New worst ship?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
stylesrj

Re: New worst ship?

Postby stylesrj » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Let's say I died before I got a shot off their hull. Zoltan C will go down in history, worse than Stealth A and C.

Some would argue that the Zoltan C just requires better tactics but my counter-argument is that not everyone remembers it has a battery. Most of the time I buy the battery subsystem and forget to use it when a power crisis comes up.

Also, Zoltan C sucks.
SelphieSelfie

Postby SelphieSelfie » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:05 pm

I'd like to give this a bump.
I'm only playing on Hard now and I noticed the Simo-H and Zoltan C aren't as bad as people are making them out to be.

The Simo-H has some of the best starting weapons compared to the Stealth B and as mentioned only needs that 1st layer of shields to be decent unless faced with ridiculous opponents (worst encounters for me are 2 drone, 2 shields AI ships in Sect 2 and 3 shield Mantis ship in sector 3. Those were fucking cheap.) early game.

The Zoltan C has a decent weapons for again "normal" ships (shieldless AIs, Interceptors, mantis scouts) and can even defeat 2 shield ships given the Ion hits. The key is turning on the Beam Drone just when the Ion is about 7/8s full so the first beam shot always hits. Knowing when to use the battery is important too. I tend to let the Zoltan shield get to about 1 or 2 hp before turning on the battery to switch to normal shields.

So far I haven't been able to get past sect 2 with the Mantis C. The bombs and starting crew are pretty bad.
That leaves the Fed C for me to really try. I've been passing on it lately, not patient enough for the 50 sec Flak shot.

Of all ships I've tried, I still find the Bulwark the worst.
SelphieSelfie

Postby SelphieSelfie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Bump.

Right now the Mantis C seems to be taking the cake for me as worst ship ever.
You know how sometimes you're lucky enough to get a crew member first jump?
Sometimes nothing fancy. Just an engi or a human.
Well this ship REQUIRES A MANTIS ON THE FIRST JUMP to make it even a viable boarding ship!!!

You thought having a Lanius might make your life a little easier?
Ok so you've defeated the crew on the first ship. Great.
Clone your Mantis for the next battle and--wait, you mean to tell me you have no choice but to send a tired, 15 hp Lanius on your next board!?

And as usual there's no way to disable medbays or just the weapon systems.
You encounter a rebel ship not outfitted for battle, you let them go because they're gonna jump away anyway.

Maybe the Bulwark is way too slow but at least there's a way of disabling systems no matter how small the chance of MISSles hitting is. I hate to say this but at least the Fed C had the Flak Artillery, a pathetic of disabling systems but at least it works.
Leylite

Postby Leylite » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:03 pm

SelphieSelfie wrote:Bump.
And as usual there's no way to disable medbays or just the weapon systems.
You encounter a rebel ship not outfitted for battle, you let them go because they're gonna jump away anyway.

You've got a Lockdown Bomb - sure, it takes a long time to charge, meaning you have to survive one volley of Burst IIs and Flak Is, but you do have that option.

you mean to tell me you have no choice but to send a tired, 15 hp Lanius on your next board!?

You can deliberately let them die at the end of the previous battle by having them run around within the room instead of fighting the last crewman, then have the Mantis kill the final enemy crewman.

--

The real problem with this ship is that, as usual for boarding ships, you don't have a good way of taking down Zoltan Shields until you get a new weapon. Sure, like the Slug B you *can* technically take them down if you want to, but in practice you usually just want to run away from any Zoltan ships you see in Sector 1, especially if they've got good weapons and/or a medbay.
PiratedChaos

Postby PiratedChaos » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:59 pm

It's a no-brainer. The Simo-H is by far the worst ship in AE. I mean, you don't start with shields or cloaking, and all you get is a crappy supershield generator that is really slow. Even the Engi B and Federation C is better, and THAT'S saying something.
Won on Hard: All ships! :D
Won on CE Hard: Kestrel A, Engi C, Federation B, Zoltan C, Slug A, Rock B
SelphieSelfie

Postby SelphieSelfie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:17 pm

PiratedChaos wrote:It's a no-brainer. The Simo-H is by far the worst ship in AE. I mean, you don't start with shields or cloaking, and all you get is a crappy supershield generator that is really slow. Even the Engi B and Federation C is better, and THAT'S saying something.

