So, is normal on the Stealth ship even possible?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
cuthawolf

So, is normal on the Stealth ship even possible?

Postby cuthawolf » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:54 am

I'm curious. I've never found this ship frustrating because everything about the starting with it is just totally random. Did you encounter a ship with drones? You die. Did you find a shield vendor by system 2? You die.

I'm sure people have done it on normal, do those people have any hints, tips or tactics to recommend? It's one of the few remaining ships whose achievements I've not done on normal.
itg

Re: So, is normal on the Stealth ship even possible?

Postby itg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:38 am

It sounds like you're mainly talking about the Stealth A here, so my comments will be directed toward that ship.

The Stealth A is definitely one of the trickier ships to play, but it's actually pretty good if you know exactly what you're doing. A lot of good players consider the Nesasio roughly mid-tier, and an experienced player can win reliably with it on normal.

The Stealth A actually has a pretty strong early game on average. You can avoid hazards, thanks to the long-range scanners, and in most battles, you'll be able to cloak past the first volley, then take out the weapons bay when you return fire. In case it's not obvious, the best plan is often to aim the dual lasers at the weapons bay, then fire the mini beam, hitting weapons and 2-3 other rooms, while the shields are overwhelmed.

Of course, anti-ship drones/beam drones are the biggest challenge, but you can avoid taking too much damage if you deliberately eat any shots not aimed at your weapons or cloaking. You can estimate which room the drone is aiming at by mentally tracing a line from the drone to the opposite side of the ship. The drone always shoots on line, and it tends to shoot at the far side. Of course, taking out the drone bay is your top priority in these battles, and remember that you can always run away if you have to.

Although buying shields is a high priority, with good weapons and upgraded cloaking, you can go surprisingly far without them. It's possible to win the game without ever buying shields, although that takes some luck.
Red Rocket

Postby Red Rocket » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:52 am

I agree with you that altough stealth A is hard, you can win the game, but beating the game without shields is something else. Sure first stage of the boss is no problem, but second stage with those dronewaves are IMO not survivalble without shield. You can cloak through the first wave, but the second wave will rip you a new one, while your cloak is on cooldown, even level 1 cloak has a longer cooldown than the dronewaves.
So is you mean beating the game is getting to the end boss, i agree.
But that second stage is not survivable without them.
itg

Postby itg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:16 am

That second phase is not easily survivable without shields, but it's possible if you get the right equipment (that takes substantial luck). I did it myself with the Stealth B: http://imgur.com/a/YFS0h. Others have done it with the Stealth A. Defense drones mk II help a lot.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:23 am

I have beaten the game with both the Nesasio and the DA-SR 12 on camera twice. I've never lost with it on camera, though I did have to restart my 1st DA-SR 12 run because of a game crash.

Old, so I wansn't very good. I still won:
Nesasio
DA-SR 12

Newer, I was better at the game:
Nesasio
DA-SR 12

(Note: I don't play and then decide to post. I decide I'm going to post and then I play. So if I'd lost, I'd have posted it.)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:20 pm

I don't like playing without shields, but I modded a ship without them and still managed to win.

Steam Image Link

This isn't as impressive as a Nesasio or DA-SR 12 run without shields, because of that special Glaive Beam that I gave it. It really comes down to being able to kill the enemy fast.
Red Rocket

Postby Red Rocket » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Wow oke, I really didn't think it was possible, but if you say it is possible but really hard and after seeing the photo's I have to believe you.
If tried it a couple of times but didnt succeed, and looking at some better players than me trying it on YT and failed as well, I just assumed it wasn't possible.
cuthawolf

Postby cuthawolf » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:55 am

Well so now I know it's possible, I just have to try and get it done myself >.< I hate this ship.

Edit: -Redacted-

Second Edit: Deleted first edit because it was whining. ^^;;
max_torch

Postby max_torch » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:18 am

All I can say is just make the most of of the beam weapon. Hit maximum rooms possible
Levgre

Postby Levgre » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:30 pm

I Find Stealth A a lot more dependable than Stealth B. Early game, cooldown is king since it's so easy to disable enemy weapons systems, and Stealth A's duo weapons have 15 seconds less CD. 25 second charge with 4 power is just realllly iffy without shields, so much time to be interrupted, and really is just overkill. Stealth A also starts with 1.75x FTL charge, in the case that you get a series of unlucky hits against you. With Stealth B, it's going to take a long time to get away.

Titanium Casing is great for selling for I think 50 scrap, get your stealth up to level 3 faster, or whatever you need.

Long range sensors are incredibly good early on, equal if not better to the +10% scrap augment. Fight as many battles as you can, it's easy scrap early on, compared to random events, empty zones, etc. And of course, it helps you avoid some of the troublesome hazards like ion storms and asteroid fields. I avoid solar flares if possible, but really they are not that troublesome and will go to them for an easy kill.