"Small, six-legged, horse-like animals"

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Saffir

"Small, six-legged, horse-like animals"

Postby Saffir » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:10 am

Anyone figure out what the random sequence is with these?

1. Try to communicate peacefully - leads to dumb responses.

2. Bring some of the creatures on board to sell - tramples one of my crewmen to death

3. Leave. - Leaves?

I'm guessing I need a slug to unlock another option?
frognettle

Re: "Small, six-legged, horse-like animals"

Postby frognettle » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:12 am

While watching a stream I saw a guy choose the first option and the animals led him to a storage cache. Your guess about the slugs is probably right.
NWade

Postby NWade » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:17 am

Saffir wrote:Anyone figure out what the random sequence is with these?
1. Try to communicate peacefully - leads to dumb responses.
I'm guessing I need a slug to unlock another option?

I've never had a slug crewman (in over 30 playthroughs so far - argh!) so I can't speak to the blue-text option.

But I will say that sometimes when you try to communicate peacefully they either take you to a storage cache of weapons or supplies; and occasionally its an Engi cache and you "re-activate" an Engi (you gain an Engi crew member).

Enjoy,

--Noel
headhunter99

Postby headhunter99 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:28 am

im pretty sure that if you try to comunicate there is a chance that they might lead you to a crashed ship im pretty sure a slug does nothing
Unlucky Scarecrow

Postby Unlucky Scarecrow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:36 am

Slugs are telepathic to an extent, so it might work out. I've never seen the storage cache in any of my encounters, but I've gotten Engi crew more than half the time. I don't think there's a downside to trying to communicate, but I haven't picked the second option at all after the first time I tried it (I got trampled).
Ziggy Stardust

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:10 am

Ya, I have my doubts about the usefulness of trying to sell them. I got trampled to death when I tried that option the first time, so I don't choose it anymore.

The rest of the time, it's been pretty much 50/50 for me on whether they just stare at me, or they lead me to the downed Engie Ship where I get to reactivate the disabled Engie crewmember. No blue options as of yet, though my money's on long range scanners and/or slugmen.

Slugmen like to hang out in nebula regions since their telepathy can see through the fog to an extent. They tend to rob you blind though, so I'm not too fond of going there lookin' for one...
SlowerThanLight

Postby SlowerThanLight » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:21 am

Here, you can answer these kinds of questions easily from the data.dat file:

Code: Select all

<event name="DONOR_PONY" unique="true">
   <text>Scanners are showing intelligent life forms on a nearby planet. No match for them can be found in the database.</text>
   <choice hidden="true">
      <text>Investigate.</text>
      <event>
         <text>You land a small shuttle in an enormous field, whose only occupants are small, six-legged, horse-like animals. Could they be what your scans picked up?</text>
         <choice hidden="true">
            <text>Try to communicate peacefully.</text>
            <event load="DONOR_PONY_PEACE"/>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true">
            <text>Bring some of the creatures on board to sell.</text>
            <event load="DONOR_PONY_SELL"/>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true">
            <text>Leave.</text>
            <event>
               <text>This isn't the time for exobiology. You head back to the ship.</text>
            </event>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="slug">
            <text>(Slugman Crew) Attempt to communicate telepathically.</text>
            <event>
               <text>After a moment, your crew tells you that these are simple beings, who enjoy a peaceful life. However, this isn't the first time a ship has landed here. They inform you of a nearby crash site.</text>
               <choice hidden="true">
                  <text>Continue...</text>
                  <event>
                     <text>You follow their directions and discover an ancient Engi ship. You find a deactivated Engi inside and reroute power from your shuttle to resuscitate it. After a while it reboots, rebuilds itself, and offers to join your crew.</text>
                     <crewMember amount="1" class="engi"/>
                  </event>
               </choice>
            </event>
         </choice>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true">
      <text>Ignore it.</text>
      <event>
         <text>You ignore the readings and prepare to move on.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>
<eventList name="DONOR_PONY_PEACE">
   <event>
      <text>None of your attempts to communicate seem to work: they just stare at you silently. As you prepare to leave, one of the creatures canters forward and forcefully nudges you away from the ship. He seems to want you to follow him. Eventually, the creatures guide you to an old Engi ship's crash site. Inside you are able to find and reactivate an Engi!</text>
      <crewMember amount="1" class="engi"/>
      <autoReward level="LOW">standard</autoReward>
   </event>
   <event>
      <text>You try to communicate in every possible way you can but they just stand there, silently judging you with their large, expressionless eyes. You prepare to leave. </text>
   </event>
</eventList>
<eventList name="DONOR_PONY_SELL">
   <event>
      <text>The seemingly docile creatures quickly turn violent when you reveal your hostile intentions. Their well-organized stampede forces you to draw weapons and make a rushed and shambolic retreat to the shuttle.</text>
   </event>
   <event>
      <text>The seemingly docile creatures quickly turn violent when you show your hostile intentions. They stampede with terrifying force, trampling one of your crew before you have time to react. You fight your way back to the shuttle and prepare to jump.</text>
      <crewMember amount="-1"/>
   </event>
</eventList>
Mark Sandor

Postby Mark Sandor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Spoiler above. Just sayin :)
Eyjio

Postby Eyjio » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:20 pm

So there's literally no reason to not try to communicate peacefully?
Ottomic

Postby Ottomic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:14 pm

I haven't read the spoiler above, but capturing them has always sounded a bit dumb to me. Also, option 1 has never given me bad results: neutral at worst, a pre-igniter at best.

God bless those space ponies.