Maximum Jump Length?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
lusciouspear

Maximum Jump Length?

Postby lusciouspear » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:35 am

Hey there,

I've been pwned a few times in the game because I can't figure out the maximum jump length from one beacon to another. So sometimes I'm too far from the exit and have to backtack like... 5 beacons to exit!

This is hella frustrating :)

Any ideas?
Algarth

Re: Maximum Jump Length?

Postby Algarth » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:53 am

It seems to me like there's not so much a distance limit as a set series of paths that usually goes to all nearby beacons. So some beacons, especially outliers, are dead ends. I could be very wrong, though.

*Minor spoiler* There is an upgrade to let you jump to any previously visited node.
PhilBlunt

Postby PhilBlunt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:56 am

You're gonna have to get the ruler out. Hope you can count millimeters!
Sisaroth

Postby Sisaroth » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:10 am

It would be handy if you could right-click a beacon so it would show which beacons are in range from that beacon.
cuthawolf

Postby cuthawolf » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:30 am

Yeah I just got hosed by this one myself. Finally recovered from having only one crew, got caught in a dead end and savaged by the rebel fleet. Pretty frustrating.
Maya

Postby Maya » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 am

Sisaroth wrote:It would be handy if you could right-click a beacon so it would show which beacons are in range from that beacon.

That would be to easy, even on easy difficulty^^
You just need to learn to appreciate it as good as possible and if you aren't shure about a distance, then take an other route if possible or get ready to face the rebell fleet severel times^^ But normally it's very hard to get stuck into dead ends and i just managed it one time to get in one (but at least i had enough time to get back and take a better route without catched by Rebells^^)
JHawkInc

Postby JHawkInc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:10 pm

I wouldn't make it something you can easily figure out. Part of the challenge in picking where to jump to is trying not to get caught with bad jump options.

Of course, could do some ship augmentations that would work with jumps. One "scout" thing that lets you see jump options from an adjacent beacon. (advanced sensors? a scout/drone thing you actually "launch" to send info back to you, costing resources? got some good thematic options) Also, things to extend jump length might work. If that is too powerful, you could just make it risky or have a cost (you can jump further, but shields are lower when you arrive, or some other "penalty" you pay for getting to jump further).

Just some thoughts.
alexanderpas

Postby alexanderpas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:43 pm

PhilBlunt wrote:You're gonna have to get the ruler out. Hope you can count millimeters!

can you count to 10?
PhilBlunt

Postby PhilBlunt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:28 pm

alexanderpas wrote:can you count to 10?

That's only 1 cm.