An interesting, albeit bleak, situation

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Otto Weston

Re: An interesting, albeit bleak, situation

Postby Otto Weston » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 pm

kramari wrote:This reminds me of a situation I was in. It appears that you lose if you lose your ship but your away team was on another ship. Too bad you can't just take over their ship and continue playing.

That would be cool, just keep the ship u captured xD
Winjin

Postby Winjin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:08 pm

I am pretty sure your mission is over when the ship is destroyed in this situation.
Don't forget, you're a courier with some information that is vital to Federation. Most probably the crew will not be carrying that info on them to board the enemy vessel, so once your ship is destroyed, you have no other option than to abort.
Though it would be interesting if you, for example, used biobeams and ion weapons to leave the other ship intact, while your had, for example, less than 25% hull, and either switch to it OR spend a whole turn in place, using the intact ship to repair your own some substantial damage, like 30-35%.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:03 am

Winjin wrote:I am pretty sure your mission is over when the ship is destroyed in this situation.
Don't forget, you're a courier with some information that is vital to Federation. Most probably the crew will not be carrying that info on them to board the enemy vessel, so once your ship is destroyed, you have no other option than to abort.
Though it would be interesting if you, for example, used biobeams and ion weapons to leave the other ship intact, while your had, for example, less than 25% hull, and either switch to it OR spend a whole turn in place, using the intact ship to repair your own some substantial damage, like 30-35%.

I like the idea about using an intact, captured ship to repair your own ship. I think this option should only be available if the ship is of the same make. If you were driving an engi ship, you could capture another engi ship and use it to repair the same amount of HP that the enemy ship has left.
Winjin

Postby Winjin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:19 am

GoldenShadowGS wrote: I like the idea about using an intact, captured ship to repair your own ship. I think this option should only be available if the ship is of the same make. If you were driving an engi ship, you could capture another engi ship and use it to repair the same amount of HP that the enemy ship has left.

I agree. Though I suppose since it's hard to come up with ships of the same type, it could be different - for example if you use the same type it's kinda like 8 points of hull, if other - 4 points. That way you can repair even the Crystaline or Stealth ships, and benefit greatly from less head-on approach. Though it is already rewarding in itself - managing to kill the crew without destroying the ship is always lots of fun. I once had two breach drones, and a breach mine. Theses three really sent them running!
Balanuir

Postby Balanuir » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 am

Wow. What a cool situation and how cool that the devs thought of that. The more I play this game the more I think it would've been worth twice its price.
Retro

Postby Retro » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:28 am

This reminds me of something that happened in the stealth ship type A recently.

Had 4 Mantis board me, I had door systems level 2 and so decided to vent the whole ship except for medbay and the helm (i needed the evasion as I had no shields) As my 2 crewmen pulled back to the med bay, they conducted a kind of fighting retreat against the boarders. Atleast the pilot was safe for now. Then as the Mantis finally get into med bay, disaster strikes. My door system is hit and the 2 crew men are eventually killed. All that remains of the boarders are 2 very badly injured mantis at roughly 10% health.

The ship to ship battle then takes another turn for the worst as my helm is destroyed. What do I do? My weapons are damaged but I still have 2 power. Medbay is currently being dismantled by some very vengeful insects shots are still flying in from badly damaged ship, but fortunately the cloak is still functional. I decide to stop the mantis from destroying medbay.

After a journey through vacuum my pilot is at around 50% health when he reaches the now destroyed med bay. At that moment the cloak is hit and taken offline. A few heart stopping moments later and my pilot emerges victorious, but only just. He immediately starts fixing med bay and by the time he finishes, the killing blow is dealt to the enemy ship. (intact this has just given me an idea about unmanned weapon systems, perhaps you shouldn't be able to change target if they're unmanned)

Right so I'm in a bad way, but hey, the enemy is destroyed and things are looking good right? Now to repairs. Ok best get my door system back online so I can repressurise the rest of the ship... Wrong. I don't have enough health (or so I think by attempting several times and going as far as I dare) to get down there repair the system to lvl 1 and get back to medbay. In the end I opt for repairing the helm and hoping I can somehow get out of this at another beacon.

Wish i'd have taken a screenie of the final dilemma for you to see.
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:12 pm

This is cool to know, thanks. I've been doing Mantis B runs lately. I panicked and pulled all of my crew back after I took a hit to the teleporter that was slowly burning away.