06 am

I lucked onto a Stasis Pod, stumbled into the Zoltan researchers and got the Crystal guy and have by pure chance taken the right path and found the Rock Homeworld sector... and theres nothing here. Shouldnt there be a quest marker or something?
Because I've already used up about 8 years worth of luck to get this far and I dont fancy my chances of just, by coincidence, wandering into the 1-in-21 beacon that'll give the ship :(

[Edit:] Lol nevermind. First jump took me right to it, then I got the quest marker. Is that how it works or have I just used up all the remaining good fortune I'll ever have in my life?
Starbug

Postby Starbug » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Lol :D, not for the rest of your life, just for the FTL universe.
From now on, expect to 'escape' from asteroid fields into other asteroid fields, and from Stars straight into other stars XD