Side with the Engi or Mantis

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Chocolateknife

Side with the Engi or Mantis

Postby Chocolateknife » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:06 am

So there's this one really annoying scenario where you find a Mantis aboard your ship.

You find out that the Mantis is wanted by the Engis.

Do you:

A. Side with the Engis and turn over the Mantis

or

B. Side with the Mantis.

This is the only scenario where there is no guaranteed way to avoid a negative and it really annoys me because I always choose the wrong one. This shouldn't be the case, every scenario has a way for you to not take a chance. This one, however, screws you over almost every time.

If you side with the Engis you could either get scrap OR realize that it was all part of a Mantis scheme, leaving you with instant hull damage, and a fight against an Engi ship

If you side with the Mantis you could get instant hull damage and some other outcome that I could never get.

90% of the time I always get hull damage on this one and it really bugs me whenever I'm already low on health. Can we add an option to just leave the mantis alone?
Raxxman

Re: Side with the Engi or Mantis

Postby Raxxman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:21 am

siding with the mantis gives you him as a crew member (or he blows you up trolololol)

happens :)
cuthawolf

Postby cuthawolf » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:17 am

I've had three different results for this mission.

*Spoilers!*

1) I turned him over to the Engi. They were happy, gave me scrap and wandered off.

2) I protected him, got him as a crew member and had to fight the Engi.

3) I tried to turn him over, he damaged my ship AND the Engi didn't give me any scrap.
Innominate

Postby Innominate » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:32 am

I always side with the mantis on the off chance I might get him as a crew member. I think he's sabotaged my ship 6 or so times for every time he's joined (sometimes more than once in a single game).
icepick

Postby icepick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:07 am

There are many events where you have no garuntees either way.
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 am

This event is the one I am least fond of (none of my mantis dudes ever do 5 damage to the enemy). After getting this event 5 times in one play and it damaging me 4 of those times (last one killed me), I decided to check it out in the data.dat file. Spoiler:
Defending him is 50/50 between joining your crew and doing 5 damage, while turning him over is 33/33/33 between just getting paid, getting 5 damage but also paid, and him becoming a boarder.