The Improbable Infinity Ship - Highest Highscore

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
shadowcrust

The Improbable Infinity Ship - Highest Highscore

Postby shadowcrust » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:48 am

I set out for a small personal achievement: getting more than 5000 points with every ship type. The Red-Tail was still lacking this score, having obtained only 4992 points at best, despite having done many runs with it - I figure this ship is easy enough to get a very high chance on winning and I mainly used it to get new ship types (especially the Mantis ship), but doesn't invite taking too many risks with my playing style.

It was not a very special run, until I got a Weapon Pre-igniter in Sector 6 along with a Burst Laser II. Together with two Basic Lasers the ship featured now a whopping five laser shots, well-rounded with a Hull Beam. On the defense I got 4 shields, a Drone Recovery Arm and a Defense Drone I, as well as a level 1 cloak. This setup allowed me to exploit the Elite Fighters for about 300 ships when I had to move on the Sector 7 because of extended hull damage. In Sector 7 (Slug Home Nebula) I had the chance to buy another Burst Laser II and maximised the energy bars to 25. With this, I could volley 7 laser shots at the Elite Fighters in the Nebula, who only had two shields powered up, same as my own ship. With 7 energy bars in weapons and 4 in shields, there were only one each left for engine and oxygen, and with creative power distribution boarding, healing and cloaking could be obtained if needed. Unfortunately, I had no Zoltan crew members. I mostly boarded enemy ships after having shot their medbay, but also just destroyed a fair number of ships. The highest risk were Elite Fighters with small rocket launchers like Leto or Artemis, although most hull damage taken was due to avoidable mistakes like cloaking and at the same time firing weapons and thus nullifying the cloak.

With this setup, I could add a total of 1400 Elite Fighters to the score, which was carefully calculated to beat the previous Highest Highscore of nakedian on Easy, see here: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2155&start=180.

And that I did: behold the new Highest Highscore of 40207 points, done with lots of luck and labor and some skill.

Sadly, I lost my pair of homicidal boarding Mantis with a reckless maneuver at the first stage of the Flagship fight, but alas, their new Kill record may hold even longer than the overall points record.

While playing this very long game, I noticed some peculiarities. First, the Attack Drones deactivate the enemy shield for a shorter period of time than the Burst Laser shots, which was quite apparent with my Hull Beam finishing attack. Second, there are two bugs with boarding enemies: if rebels teleported into my Weapons room, there was a chance that one rebel ended up in the Engine room instead (and I got level 2 doors, so they couldn't just walk there). If they teleported into the Engine room, sometimes one of the rebels took a detour in a hidden passage outside the ship and through the Shields room before ending up in the Engine room.

I call this Red-Tail shown above an Infinity Ship, as with more patience, time and motivation I could have continued wasting rebels for many more rounds, but I was satisfied beating the previous Highscore. Other ships like the two Zoltan Cruisers are much better Infinity Ships, as they have an additional protection against player mistakes. Second after the Zoltan ships I'd say the Carnelian and the Basilisk are better candidates to achieve an Infinity ship as well (with their extended teleporter), but the highest satisfaction may be achieved with a Stealth Fighter or Vortex Infinity ship.

That's it for now, all attempts to beat that score are encouraged, but I guess it will take some effort :-)
5thHorseman

Re: The Improbable Infinity Ship - Highest Highscore

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:44 am

*clap*

*clap*

*clap*
*clap*
*clap*clap*clap*clapclapclapclapclapclapclap.

Well done, sir. I knew it was possible but never knew someone would do it. :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Thankee-sai - I did it all for glory, fame and praise :-)
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Well, since you broke the game's scoring system completely that makes you number 1 forever. :mrgreen:
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
Boomboofer

Postby Boomboofer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Holy crap! I had wondered what the highest score anyone has gotten was, I thought someone might have breached the 7k mark, but 40k? :shock: That takes some serious effort. Also, didn't realise that kind of grinding was possible. Congrats!
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:35 am

Thanks! I guess the game took roughly 40 hours playing time spread over several weeks.

I just realised that also without massively engaging the Elite Fighters in sector 6 and 7, this game would have scored more than 5000 points: 1400 Elite Fighters x 25 points each is 35000 points, so 5207 points remain for the normal game.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 am

You know what? I think I'll have to accept the challenge-- I'll see if I can get a higher score.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Best of luck for The Next Generation of high scores! Bonus fame if you use the Vortex - which I think is perfectly possible, as I've hinted at in this sadly unappreciated post, where I was essentially too lazy to make the Engi B the ship with the highest score (second highest was good enough).
Ora_unit_SR388

Postby Ora_unit_SR388 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:37 am

The highest ship score I have ever gotten was 4 months in INF space. I managed to break the scrap system :lol: . I will try and see what my score was later.
nimitz98

Postby nimitz98 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:38 pm

UNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG. The thought of all that grinding makes my brain hurt.