Actually Simo-H is my favorite among the c ships.
Starts off with best beam weapon, one if the best lasers shot/power ratio, an extra pt in engines. Buy a layer of shields, extra keep shield drone and you have a missle stopper right there. Easier start on this thing than most ships and enough firepower for 2 shield ships.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:14 am

SelphieSelfie wrote:Actually Simo-H is my favorite among the c ships.
Starts off with best beam weapon, one if the best lasers shot/power ratio, an extra pt in engines. Buy a layer of shields, extra keep shield drone and you have a missle stopper right there. Easier start on this thing than most ships and enough firepower for 2 shield ships.

The Nesasio has the Dual Lasers, Mini Beam and a Cloaking Device. Plus it has Titanium System Casing and good engines.
Apart from the lack of Shield Overcharger Drone, it's much better.

The main problem with the Simo-H is shared with the DA-SR12. Getting the first layer of shields.
dark33hawk

Postby dark33hawk » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Iranon wrote:I don't like the Bulwark, but you need missiles OR other weaponry OR another way to win.
If you can get some wins by boarding/asphyxiation/medbay hacking/mind control/whatever, missiles become a useful and fairly reliable fallback.
This ship is gimped when getting nothing useful over time, overall the risk is probably lower than for a ship that can lose outright in a single fight.

I respect your opinion over this ship.While i was play this ship for the first time i got the crystal ship AND beat the flagship(i had found a few defense drone and some lasers to water out the missiles). So you never know what things you can get. ;)
I've grown Scales since I left. But now I'm soaring again. Off to save the Federation and have fun!
dark33hawk

Postby dark33hawk » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Iranon wrote:I don't like the Bulwark, but you need missiles OR other weaponry OR another way to win.
If you can get some wins by boarding/asphyxiation/medbay hacking/mind control/whatever, missiles become a useful and fairly reliable fallback.
This ship is gimped when getting nothing useful over time, overall the risk is probably lower than for a ship that can lose outright in a single fight.

I respect your opinion over this ship.While i was play this ship for the first time i got the crystal ship AND beat the flagship(i had found a few defense drone and some lasers to water out the missiles). So this ship is one of my faves.
But i still hate the stealth C and the Zoltan C. one has two reactor bars and the other has no cloak for a STEALTH (also its in deasert camo so not the best when hiding in space)
I've grown Scales since I left. But now I'm soaring again. Off to save the Federation and have fun!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:49 pm

dark33hawk wrote:I respect your opinion over this ship.While i was play this ship for the first time i got the crystal ship AND beat the flagship(i had found a few defense drone and some lasers to water out the missiles). So this ship is one of my faves.

I was playing the Bulwark on the iPad version for the first time and I got the Crystal A (and the Rock B). I don't know if I won or lost the Flagship battle but afterwards I was like "Thank the Rock gods I don't have to fly that clunker again!"

And to this day, I haven't. I hate missiles. They don't work for the player but they always work for the AI and they'll always do the most damage. I'm not joking when they break into Life Support or the medbay (or both) and cause hull breaches and fire when you don't want either.

But i still hate the stealth C and the Zoltan C. one has two reactor bars and the other has no cloak for a STEALTH (also its in deasert camo so not the best when hiding in space)

Yeah and black isn't the best when hiding in space either. In fact, colour is the least important factor in space camouflage. I mean look at the SR-12 Normandy of Mass Effect. If it's a stealth ship why is it white? That frigate even goes onto planetary surfaces.

But I agree, screw the Zoltan C and the Stealth C.