How to survive no air in the broken O2 room.

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
GoldenShadowGS

How to survive no air in the broken O2 room.

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:45 pm

This is something that happens often. You have a fire in the O2 room. the fire burns up the O2 machines and use up the oxygen so your guys can't stand in there long enough to repair it without dieing.

Or another example. say you had enemy boarders in your oxygen room and you vent the air to asphyxiate them. How can you safely repair the O2 without losing a guy to asphyxiation yourself?

Heres how I figured it. You will need to make sure the outer airlocks are closed and there is no hull breaches. The simple trick is to open all of the interior doors in the ship. Some of your rooms would still have air in them, this air will spread out into the empty rooms even if the O2 system is offline. This will give your repair person a chance to fix it without taking asphyxiation damage. When its repair, remember to close all of the interior doors again.
Zuriki

Re: How to survive no air in the broken O2 room.

Postby Zuriki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:59 pm

This only works assuming that O2 levels haven't dropped too much already. You might have a room full of air, and a bunch of rooms with no air, when it spreads out (slowly) you might find yourself with more rooms without air. Personally, I find it better to have people waiting in the med bay, then send the in one by one. But doing it so that there is always one person in the room at a time.

eg.

Send PersonA
PersonA at 60% health
Send PersonB
When PersonB arrives, send PersonA to medbay
PersonB at 60% health
Send PersonC...

The medbay currently heals faster than suffocation kills, so you can exploit that.
Melacar

Postby Melacar » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Zuriki wrote:The medbay currently heals faster than suffocation kills, so you can exploit that.

Only if you have it upgraded past the first level, I've looked and it's a stand still on health if you have them standing in medbay.
Zuriki

Postby Zuriki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Hm. I've never upgraded my medbay and it's always worked out for me...
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:58 pm

If your medbay has no air, the asphyxiation damage is equal to the healing at medbay level 1. If your medbay has air, then you won't take asphyxiation damage.

You can tell when a room will cause asphyxiation. It will turn pink and have a yellow border. The damage stop at the point when the yellow border disappears.
Wisq

Postby Wisq » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:10 pm

One thing to remember is that you retain repair progress so long as just one person is repairing the item.

I've been in a situation where the danger was past and I had oxygen in the medbay, but the main corridors were depressurised, and door control was broken. I sent guys to work on it, but due to the long corridor and my entire crew being Zoltans, there wasn't enough time to repair a single bar and still make it to a safe room. So I sent Zolt #1 to work on it, then sent #2 shortly after, then when #2 reached it and started working on it, recalled #1 and sent #3, etc. Worked out okay in the end.
Wordsmith

Postby Wordsmith » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Also, Engis, if you have any, can generally repair anything faster than they suffocate.
"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Maya

Postby Maya » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:02 pm

The easiest way for me is to send two people in and repair it in just one turn. That way they normally don't die (expect Zoltan and Mantis^^) and i don't need to click arund the hole time. But i also try to get a Rock within the first Sectors and sending him near or in the Oxygensector so i don't need to open the doors.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:37 am

Those crystalmen are really good for sealing hull breaches and fixing the O2 system. they take reduced damage from asphyxiation and have extra HP too.
antisyzygy

Postby antisyzygy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:08 am

If you open doors from oxygenated rooms to non-oxygenated rooms it looks to me like it sort of blends the rooms O2 levels.