Speeding up gameplay

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Xantrim

Speeding up gameplay

Postby Xantrim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi all,

if you are like me, and want to squeeze in a fast round of FTL whenever there's time, here is a good tip to save some time on the starting battles and on the "cleanup step" after combat.

First of all, get Cheat Engine (download from http://cheatengine.org/).

Open it up, and then follow these steps (pictures follow):
  1. Press the "Select Process" buttond and chose ftlgame.exe
  2. Mark the checkbox labelled "Enable Speed Hack"
  3. Go to Edit /Settings / Hotkeys
  4. Use the speedhack speed 1-5 entries, select a hotkey for each and a corresponding speed. I usually have F1 bound to 1x, F2 to 2x (for the boring starting battles) and F3 to 5x.
  5. Remember to use one hotkey for setting the speed back to 1x
Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/Yfku2

There you go, I hope you find it useful.
ftlguy

Re: Speeding up gameplay

Postby ftlguy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 pm

I can't turn on speed hack."Failure enabling speedhack.(dll injection failed): Failed to allocate memory"
Swin

Postby Swin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:30 am

Speedhack (from Cheat Engine) doesn't seem to be working for this game... which is extremely odd, I've never seen that before. Anyone know what gives? I'm not finding much online. I always speed up all my single player games at some point to develop my mad skillz at a faster rate. ;)

**EDIT** Nevermind, works fine, I just had bad frame rate. ATI Tray Tools did a good job of illustrating this. I turned off dynamic backgrounds and that helped a bit, mostly I found out that the wifi card I had plugged into my laptop was causing hardware interrupts (looking at threaded view of SYSTEM with Process Explorer) at a constant 10% or so and disturbing everything else.
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 pm

After the recent FTL 1.6.1 patch, I found CheatEngine's speed hack no longer worked. Or to be exact, it only worked at x2 speed.

I solved this by forcing V-sync to "off" using my graphic card software (Nvidia control panel). It seems that FTL was keeping V-sync on, regardless of the in-game setting.

Turning off V-sync unlocks the frame rate, which allows the speed hack to go as fast as your frames.